Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV vs. ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think everybody understands that BEVs don’t yet meet everyone’s use cases. That’s changing over time as range offerings increase, prices fall, and more varied form factors become available (think electric pickups, vans, and SUVs). I was thinking about this the last few days as I was musing that we are now an all-BEV family and can’t see us ever going back to an ICE vehicle.
When I had ICE cars (most recently, 2009 Toyota Camry, 2012 Toyota Prius) I also had range anxiety, but I was intimately familiar with my ICE cars’ range factors. Still, it always made me feel anxious if I had less than a quarter tank. The thing I hated the most about ICE cars was putting gas in them. Driving out of my way to a gas station, sometimes having to wait for a pump (the Wawas are busy here), putting my CC in the machine, and standing there in whatever weather was happening to fill the tank. It wasn’t a lengthy procedure, but I really hated it and it had to be done at least twice a month, regardless of how short my commute was. My wife hated it even more - she wouldn’t do it. If she was running low, she’d ask to swap cars for the day and I would fill up her car. Then there was leaving on a trip - there was always that detour to the gas station to fill up at the start of the trip. When I had ICEs, every time I had to fill up I would silently grouse about it to myself. As I was approaching empty I would say to myself, “Maybe I can squeeze one more trip out before I fill up,” or “Ehh, I’ll fill it up on the way to work in the morning.” Nothing aggravated me more about ICE cars than gassing them up. Except maybe oil changes. Yes, oil changes, though less frequent, were a much greater inconvenience. And a lot more expensive (Prius was synthetic oil). I really hated oil changes.
Now that we’re an all-BEV family, my wife never has to go to Wawa. She can just plug it in when she gets home. If she drives to her daughter’s house she can plug in there (daughter has a HPWC, too - she has a MX). She never has to take a detour before a trip to fill up - the car is always topped off at home. And no multiple oil changes per year. This feels like cheating. This is like back in about 2000 when online bill-pay replaced writing paper checks every month. I can’t imagine going back.

Just sold our Buick so we can join the all-BEV crowd. My Model 3 was the trial balloon, the toe in the water, the “test” corner of the brownie. Now replacing the family-hauler Buick with a Model X.

We’re all in. BEVs are real, and practical. Maybe there’s corner cases where it isn’t, but for a huge chunk of the population; we’re there. Price, too. Here in Jersey, you can walk out the door with an SR+ for $32,990, all in. Cheaper than a Camry.

Been all BEV since mid 2018. Wife had swapped her BMW in 2013 for her 1st MS. I sold my Smart Car a year later. Then drove our last BMW till the Model 3 finally arrived. But kept that BMW (just in case). After a few months of it sitting there, we gave it to a friend in need. (He'll eventually hate us for that).

But, yeah, miss the folks at the local GAS-arina. Wave as I go by. Laugh after passing (lately maniacally). After a time catch someone talking about gas prices and realizing I never glance at the price signs anymore (like it ever meant I wouldn't pay).
That is a good thing to lose.

But another (unexpected) benefit is how relaxing it is to take a trip. To stop, at most, every 2-3 hours and take a break (while charging) and knowing that those gas station stops were never 5 minutes - or even ten. Cuz on trips, gas meant, credit card, bathroom, snacks, and reorganizing for next stretch. Now, stopping for charge, you have that time anyway, plus you can plan the next leg - to make sure everything ahead is ok.

And at the recent SpC's at gas stations, you can glance over and secretly grin - cuz you're looking at the past.

Reactions: Zer0t and GSP
The gas station trips for me were generally uneventful, but not having to go is definitely a big plus. Though, what really impresses me as I'm driving longer distances now, is how comfortable the car is. And this is without taking the advantages of Autopilot into consideration. In my case, the single speed gearbox, the seats, and the spacious, low-dash, minimalist design are what contribute to the comfort. I contrast it to my friend's 2020 Mercedes S63's cabin where there's about 100 buttons scattered about and looks like the cockpit of a 737. It's cool looking, but functionally inferior IMO. And while the sport seats are great, and the cabin is very spacious, it still lacks in overall comfort compared to the M3.

The M3 is also a jack of all trades it terms of performance. It's quick, corners well with great steering feel, and traction is excellent. Even on wet roads at speed, there's no hydroplaning or instability. It really is a joy to drive. And more so than I expected coming from a brute muscle car.

Another great thing is the lack of the usual ICE odours. No exhaust fumes, oil, gas, transmission fluid, or brake dust smells.

I paid more than I thought I'd ever pay for a car, but it is worth every penny IMO. And I haven't even touched on the tech.

Reactions: GSP
Just waiting to get my wife’s Model Y and we will say goodbye to ICE forever.

I can’t imagine going back. I loved ICE cars, had many performance and sports cars, manual transmissions, nice exhaust note... but now, it feels like a new era. I, too, hate going to the gas station and my wife hates it even more. I am in the same boat, I was the one who filled the cars 95% of the time.

There were definitely ICE cars I’ve enjoyed. I had a 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder for about 5 years. I loved that car. That was fun to drive - my favorite ICE. Traded it in when I bought my Camry. The MR2 was just not a practical family car (2-seater with only 1.5 cubic feet of cargo storage - by comparison, the Miata had 4.5). As much as I enjoyed the MR2, I couldn’t even imagine going back to one of those.

Now that we’re an all-BEV family, my wife never has to go to Wawa. She can just plug it in when she gets home. If she drives to her daughter’s house she can plug in there (daughter has a HPWC, too - she has a MX). She never has to take a detour before a trip to fill up - the car is always topped off at home. And no multiple oil changes per year. This feels like cheating. This is like back in about 2000 when online bill-pay replaced writing paper checks every month. I can’t imagine going back.
But you could if you wanted to.

There's a Supercharger in Wawa, ON.
Find Us | Tesla

What is this irrational fear of gas stations? you pull up, run the card, stick the nozzle in, chill in your car for 5 minutes, call someone, post on this forum, put the nozzle back, go on your way. When did we become such delicate little flowers that cannot emotionally handle such a simple 1st world activity?

FYI there is no EV that can suit my needs yet. I was looking forward to the Cybertruck but when it rolled out, my wife said she'd divorce me if I bought something that hideous.

Reactions: Just a Reader
It’s not a fear; it’s just hatred. Having to stop at the gas station is like having to clean your room as a kid. It’s especially bad for folks who live in rural areas where the gas station might be 5 miles out of your way. Like I said, not doing that anymore is like using online bill pay. Writing paper checks every month and stuffing them in envelopes and mailing them was sheer drudgery. Now most bills are auto-pay and the remainder are a couple of button clicks.

Reactions: GSP
What is this irrational fear of gas stations? you pull up, run the card, stick the nozzle in, chill in your car for 5 minutes, call someone, post on this forum, put the nozzle back, go on your way. When did we become such delicate little flowers that cannot emotionally handle such a simple 1st world activity?

FYI there is no EV that can suit my needs yet. I was looking forward to the Cybertruck but when it rolled out, my wife said she'd divorce me if I bought something that hideous.

No fear here. But when I fill an ICE car and watch those dollar signs fly by, it gnaws on me to realize that I'd spend 1/4 that (or less - because solar) on electricity for the same miles when charging at home. Not to mention lack of oil changes, various other engine/transmission maintenance and repairs, smog checks, etc. Plus the quiet, effortless, instant acceleration of a Tesla is intoxicating in its own right.

The Cybertruck is polarizing to be sure. It has grown on me a bit. But it certainly leaves the market open for more conventional designs.

You forgot breathing toxic fumes.

Gas stations vent far more toxic fumes than previously thought

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I spotted an article today on (of all places!) oilprice.com . . .

The Next Step In The Electric Vehicle Evolution | OilPrice.com

Despite the source, most of the article is pretty well balanced. There was one bit that I couldn't swallow, though:

Still, two more obstacles remain on the road to making EVs the dominant form of road transportation, and Lux Research analysts accurately call them range anxiety and charge time trauma. The reference to mental issues is not accidental. Besides their price, an inherent mistrust of EVs is a big reason why they are not a more common sight on roads and streets around the world.

Resolving these issues will take time, and they cannot be rushed, unless carmakers start handing out free EVs. After all, EVs are not an improvement on the ICE technology the way digital cameras were an improvement on analog ones. EVs are an alternative technology whose main advantage is that it does not emit noxious gases.

From where I sit, EVs are an improvement on the ICE technology in very much the way digital cameras were an improvement over analog ones. They're faster, smoother, quieter, more convenient, cheaper to operate and maintain. The way digital cameras took over is actually a pretty good analogy, and I suspect there's a lot to be learned from studying how that transition played out.

As for range anxiety and, heh, "charge time trauma". . . I've had the Model S LR+ for about three months now. Its range is right up with gas cars, plus routine overnight charging and starting every morning at full. I'm gradually realizing just how much overkill that is, for me. I'm not sure I've ever taken a day trip that this car couldn't easily handle without even stopping to charge. Almost the only time I could ever see needing to charge away from home would be on a long, multi-day road trip.

I think as charging stations become more widespread and ubiquitous, cars like the LR+ will seem kind of freakish. They might not disappear completely, but most people simply won't see the need.

We’re joining the all BEV group today, and have approval on my Tesla solar with 3 PW, when I pick up our model Y PUP. I do think that on road trips charging is kind tantamount to making a stop for gas.

I also like not having the expensive and planned services that I had with out Mercedes Benz’. At the dealer and a service on my wife’s S550 could 13-1600 bucks. Even the wiper blades were over 400 bucks. It was a great car and I really like my GL sedan but for her the 2020 S LR+ more than fits her locally based driving needs and would serve us well on a long trip. The MY I’ll use for my occasional commute (12 miles round trip) and have available when my kids visit.

‘My S has free supercharging and hoping to charge the Y from sunlight.