Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I'm finally moving out of the renting world and buying my first place. One of things I'm most excited about is just owning my own garage that I can install a charger and stop relying on the 120v outlet that I've been using to charge my car when at my apartment currently.

As far as I'm aware there are really 3 options of what I can do here and I'm having a hard time deciding between them so would love any thoughts here:

1. NEMA 14-50 outlet: That is what is recommended on my tesla account page, and I have the mobile adapter for it so probably the cheapest option to just have one of these installed. I've also seen some third party plug in chargers require a NEMA 6-50. Not sure what the difference or benefit there is.

2. Tesla wall charger: Feels fancy? Not sure what the benefits are to this over just using the mobile charger but it's always been nice to imagine having a tesla wall charger built in.

3. Third party EV charger: I'm thinking of something like a chargepoint or juicebox. The only reason these come to mind is because I see rebate programs around these sometimes from SDG&E and I know they have wifi monitoring software and stuff (not sure if Tesla's wall charger does this). Downside of course is having to use an adapter to charge, but I guess also nice because if I or my partner ever got a non-tesla EV (gasp), we'd already have a charger ready to go?

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions here!

• Funny
Reactions: Solar40
If you want to save a few hundred dollars and don’t expect to carry the mobile charger with the car all the time, then go with the NEMA 14-50, the simplest and the cheapest option.

Tesla Wall Connector gives you the following benefits though: it can supply higher current than 40A, it is more convenient to use than other options, it is hard-wired all the way to the circuit breaker (fewer connections, safer and less likely to break), and it allows you to keep your mobile charger inside the car at all times. It also allows you to load-balance multiple chargers - important for multi-Tesla households.

The only reason to go with a third-party EV charger, in my opinion, is if you expect other types of cars use it in the future. Otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend it. Don’t worry about any WiFi monitoring in the charger. Your Tesla does all the monitoring you need and allows you to control the charging from the Tesla app.

Congrats on your new home!

Last edited:
I'm renting a house out in the SoCali desert. I approached the owner about installing a Tesla charger but they did not want any modifications done to the house. Turns out the washer and dryer are adjacent to the garage. I picked up an extension "cord" for the high-voltage dryer outlet and plugged the mobile cable into it. Works perfectly and is a lot faster than 120-volt outlets. 240 volts, 24 amps. Of course, when you charge at home, your electric bill does go up.

Southern California Edison, the local power provider, sent me a letter pointing out how my usage has recently increased. They urged me to conserve. I sent them this tweet:

@SCE Yes, thank you for the reminder to conserve energy. I know usage has gone up. I bought a @tesla. So you're getting business that @exxonmobil isn't. Cheers! #Tesla

Tesla tap site has excellent advice.

There is nothing wrong with trying out different options. I used a 5-20 outlet for 6 months and it was not a problem.

Then, I evaulated my panel and decided on a 6-50 outlet, and a new gen 2 connector. Total cost less than 500, did the work myself.

Efficiency went from 75 to 85 percent. However, it will take 20 years to pay back this minor investment. So, I think only install the capability you really need on a daily basis, which is a course a function of how much you drive daily. If less than 50 miles, you have low cost options.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Shadnic
One of the reasons I say 14-50 with existing UMC is short sighted is if you keep the car long you will end up buying another connector of some sort. The original UMC with my car the plug gets warm not hot, not dangerous but definitely warmer than supercharger or wall connector at higher charge rates. I cleaned the connection repeatedly to make sure it was not just dirt. Best diagnosis is the connection is loose from 80k miles worth of use. I have a UMC 1 that while it does warm the handle works. I could continue to wear it out the rest of the way or do like I did and buy a second charging solution and save my 40amp capable one.

If you agree with me a second charging solution is a good idea, never know when a lightning strike with kill a UMC or damaged somehow or whatever. Then a UMC2 is $300 and if doing 14-50 Tesla recommends a $70 Hubbell outlet meant to take more plug/unplug cycles, then 14-50 also needs a third large gauge conductor narrowing the price gap between it and the $500wall connector.

• Helpful
Go with a 14-50 outlet.

You can immediately use the UMC that comes with the car.

And then if you want something more permanent (so you can take the UMC with you or you want to charge faster), then you can either by the 14-50 corded connector or get an HPWC.

Tesla announced they planned to offer a version of the HPWC with a 14-50 plug (though I don't see that in the online store right now). That would allow you to mount the HPWC on the wall and then plug it in permanently into the 14-50 outlet.

Another option would be to hardwire the HPWC to the power connection for the 14-50 outlet. This is what we did several months ago, and after our electrician reviewed the wiring, he upgrade the breaker for that outlet to 60A, so we're now able to use the HPWC to charge at 48A - 50% faster than the 32A we were getting with the Gen 2 UMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shadnic
Another option would be to hardwire the HPWC to the power connection for the 14-50 outlet. This is what we did several months ago, and after our electrician reviewed the wiring, he upgrade the breaker for that outlet to 60A, so we're now able to use the HPWC to charge at 48A - 50% faster than the 32A we were getting with the Gen 2 UMC.

Just pointing out for the sake of others reading this that a 60 amp breaker and 48 amps of continuous current through a 14-50 receptacle rated at 50 amps / 40 continuous is obviously not code compliant and pretty dangerous.

There are enough threads and gory pics on here of mangled/melted 14-50 sockets that I’d never push more current through one than they were designed for. In fact I generally leave mine at 32A unless I need the faster charging.

EDIT: sorry, I think I misread this. I had the impression you were talking about a 14-50 pigtail on the HPWC through a receptacle, not re-using the wire from the prior 14-50 circuit to hard wire directly.

Reactions: GSP
Tesla announced they planned to offer a version of the HPWC with a 14-50 plug (though I don't see that in the online store right now). That would allow you to mount the HPWC on the wall and then plug it in permanently into the 14-50 outlet.

Ohhh you know this would be ideal. I could install a 14-50 for adaptability and still get the look/feel of a HPWC. Based on the blog posts someone posted above it sounds like this used to exist and then got discontinued. Were they unsafe? Is it worth hunting on ebay for one? When did you hear they were going to offer a new version?

Either way it sounds like I'm probably best off with a 14-50 for now, though open to more opinions if anyone's got em. Thanks for the help everyone!

If you have a significant run, nothing wrong with a 6-50 outlet. Wire is cheaper, easier to stuff in a box, and quality extention cords (UL listed, 50A continious) cords, should you need them, are avail for < 100.00. total DIY cost for this is maybe 600, including a gen 2 MC, 6/2 Romex, 50a GFCI outlet, old work box, Hubble outlet.

Leave the Gen 2 plugged in, the other MC stays with the car as a spare and for RT.

• Informative
Reactions: Shadnic
If you have a significant run, nothing wrong with a 6-50 outlet. Wire is cheaper, easier to stuff in a box, and quality extention cords (UL listed, 50A continious) cords, should you need them, are avail for < 100.00. total DIY cost for this is maybe 600, including a gen 2 MC, 6/2 Romex, 50a GFCI outlet, old work box, Hubble outlet.

Leave the Gen 2 plugged in, the other MC stays with the car as a spare and for RT.

Also worth considering the NEMA 6-20 socket if you don't need to charge the full capacity every night. If you have a NEMA 5-20 socket on a dedicated circuit you can convert it by just replacing the breaker and the socket at minimal cost.

• Informative
I got 4.7 Mi/Hr using NEMA 5-20 on an existing run/breaker/outlet. Only cost 38 for the adapter.

I would check to see if there is room in the box for a 240 V DP breaker.

6-20 should also have greater efficiency, as well as ~ double the charge rate.

Think you will need to modify the wire or at the very least, tape the white (Formally neutral) wire to red on both ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Not sure why your image only shows 5 mi/hr.
Probably because as the software used to be, the "miles per hour" charge speed display was an average over the whole charging session, not an instantaneous reading like the kilowatts power level was. So as the current ramped up over the first minute or so, that "miles per hour" number would be lagging and look unusually low, as it was an average that included the first 20-30 seconds where the current was near 0 amps.

Also worth considering the NEMA 6-20 socket if you don't need to charge the full capacity every night. If you have a NEMA 5-20 socket on a dedicated circuit you can convert it by just replacing the breaker and the socket at minimal cost.

Interesting! That's really good to know that's an option but there's currently no socket there so I have to have something brand new installed anyway.

If u r lucky the CB panel is near your car?
Watch all the YouTube videos on this subject.
Determine your main breaker 100 , 200, 300,
Do u have an empty double in box.
The double u install will be less than ur main. I had 200, my electrician said put in 50.
Buy 14.50 box with receptacle, 50 at HD. 00 gauge wire, 4 strand, black, red, white, green.
Have fun, took me about and hour. I only had a few feet to run wire.

• Disagree
Reactions: tga
Buy 14.50 box with receptacle, 50 at HD. 00 gauge wire, 4 strand, black, red, white, green.
Have fun, took me about and hour. I only had a few feet to run wire.
Can you please stop giving this wrong recommendation? 00 gauge wire generally won't fit in a 50A circuit breaker and most definitely won't fit in any brand of 14-50 outlet. 6 gauge is more appropriate for a 50A circuit.

00 gauge wire, 4 strand, black, red, white, green.
You get a thumbs down...

Can you please stop giving this wrong recommendation? 00 gauge wire generally won't fit in a 50A circuit breaker and most definitely won't fit in any brand of 14-50 outlet. 6 gauge is more appropriate for a 50A circuit.
And you get a thumbs up.

Reactions: P85_DA