Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being forced to sell our two Teslas- Moving from Michigan to Ontario- PLEA FOR HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...snip...
Did they make them crush all pre-canada regulation cars??

I'd talk with Canada officials and ask for it in writing, get a letter.

They let tourists drive US cars in Canada ALL THE TIME. Come on, this is absurd.

The OP is correct. The cars do not meet the electronic immobilizer system specification so they cannot be imported registered in Canada without modification.

As to what number of modules need swapped to make it the Canadian version, only Tesla knows.

Reactions: Jaff
Take it to the service center in Canada.

Per document "Vehicle Import Compatibility (Admissibility) list for vehicles purchased in the United States" July 28 2017.

Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

Problem the OP would face if setting up an address in MI and just keeping his vehicles and license registered there, so he's trying to get by posing as an extra long term tourist as opposed to a resident, will be when it comes time to sell the S and X in the future....since they're still US and not compliant here he'd have to return to the US to sell them. Or if they have busybody nosy neighbours that gripe about the folks that moved here and still have US plates and most likely better auto insurance rates, that complain to someone that would look into it. Happened to an American friend of mine a few years ago.
OP I see you mention that you are coming as an immigrant. As an actual immigrant (Permanent Resident) or on a long term work visa? As an immigrant yes you'd need to do something about the vehicles, sell them or have a scheme to keep them registered in MI. On a work visa, IMHO you should be able to legitimately maintain an address in the US and enjoy your vehicles here, you'd still need to sell them in the US in the future if rules don't change though. Perhaps talk to a Canadian Immigration consultant if you're not already. Maybe, just maybe, depending on the type of status you'll have in Canada for you and your family you wouldn't need to worry about the vehicles afterall(?).

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
The "substantial modification" is wholly BS. I have been given to understand (from two different techs speaking confidentially) the changes are quite minor. Tesla just refuses to allow imports from the U.S. to Canada. They maintained early on that the pricing would be compatible between the two markets, but that is not quite true. Canadian prices are higher than the currency adjustment would justify.

Interestingly, Tesla opened up the importation window for Model S for about a month a couple of year ago. During that time they refused to give me a recall clearance letter and then closed the window. I'm convinced that some well connected person wanted to import, and Tesla's management changed the rules for that car while blocking imports for the peons.

We were in the same position as the OP, immigrating after receiving our Signature. We explored selling, but obviously couldn't buy a new Signature at that point. We finally found a used one in Montreal, but paid more than we could get for our U.S. car, and had to accept a somewhat lesser car.
This is exactly right, it's just a method of selling to two different markets with a porous border.

An owner can't bring his used car into Canada???
Are you sure??

My understanding from many, many years ago is that there is a difference between "importing" a car and moving with your own car for personal use. When I was a kid, my parents moved from Florida to Ontario and brought a Mercury Monterrey that was never even sold in Canada. What I recall from the process was that Dad was told he could move to Canada with the car, but as someone living here, he wouldn't have been able to buy it and import it. That was a long time ago, but it may be worth checking into this subtle distinction.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
I will be moving from Ottawa to Washington.

Hopefully I will not have the same challenges, given the following provision.

"The following vehicles need not conform to emission or safety requirements but may NOT be sold in the U.S. and may require EPA and DOT declarations:
  • Those belonging to members of foreign armed forces, foreign diplomatic personnel, or other individuals who come within the class of persons for whom free entry has been authorized by the Department of State in accordance with international law."
Importing a Motor Vehicle | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Last edited:
After many failed attempts of getting through to someone at Tesla, we're taking to the "interweb". This is our, now somewhat desperate, plea for help. After YEARS of standing by and supporting Tesla in Michigan...through thick and thin (relatively early supporters), we're being left out in the cold, and forced to sell our two cars (Model S 2014, and Model X 2016) and take a huge financial hit. So much so, that we may not be able to drive completely electric after this happens. Below is a letter that has gone to many people within Tesla, including Elon Musk himself. No one can do anything for us. We find that hard to believe. If anyone has any suggestions, advice, experience or thoughts, we welcome them all. It's a long read, but...here's our story.

"In 2014 I happened across a Model S driving in front of me on the road. It piqued my interest. As soon as I arrived home I scoured the internet trying to figure out what vehicle I had seen and why the license plate had read, “oil free.” I would spend the next month learning everything that I could about Tesla Motors and Elon Musk. I read every article and saw every interview that I came across. Needless to say, I fell in love. Although a thing of beauty, it was not the design of the Model S that I became enamored with. It was the company; the mission statement, the goals and the integrity with which this company was being run. It appeared to me to be a complete shift from the status quo that we have come to loathe. It was the promise of a future for our planet; a future for my four-year old daughter.

It didn’t take long for my wife and me to place our order. We were not in the market for a car, and we couldn’t really afford it. In fact, we essentially emptied our savings account in order to buy a Model S. Mind you, this was a very difficult decision on our part, but we knew that the power of the mighty dollar had a far reach. We have known for some time that a break from fossil fuels has to be the direction transportation takes in order for humankind to survive on this planet, and we knew almost instantly that Tesla Motors was the company that would light that flame forward. Although it made no financial sense for us to do so, we couldn’t withhold our support from the company that would give hope to humanity. So, without even test driving the car, we took a leap of faith. We had to put our money where are mouths were, and we were giddy with excitement to do so. In fact, the day we placed our order, I vowed on social media to never again purchase a car that runs on gasoline. You inspired a change in our lives that will reap benefits for generations to come.

One and a half years later, when the lease on our gasoline-powered car was about to expire, the only question in our minds was; do we get another Model S or do we venture further out of our comfort zone and try the Model X? The latter won the debate. We decided that we would put vacations and other luxuries on hold, and we again emptied our bank accounts.

Needless to say, we have been happy and loyal customers. My wife and I decided that we would always avail ourselves for “Tesla Time,” answering other people’s questions about Tesla to the best of our ability. It didn’t matter if we were at the grocery store, the playground or the doctor’s office. Many times, we were late for appointments because people would stop and ask questions about our vehicles. My wife and I have been some of your biggest and most outspoken advocates in Michigan, and we have gotten to know the Midwest regional managers and sales teams on a personal level. Many of our friends have ordered a Model 3 or are considering other Tesla vehicles because of our enthusiasm for this wonderful company and mission. Being a part of the “Telsa family” has been a privilege.

For better or for worse, life is never static for more than brief moments, and I soon found myself looking for employment in Canada. Fortunately for me and my family, I was able to secure a good job in Ontario. We are currently in the throes of coordinating our relocation, a daunting task in and of itself. So, imagine my shock and dismay at discovering that both the Model S and Model X are on Canada’s list of “inadmissible” vehicles. The website for the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles states,

“Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.”

I was shocked when I read this. So I am writing to you now to plead my case. I completely understand why you would not want Canadians crossing the border to purchase your vehicles and import them back into Canada. However, there must be a provision for people, like myself, who purchased their vehicles while living in America and then move to Canada at a later time. When we purchased both of our cars, I did not expect to become an immigrant in a foreign land, but it happened. To lose both of our cars in one fell swoop would be devastating to us, not just on a financial level but on an emotional level as well. Our faith in Tesla allowed us to take financial risks that we have never been prepared to do with any other company. To lose the only cars we own would represent a financial setback which will even effect our ability to buy a home. The resale value wouldn’t come close to what we have put into our vehicles, and certainly would not allow us to replace both cars in Canada.

So I implore you to reconsider your stance on this issue. Please allow us to make the necessary modifications on our vehicles, and please give the Canadian government permission to allow us to import our vehicles. It is reasonable to allow U.S. Tesla owners to keep their vehicles as they relocate to Canada. We clearly have no intention of trying to sell our cars in Canada or hurt the Tesla brand in any way. Myself, my wife and my daughter constitute a Tesla family, we were always in it for the long haul. Since we first learned about your company we decided to make sacrifices in order to support your mission statement. We have never abandoned you, so please do not abandon us in our time of need."

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
I'm pretty sure no-one at Tesla got that far.

If you want busy people to help you with a problem, you don't send them a novel-length missive; their eyes probably just glazed over. You need to state your case in 4 short sentences. Sign up for Twitter and tweet to Elon in 140 characters, or whatever the limit is.

What'd he do when it came time to sell the Monterey?

Paul, he just sold it as a Canadian registered car... which it was at that time. Now having said that, I suspect things were a LOT different back in the 1960's. The "you can bring it if you move" rule probably had a lot more to do with economics (taxes, duty etc.) than for things like safety. I can't even remember if that car had seatbelts!

OK folks, I have imported quite a few cars into Canada and learned the ropes.
There are two categories - cars 15 years old or older and those younger than 15 years.

15 Years and older
Can be imported without a problem. Just pay the 5% GST and duties, if any, at the border. In Ontario then get the car certified and and then pay 8% Provincial tax + licensing fee at the licensing office.

Less than 15 years old
The car must be listed on the RIV ( Registrar of Imported Vehicles ) web site as admissible to Canada. If not listed, there is no way you can get it into the country.
If admissible, then you will pay the 5% GST and duties, if any, at the border and get Form 1 and pay the RIV fee. The RIV will then mail you Form 2 which will spell out what exact modifications must be made in order to comply. Once that is satisfied you take the car to the authorized RIV inspection station ( Canadian Tire ) and they will then stamp your Form 1 and fax it to the RIV. No cost, because your RIV fee paid for that. The RIV will then send you a compliance sticker for your car and you are good to go to the license office and pay 8% Provincial tax + licensing fee.

What makes a car inadmissible?
The RIV or the Government knows nothing about cars. They rely on data supplied by the manufacturer. Now some manufacturers do not want cars for the US market to come to Canada. So they put roadblocks in the way. Either outright non admissibility or artificial things like:
- refusing or charging a large sum for a letter to state that all recalls are serviced.
- letter that scares you about service and warranty. Any charges to transfer warranty are legitimate because each country has a money pot for warranty.
Sadly, Tesla took the non admissibility route. In my estimation, bilingual stickers and a switch to Canadian software would all be needed.
And maybe key fobs. Bumper laws have been harmonized recently.

Great Synopsis. I brought a car up last year. It was 4 months under 15 years (allowing me to pay thousands of dollars more , cause that makes sense). The ONLY mod I had to make was add daytime running lights. cost 100 bucks for the module...and my seller did it for me.

The only place for inspection now is Canadian Tire. Cannot do 'ma and pa'.

Getting back to topic. It's completely absurd. It is 100 per cent Tesla's decision. If they want their car admissible it would be. Major changes..HA! Pure $$$. The crazy X pricing reflects this.

Try to find a used similar x or S in Canada for the same as the States...impossible.

As a major supporter, regardless if you drained your bank account or not, Tesla should go above and beyond helping you out. As one suggested, maybe taking your cars in on trade in the states, and then 'reserving' some similar ones in Canada, for a non-profit deal (taxes probably would have to be excluded from that) is a great work around . Even if they took a small financial hit (employee time to deal with situation), it would likely gain them a customer for life.

Upsetting to read stories like this, as from day 1, there has been lack of communication towards customers, and over the years it has been a major complaint that rears its head on this board. It was fine...for a few years, but now we are down the road, and it is the same old story.

By wanting to make $ off potential Canadian customers, Tesla is essentially screwing you, an existing customer. Sorry man.

Yes, with a few of your comments...

It is not absurd that Tesla charge a different price in a different country with different currency, thus protecting their business model while the company is in its nascent stage imo.

Tesla needs to concentrate on the bigger picture, which is delivering the Model 3 as a more affordable, well built, on time, serviceable EV for all of its marketplaces...I have no issue with them concentrating on this, plus adequately servicing all of the vehicles they have sold in this country.
Most of us have all read about, and experienced service delays when having our vehicles looked after...to spend time and effort servicing the miniscule numbers of U.S. owners wanting to bring their vehicles to Canada would be absurd imo.

The OP is not a major supporter of Tesla, but merely an early adopter like the rest of us.

A Tesla owner moving from the U.S. to Canada is an extremely rare event, not a frequent occurrence as you portray.

I do not agree that there has been a lack of communication over this issue...why should a Tesla store in Alpharetta, Georgia have to inquire if their prospect intends to move to Canada, and if so, they should refrain from buying the product?

They are not screwing anyone, just protecting their sales model which they are entitled to do.

I have no doubt that Tesla vehicles will be able to freely move across the border in a few years, when Tesla's service center infrastructure in Canada can support it.

As someone who (a long time ago) moved from Canada to the US in a Canada-spec car, I can tell you that the two countries have different vehicle codes and standards. I couldn't get my Canada-legal Acura to pass inspection in California. You're not the first to have this issue and it's not Tesla specific. I never for a minute considered writing the CEO of Acura to plead my case, maybe my sense of specialness is not as fully developed as yours.

Last edited:
I find this totally Teslas fault. They could do all the software fixes at the Canadian SC. Even if you had to pay.
I would chase Elon to the end of the earth to him fix this.
I cant believe they are two separate platforms? Thats to expensive.
I think Elon is the cure.

Some of the suggestions were to just drive it across the border and keep it registered in the US. I tried to bring two cars across when my wife and I moved to CAN and when I came up with the second they kept the car and I walked across the border. Ihad to import the first one, finish the paperwork and then do the second. I hope this works out/worked out well for the OP.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm