Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my lowly 70+ years of experience, I have noticed that those who are in a hurry need only do one thing to take all the emergency out of the trip: Start ten minutes earlier. But I might be wrong.
Sorry for the quick diversion, but this reminds of something. I used to cycle with friends. I was a soaking wet 140 pounds at the time, and they were 180+. I rode a steel framed bike, and they rode carbon fiber. They'd get on me all the time about upgrading my bike to a lighter frame. I'd always gently point out that they could lose a few pounds, tow an extra bike, and still be ahead. But anyway.. back to the scheduled program..

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
So I love how Tesla has more or less eliminated range anxiety with their rapid buildout of SCs nationwide in the US. But I've been mapping out some long trips on evtripplanner.com. Because SCs are currently spaced so that you really can't afford to skip one (even if you have the 90D), it seems like the longest you can drive (on average) in a leg is about 2 or 2.5 hours. Then you have to stop for 30-60 minutes.

For those who've done significant long distance trips, doesn't this get tiring/annoying? Compare it to an ICE car where you could literally go 4-5 hours without stopping (and maybe more) if you wanted to.

Depends on your driving style. If you like to go 6 hours at a time non-stop, then yes. If the person in the passenger seat has to stop every 3 hours to go pee regardless, then no, it actually works out quite well.

Reactions: neroden
Interesting mix of strategies on this thread. I am in the middle - I try to plan to arrive with 10-15%, usually 15% and get miffed if I arrive with under 7%. Of course in the last 30 minutes of driving it becomes evident that I will clearly have a sub 10% arrival, but I do not slow down, I just arrive with what I have when I get there. Then I charge at the next stop to whatever I need plus 15% SOC again. I don't use the miles remaining on the battery display but SOC% (State of Charge percentage). Once you get used to it, it is easier to work with in my experience.

On my car, 10% equates to about 25 miles rated range. Why do I have such a large buffer?

1. It is easier on the battery, promotes longevity of the battery
2. It maintains the performance of the vehicle - highway speeds
3. It covers for elevation changes
4. It covers for weather variability (rain kills range - tires pushing water out of the way uses a lot of energy)
5. It covers for the extra weight in the vehicle (that always happens on long trips)
6. Tow trucks are expensive.
7. My wife freaking out in the right seat is even more expensive ;)

Last edited:
Sorry for the quick diversion, but this reminds of something. I used to cycle with friends. I was a soaking wet 140 pounds at the time, and they were 180+. I rode a steel framed bike, and they rode carbon fiber. They'd get on me all the time about upgrading my bike to a lighter frame. I'd always gently point out that they could lose a few pounds, tow an extra bike, and still be ahead. But anyway.. back to the scheduled program..
Or perhaps they thought if you had a CF bike then you could give them a lift when needed.:D

_MG_7721.jpg

Reactions: javawolfpack
@Drucifer, 8. In case of an unexpected detour that adds miles and climbs.

We had this happen driving through Kentucky this past March. Added about 12 miles and it was all twisty up and down through hills and valley's rather than the fairly even Interstate. At about 20 MPH most of the way we actually used less energy though.

Reactions: neroden
We're planning our first 1000+ mile trip in several weeks to Denver - and my biggest concern isn't the SC on the route - but getting convenient access to the SC at Park Meadows Mall - because there aren't any hotels nearby with EV charging (other than 110V, which is useless).

If a lot of people are using the SC for local charging, coupled with Tesla's use of the SC for their test drive cars, we could end up with some long waits to recharge the car for driving around Denver during our stay.

Longer term, we should be concerned about Tesla's plans for expanding the SC network. There are about 100,000 Model S/X cars on the road today. If Tesla starts selling 100,000 to 500,000 cars each year - that's a huge increase - and would require adding a lot of capacity - and quickly to the SC network and keep increasing capacity to support the growing number of Tesla cars on the road.

It would also help considerably if Tesla could provide real-time status of all of the SC stations on a route. They should be able to provide information on current usage and even predict likely usage when you arrive for a charge (based on the cars currently at the SC, their current and needed charging levels & projected charging times, and the movement of cars towards the SC needing charges).

Even though I haven't had to wait much at SC's on our shorter trips, I'll admit there is concern that we'll encounter an unexpected delay during the long trip - so we'll be looking anxiously at each SC as we approach it to see if our expected 20-30 minute could be much longer.

One other odd thing that I have noted (I've visited 100 superchargers...)

There are simply not very many people walking around anymore, and we are really designing these strip mall configurations and streets for drivers not pedestrians. o_O

At one particular supercharger, you can cross at the signal, but there is not a walking path up to the establishment, or no sidewalk. I sometimes find myself walking along a strip mall entrance with the cars. Sometimes I am scrambling up a bushy "deer path" to get avoid a few cars.

This all in all has really nothing to do with superchargers, but how many urban planners in the newer outlining areas have forgotten that people might actually be walking around. Sometimes I feel I am the only one in the neighborhood doing it, particularly in more rural locations.

My favorite activity when I'm not hungry or thirsty is to just go for a stroll.

I routinely drive a 225 mile stretch. It's a 4,500 foot elevation change on the last 75 miles. I have a 85. There is a SC 80 miles from my house and one 192 miles, both right off I10. Leaving my house with a full charge (about 258 miles of range) and driving my Model S like a normal car I can not make it to the SC that is 192 miles away. So I have to stop twice. Coming back I only have to stop once. Going the trip takes about 45 minutes longer than an ICE and returning about 20 minutes longer. Neither SC (Casa Grand, AZ or Cordes Lakes, AZ) has anything going for it. If I where to drive my MDX I might make a quick stop at a rest area or just drive it non stop. That being said, I do not mind the extra time the Model S takes.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Lex
Besides using restrooms, checking your phone, grabbing a bite to eat, what activities have people done with families? We have an 8 year old and looking for some things to do to stretch the legs and be active.
It depends a lot on the location. As @Owner mentions above, it's often the case that walking is a chore around the Superchargers. There are some locations that are more amenable to it, though. You're on the opposite coast from me, so you'll have to play it by ear and see. We sometimes bring a Nerf football and a baseball with gloves. A catch can be fun.

I don't know about u guys but any time saved (and perceived money made b/c after all "time is money" ) is absolutely obliterated by having to leave your precious Tesla at home and have to take the ICE.

there is a real cost there.

call it a happiness cost if u have to give it a name. but I would spend an extra few hrs charging to be able to take the perfect road trip car on a road trip rather than take a plain old ICE.

I shudder at the thought...

As far the getting crappy performance at a SC b/c the other stall in the pair is already in use.. this happens to me at the time in Syosset, NY. Or it used to.. i have not stopped by since December 2015. it is only a 4-stall config and there are always at least 2 other cars charging there at any given time. the configuration has not changed to my knowledge. so this problem persists. and it is a real problem.

On my car, 10% equates to about 25 miles rated range. Why do I have such a large buffer?

1. It is easier on the battery, promotes longevity of the battery
2. It maintains the performance of the vehicle - highway speeds
3. It covers for elevation changes
4. It covers for weather variability (rain kills range - tires pushing water out of the way uses a lot of energy)
5. It covers for the extra weight in the vehicle (that always happens on long trips)
6. Tow trucks are expensive.
7. My wife freaking out in the right seat is even more expensive ;)

I always shoot for 10% as an arrival goal, aiming for less seems too risky given the variables

I completely agree with your list except for #3, the Tesla navigation range estimates do take into account elevation changes.

I really with Tesla would add options to the in car range estimate to take into account at least driving speed (above the posted limit), but preferably also weight, weather and wind. www.evtripplanner.com does all that and it's written by a college student in his spare time...

Reactions: AMPd
I completely agree with your list except for #3, the Tesla navigation range estimates do take into account elevation changes.

I really with Tesla would add options to the in car range estimate to take into account at least driving speed (above the posted limit), but preferably also weight, weather and wind. www.evtripplanner.com does all that and it's written by a college student in his spare time...

I should have thought that through. I left Snowshoe Mountain with 92% SOC and 10 miles later had 94% SOC and the trip graph clearly showed where it was expected that I have negative energy consumption (net generation) on parts of the segment back to the Wytheville, VA SuC.

We're planning our first 1000+ mile trip in several weeks to Denver - and my biggest concern isn't the SC on the route - but getting convenient access to the SC at Park Meadows Mall - because there aren't any hotels nearby with EV charging (other than 110V, which is useless).

If a lot of people are using the SC for local charging, coupled with Tesla's use of the SC for their test drive cars, we could end up with some long waits to recharge the car for driving around Denver during our stay.
I believe it's primarily the Tesla store keeping their test drive vehicles charged, rather than local charging. If the chargers are full, they will move one of their cars for you to charge. Everybody I've spoken with in the store is very pleasant.

1. SC Nap Mode. A 53 minute or less nap or simple meditation, on vacation that is, or....
1b. Car Office Mode. No Hotspot from the car, but Car Office mode provides laptop space etc.

2. Walkabout. Great small towns, I love the SC team ! Great locations IMHO.

3.Meal / drink. Try something new ? I even tried something non-beef in an Arby's #WTF

4. Post-meal / drink or just a wash up #thanks

Ok now I have to admit, I am really confused by this thread and similar "should I" "will I miss" "range anxiety" and "be honest" ... this is an electric car people. Yes, it is different ! You are also not leaving the same footprint, and thanks to Elon and JB and the team you can run.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler