Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery seems to going fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My range suffers when I consistently charge to 70 or 80 percent, and don't ever get it below 40% in local driving. The Battery Management System probably just needs a bigger range to recalibrate. Get down to below 15% and charge to 90%, if it matters, and range will likely recover (maybe twice). Personally, I don't worry about it. When I charge to 100% and go on a trip immediately, the range is restored to a good level. It is just the BMS being conservative. Generally no worries.

Upvote 0
My range suffers when I consistently charge to 70 or 80 percent, and don't ever get it below 40% in local driving. The Battery Management System probably just needs a bigger range to recalibrate. Get down to below 15% and charge to 90%, if it matters, and range will likely recover (maybe twice). Personally, I don't worry about it. When I charge to 100% and go on a trip immediately, the range is restored to a good level. It is just the BMS being conservative. Generally no worries.
Yes I charge to 80% all the time and only drive 40-50 miles. I read yesterday that charging to only 50% is better on the battery so I’m going to try that for a month.

Upvote 0
Do u leave it plugged in every night?

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
Really? I read the fast chargers shorten battery life.
With Tesla's? Not really. Impact is basically negligible. The heat build up is the problem, and Tesla's Thermal management is very good. Compare to the original Nissan Leaf (I say original, as I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the new generation Leaf, but very familiar with the original).
The original Leaf did NOT have active cooling. This resulted in premature degradation of the battery, especially in warmer climates, like Arizona, weather they fast charged or not. Fast charging could bring the temp of the battery up so high in warmer climates, it couldn't cool enough to fast charge more than once/day. The result was extremely degraded batteries after just a year or so, and lots of lawsuits.
Now compare, after 7 years, 150,000 miles, and 98% of my charging done at a supercharger, my 90d Model S battery is holding at about 245 rated miles. Just for comparison sake. I knew someone with a older Model S, that drove Door Dash, until he got T-Boned. His car had around 280,000 miles, original 85kWh battery, and it still had about 200 rated miles per charge. He basically lived at the supercharger. Perfect location, as it was surrounded by about 12 restaurants that did door dash and grub hub. Quite literally surrounded, so he'd leave the car plugged in, walk and grab the food and come back to the car.

Now, my objective opinion based on 10 years of Tesla Ownership, and meeting so many owners, discussing so much, all the insiders in the company I know, and even Tesla Engineers spending vacation at my family's motel and sitting around the campfire chatting, it seems the batteries that are run harder, are holding up better. Take it with a grain of salt, but thats my observation.

Reactions: John Archuleta
Upvote 0
Really? I read the fast chargers shorten battery life.
One other thing I will note, Tesla has changed the supercharging profile a number of times in the last 11 years.
Originally, when supercharging, when the battery reached 113*F, the car would go Ape Chit and thermal management would go full blast to cool the battery, and a soft throttling down of charge rate would start. Generally, 113*F is the soft threshold for charging Lithium Ion cells, to prevent degradation.

Fast forward to 2022/2023. Tesla is now letting battery temps get up in the 120*F range, and during the summer, I'm even seeing 130*F+ (This isn't jut from a single vehicle, this is across multiple Model S's and X's that I watch CAN BUS data from). It seems the highest charging rates will only be seen in the 120*F+ temp range, at least on older Model S and X. I do not have M3 or MY vehicles to play with. My sister will not let me screw around with her MY..... I havent broken anything yet.... I don't know why.....

Reactions: John Archuleta
Upvote 0