Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery impact for extended road closure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard of several instances of extended road closures due to the recent cold weather throughout many parts of the U.S.

I wonder what would be the impact of becoming stranded in such a situation?
Take a notional remaining trip of 80 miles to the nearest recharge (say a SC) with a current indication of 120 miles on the center panel range - with Range Mode enabled in my 2016 MS - 75.

Roughly, how long can you wait running just the environmental system (% drop in SoC per hour) in say a 15 degree ambient weather?

Thanks.

Some people on YouTube have done "extreme Tesla camping" where they sleep in the car in temperatures in the single and negative digits (Fahrenheit), and lose roughly 12% for the entire night. A random per-hour guess based on this would be somewhere around 1% per hour, but this also has a lot to do with whether your battery and cabin were already heated, what temp you have it set to, fan speed, etc.

Thanks DukeofURL. Presumably the cabin and battery would already be heated (at least initially) since you wouldn't likely start out on a trip with a road closure. With the rough estimate of 1% drop per hour, say a 4 hour closure, would result in only a 3-4 mile loss? So, with an arrival buffer of at least 30 miles, you should be fine under most instances of unexpected winter driving problems?

I was stuck at end of last year in a winter storm. Took 7 hours to drive about 4 miles. I was using about 10 miles of range per hour with heater on (nice and warm and no range mode). So all in all I have used 170 miles of range for a typical 100 miles trip. I drive by a supercharger station but was completly covered by snow and was not reachable.

(BTW: few gas car run out of gas during that event)