Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Charge Level Will Be Restricted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got a first generation A battery. Wonder what the range is on a full charge... Your supercharging will be limited to 90kw due to the early battery. Maybe you have a classic S?
To add to @apacheguy's post, an A pack isn't always the dreaded A pack - the version letters only apply for the same base part number (for @SPXMike's pack, 1107172-00). My 2014 pack is 1014114-00-E.

When Tesla issues a new part number, they reset the version letter to A, so the whole "A pack" thing fell apart when they issued new part numbers for packs. The first 90 and 100 kWh packs would have A version letters as well, since they get a new part number. Think of it as <major version>-<minor version>-<revision>. This is pretty standard for automotive part numbering.

I don't know what they did for the software limited 60's and 70's - if they used a 75kWh sticker and part number or a new one to hide the bigger internal capacity - I've never seen one of those packs in person. I should check a friend's 60D the next time I see it.

From what I can see of the part numbers, the original pack part numbers all started 10 and this is 11. You can still get parts for legacy cars that aren't made anymore. Body shops get them all the time. They probably make a small number of packs for the classic cars too.

@apacheguy - I stopped at the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger on my way to Big Bear Lake Thurs evening. This charge schedule is after I switched to an unpaired charger. I did see a peak of 110 kW when I first plugged in. After leaving the SC @90% SOC, I made it to Big Bear Lake with 52%, then yesterday I left with 50% and drove 90 miles to my house arriving with 30% (downhill all the way). Hope this is useful.

upload_2017-7-17_8-20-22.png

Reactions: apacheguy
I recently got the OP's same error message. Local SC (2+hours away - Atlanta) called a local flatbed to transport the car to the SC friday afternoon. Got a text from the SC Monday mid-day advising that the battery was bad and had to be sent to CA and that it would take 2 TO 3 MONTHS to get a new battery. They are out of loaners for now, but are promising one soon'ish'. I guess there is nothing i can do, but 3 months seems a bit ridiculous for what i would think is an expected failure - certainly they knew batteries would fail??!! Anyone else having the same error? If so, what is your SC telling you?

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
@SPXMike, you got a rare new 2017 85kWh battery that shipped with some 75D cars and was initially sighted in Europe. Check this post for an example: 75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements? The entire thread has related posts on what might be going on behind the scenes.

Is your car a 75D?

EDIT: I see you have a P85+. This battery/car combination is unique then as far as what I've seen. Those packs have only been reported in new 75D cars so far.

Last edited:
Yeah, there aren't many of us Sigs with new batteries, but yes I was in a similar situation where my original pack could not be repaired. Can't say I miss it :)

That's awesome. I am keeping my distinction as "last recorded classic-A battery delivered" per the battery/VIN table we kept back in the day. Battery still going strong with ~1% degradation/yr. And supercharging does not exhibit throttling seen on the new chemistry batteries, so in some scenarios it may even now be faster to charge than the throttled new packs capable of higher peak charging rates...I'm working on some plots.

I'm in the same situation. December 2014 "E" pack died in June. They had no loaner packs so they lent me a 100D. Now they are telling me they are 95% sure I will get a new pack so possibly the same version you've been loaned? Did you notice how many miles a full charge gets you?