Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery failure at 32000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model S that I purchased 5/2023 with 19,500 miles. I now have about 32,000 miles on it and recently took it to a service center where they told me my battery is in poor health. I have no issues charging and have had no issues maintaining a charge and no significant battery degradation since purchasing the car. I made the appointment because my folding mirrors would not unfold and the left side/driver handles will not present. The rep at the service center told me to sell it as soon as possible. I would obviously take a loss at this point, any recommendations? Would I not have received error codes or warnings about the battery? What should I do?

I have a 2014 model S that I purchased 5/2023 with 19,500 miles. I now have about 32,000 miles on it and recently took it to a service center where they told me my battery is in poor health. I have no issues charging and have had no issues maintaining a charge and no significant battery degradation since purchasing the car. I made the appointment because my folding mirrors would not unfold and the left side/driver handles will not present. The rep at the service center told me to sell it as soon as possible. I would obviously take a loss at this point, any recommendations? Would I not have received error codes or warnings about the battery? What should I do?
Battery doesn't last forever. It will die at some point. It's been enjoying its life for the last 10 years so it's not a surprise that it is at the end of its life.

You can continue to drive it until it gives you an error message, but that will be too late to hide that fact from your next buyer.

When buying a used EV, it's a good practice to have a budget for battery replacement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can sell it now at a fair price, wait until the battery goes (replace it and sell the car with the new battery sell it with a dead battery (value minus the cost of a battery), or be prepared for dead battery, replace when necessary, and keep it. The replacement battery will have a 4 yr, 50k warranty if you get it.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
@clemsonnurse02 The 32,000 miles sounds bad, but it's the 10 years. I also have a 2014 S85, and it's been found that the first few years of these cars had some bad design choices that made them susceptible to moisture intrusion and therefore corrosion, which can cause them to fail. I'm expecting that mine may go out that way in the next few years, so I'm planning for a battery replacement.

So far, the best source I've seen outside of Tesla (and much cheaper) is Recell.

• Informative
Reactions: fholbert and ucmndd
Upvote 0
I do. Yes.
Mainly curious - you have no alerts, yet the Tesla Service Center said your High Voltage (not 12v) battery was in poor health? There is some anecdotal feedback that Tesla would like to get Full Unlimited Lifetime Supercharging cars off the road. Not saying this is the case here.

I have no other options than feedback others have given you upthread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There might be errors in service mode only like weak short that precedes u029...
Or maybe Tesla saw large imbalance, voltage or CAC...
Possibly, but that would be the first I've heard Tesla mentioning this info to owner without any onboard alerts. Maybe sympathetic Tesla employee....

Also, odd that advice was to sell car. Then, known issue identified by Tesla employee passed on unbeknownst to new owner.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
How/why is 90% detrimental? Can you elaborate on your conjecture? What is your recommended battery charging regimen? Thx.
Plenty of posts here about battery degradation and optimal charging if you search, especially posts by user @AAKEE

In short, keeping average charge level below ~55% is best to minimize calendar aging for the type of battery used in the Model S/X.

Personally I only use 10-15% in a day so I charge to 50% daily on my Model 3 LR for normal use and that’s more than enough. Will increase as needed for longer trips.

But the first few years of Model S batteries seem to be more prone to failure around 10 years. We’ll have to wait and see how the later batteries fare in the long term.

• Informative
Reactions: AAKEE and NV Ray
Upvote 0
It's a 10 year old 2014 model. They all had the bad designs that are making them fail at very high statistical rates because of the corrosion problems, regardless of mileage or use.
I've been keeping track on all years, and mileages. I'm seeing, even the older ones, 2012 & 13, with high mileage, 150,000+, holding up significantly better than sub-100,000 mile ones.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0