Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awww crap, I painted my Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re just missing the YouTube video now :p. I may try this once the weather gets above freezing again. I’ll certainly post my results, good or.. not good.
lol, there are plenty of Youtube videos on painting calipers, also get some tubing to place over the bleeder screw when you bleed the brakes, run the tube down to a ceramic cup or glass. As you bleed the brake you can reuse the fluid if it is clean.

Very nice job! I just purchased a full set off ebay and sent them to the powder coater yesterday. Do you happen to know if the brakes take a standard brembo rebuild kit for when I get them back, the way I understand powder coating they break the calipers down removing all the seals and pistons thus requiring new seals. Probably will find a shop locally to install rebuild and install them, brakes are one thing I've never attempted myself even though it appears to be a simple process (though serious consequences if you screw up).

• Informative
Reactions: Alset4S
Dang and I paid $300 for someone to do it!! Great Job!!
Very nice job! I just purchased a full set off ebay and sent them to the powder coater yesterday. Do you happen to know if the brakes take a standard brembo rebuild kit for when I get them back, the way I understand powder coating they break the calipers down removing all the seals and pistons thus requiring new seals. Probably will find a shop locally to install rebuild and install them, brakes are one thing I've never attempted myself even though it appears to be a simple process (though serious consequences if you screw up).

I have disassembled many brake calipers, if they carefully remove the o ring seals they can be re installed if they are in good condition( no knicks, cuts or they are not stretched) The brake calipers should be pressure tested before they are installed to make sure they do not leak, but it is best to get new o rings when calipers are disassembled.

Last edited:
post a picture of your whole car with the calipers in view, to get the full view

20180227_100127[1].jpg
20180227_100121[1].jpg
20180227_100112[1].jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Looks good! Amateur question: when removing the caliper to do this how do you contain the brake fluid? Does it require a drain/refill of the system?

Whilst you can get plastic brake hose clamps very cheap at most parts stores, one good trick is to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor with a 2x4 between the pedal and seat.
Fluid will come out until the pedal reaches the floor. At that point the outlet holes in the master cylinder will be restricted enough to stop dripping.

Always bleed the brake system after removing any component.

• Helpful
Reactions: JPUConn
I had mine painted by someone who does them regularly and used some type of special paint a year and half ago and they look same as when he did them. If you powder coat it's a bigger hassle taking them off and reinstalling obviously.

I did the same but didn't remove the calipers. Just mask well. Use the spray paint not the brush kit. I cleaned with brake cleaner and a small wire brush. When painting, use very little paint on the first, second, and third coat, , so little that you can barely see it, then keep adding, the 1st coats want to run, brush them out if you get a run. I did 6 or 7 coats, the last one being the heaviest. 3 coats of clear over everything after putting the letters on. Bought the decals on Ebay.