Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autowipers are actually dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with that. It's entirely useless in the middle. It might as well not be there rather then advertise as having it. A rear wiper would be good and brighter reverse lights while I think about it 😀
You are free to disagree, but that doesn't mean other people don't find it useful. The nearside camera is especially useful and your gaze has got to pass the screen on the way to the mirror. ;) You can also switch it off if you don't like it.
I find the reversing light perfectly useful and in conjunction with the camera, much better than the rear mirrors.

You are free to disagree, but that doesn't mean other people don't find it useful. The nearside camera is especially useful and your gaze has got to pass the screen on the way to the mirror. ;) You can also switch it off if you don't like it.
I find the reversing light perfectly useful and in conjunction with the camera, much better than the rear mirrors.
I wish they'd add a red glow or something to the video so you can see in your peripheral if there's something coming or not

I actually find it difficult to judge other vehicles from the blind spot video because it lacks depth that you get with an actual mirror but I think that's more an issue with my eyes rather than anything else

I wish they'd add a red glow or something to the video so you can see in your peripheral if there's something coming or not

I actually find it difficult to judge other vehicles from the blind spot video because it lacks depth that you get with an actual mirror but I think that's more an issue with my eyes rather than anything else
Because of the fish eye lens I find a reasonable rule is that if there’s a recognisable car in the camera frame, it’s probably too close to pull out.

A more obvious indicator would be much better though. The gold standard would be a physical light in the wing mirror like Volvos (for one) have. That’d be more hardware though.

A more obvious indicator would be much better though. The gold standard would be a physical light in the wing mirror like Volvos (for one) have. That’d be more hardware though.
I’m happy to have any extra views or prompts but the gold standard for me is looking over my right shoulder! Despite the B pillar I have no problem seeing whether there’s a vehicle coming up. On a motorbike you would never trust mirrors alone… and you would fail your test if you didn’t turn your head.

I’m happy to have any extra views or prompts but the gold standard for me is looking over my right shoulder! Despite the B pillar I have no problem seeing whether there’s a vehicle coming up. On a motorbike you would never trust mirrors alone… and you would fail your test if you didn’t turn your head.
I look over my shoulder too, but that's not a cost-free activity because in the few seconds it takes to do that you're not looking forwards and a lot can change in that time. It's also possible to miss something or misjudge what you see because you need to do it fast so I think these blind spot monitors are a valuable tool, much more so if they provide feedback without taking your attention away from something more important.

That is why the indicators in the mirrors or a HUD is so good because you can pick that information up in the periphery without taking focus off the task at hand. Given that Tesla aren't going to add hardware for this I think Zilla's suggestion of making a highly visible colour change on the screen is a good one.