Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot two new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would the car know where the curb is? I gotta be honest, with the ease at which the rims can be curb rashed I would be very hesitant to use this feature if I had it which I don't. If it works well though, that would be very nice to avoid NOT getting curb rash

Better ultrasonic sensors than the pre-October 2014 cars and smarter firmware is likely to be capable of detecting curbs.

FWIW, post-October 2014 cars do not detect curbs (front, rear, or side) in the proximity warnings given for manual parking, although cars, trees, and telephone poles are detected (skinny poles, not so much). Could be that the designers did not want to complicate the UI by adding separate indicator for curbs, because the normal proximity warning goes red (stop) at about 12 inches, which is a little too far from a curb. The self park may be able to use the sensors to get closer to the curb. The algorithm should also be able to leverage the rear view camera to get additional information about curb location vs other obstacles.