Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot worth $6k seems to be useless as summon feature is blocked off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you gave EAP, it should be right below the location in your app. If it’s not there, it might be missing:

IMG_7166.jpeg

I recently bought Tesla model Y with enhanced autopilot feature but I believe $6k that I spend was a waste.
My car doesn’t have summon feature. Will Tesla ever add that as my package includes that feature?

I’m planning to purchase Model Y 2024 and was wondering if it’s worth to spend $6k and $12k on Enhanced autopilot and FSD ??
Also it is worth to wait for newer model?

Hello,

You joined TMC today and made two new threads, both on the same general topic. I merged them into one. Did you "recently buy" as your first post said, or are you "planning to buy" as the second thread you created today before I merged it said?

Welcome Kurt. Cross-posting is bad... don't do that... but here's some help and my opinion regardless of whether you spent or are considering spending $6k for Enhanced Autopilot (often referred to as EAP) (BLUF (bottom line up front) - in my opinion (IMO), you wasted your money or are about to waste your money :) )

Enhanced autopilot has:
  • Navigate on Autopilot: Actively guides your vehicle from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit.
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged.
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your vehicle, with a single touch.
  • Summon: Moves your vehicle in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key.
  • Smart Summon: Your vehicle will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
Notice the strikethrough. This is because for Model Y's after May 2023'ish, they don't have Ultra Sonic Sensors (aka 'USS' as a post above referred to them). Tesla has temporarily disabled this functionality for these Model Ys as a result given that we only have cameras on our vehicles (aka Tesla Vision) and the software (hardware?) isn't good enough for this to work. I'll add that even with the latest updates, it's still not good enough for close-quarters parking based on what the updated visualizations show on the main car display. I personally believe it'll only be good enough for close-quarters with a camera in the bumper (oh, wait.. the latest update might be indicating this is coming?)

So, with Enhanced Autopilot, you can navigate and auto-lane change. IMO, auto-lane change is annoying so I often choose the option to minimize these when I'm driving (there's an option)...and while the 'navigate on autopilot' feature is great if you're on unfamiliar highways, especially for interchanges and such, for your regular commute or similar, it's not adding a lot of value. As such, $6k is too much for what it does now, IMO. We're all on the edge of our seats for Autopilot v12 which could come as soon as this month and is trained based on real-world driver experience vs a bunch of lines of code. I believe this will significantly improve things but it'll likely take time.

My 3-month trial (which I received with a referral when I purchased my '23 Model YP 3 months ago) is about to expire. I won't be purchasing 'enhanced' for $6k and certainly not the less-than-full-self driving for another $6k as the first isn't a good deal and the second isn't quite there. Make no mistake, Elon will get FSD all the way there but I believe he'll need not just the v12 software, but hardware, for some situations, and likely a few years.

Hopefully this is helpful. If you already purchased the enhanced autopilot for $6k, and you agree with my opinion, I'd ask for a refund - it'd be the right thing for them to do given the confusion at purchase time regarding autopark, summon and smartsummon.

Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon..... we've been waiting since 2016 for those features to be even moderately usable. They are not, even for USS vehicles (unless you want your vehicle to Kamikaze itself into your garage wall). Why do you think Tesla is now working on Actually Smart Summon (ASS)?

I tried FSD via monthly subscription. It's mostly a fancy toy right now. It works decent in modern roads and well laid out and marked intersections. However, it can't handle anything beyond that especially in older towns. I agree with the recommendation to just do the ~ $200/month option for a month or two and see if you like it or not. The FSD take up rate by customers is pretty dismal now, and most customers find it unimpressive in its current form.

And, the free AutoPilot is great (on the highway)! (as driver assist)

Please don't take the above as Tesla hating. I'm love Tesla and am on my second vehicle. Next vehicle will probably be another Tesla. I'm not a fan of Elon and his constant "lies" about FSD. I think Tesla has years to go (and new hardware) before FSD is truly Full Self Driving, and Tesla knows it otherwise they'd be planning to turn on robotaxi (they are not).

Reactions: primedive
As someone who paid $6,000 for FSD in 2019, I would say save your money. EAP and FSD are not worth it. FSD is a full on sh!t show. I can't engage it with anyone else in the car on city streets cause it will scare them to death. My '19 M3 had USS and I can count on one hand the number of times we used autopark, which to me was the only seemingly worthwhile feature of EAP.

I saw a couple of Yt videos where FSD Beta 12 was being shown, it seemed better? But I don't own a Tesla yet lol...
Anyone have any info on that, or what might be coming "soon" ?
Nothing is coming 'soon'. FSD is a complete waste of money if you try to hold it to its title of 'FULL Self Driving'. They're 5 yrs out from having something that is even close what the name implies.

I added the speed boost and EAP to my 20 MY years ago. I enjoy the EAP, but only use the speed boost on rare occasions (I’m too chill, I guess)… I have to admit I am shocked by how timid, easily confused and halting FSD is. You’d think the engineering team was managed by a leader who believed himself incapable of being incorrect.