Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking.. What if worst case scenario plays out and they're actually not going to release AP for legal reasons.. Totally believable that Tesla overlooked the legal implications of rolling out Level 3 "fully autonomous" feature set. But the fact that it's included in a fresh set of marketing materials for Model X is encouraging. Plus the tweet from Elon saying "almost ready" which was over a month ago. If we're 2 months from that tweet and AP is still not released that's totally ridiculous. Plus the Model X shipments by end of Sept. And the Sept 9 late show appearance. I call end of Sept their drop dead date.. All signs point to a release this month

We're going Level 2.

Level 3 is years away, and needs a lot more hardware and software than what we have now on the Tesla.

I was just thinking.. What if worst case scenario plays out and they're actually not going to release AP for legal reasons.

There is absolutely 0 chance of this; this feature set is already available in production cars in the US and there is no legal issue. (Well, I'm not sure about garage self-parking, but I know the rest is...)

Plus the tweet from Elon saying "almost ready" which was over a month ago. If we're 2 months from that tweet and AP is still not released that's totally ridiculous. Plus the Model X shipments by end of Sept. And the Sept 9 late show appearance. I call end of Sept their drop dead date.. All signs point to a release this month

If you think it ridiculous that 2 months from "almost ready" is still not ready then you haven't worked in software for very long, if at all.

It's entirely possible they hit a use case that they can't ship with and have yet to figure out the solution for. There is no way to determine how long a solution will take with 100% accuracy to a problem for which the solution is not currently known (hell, it's damn hard to do so when the solution is known).

I agree with you that they are likely very close to shipping, but it could easily take 3 or 4 months to iron out a serious edge case (or not); I don't have enough information to have an informed opinion on when they'll ship, but I suspect from where we are forward it's a matter of single-digit months. Beta testers are probably the only people outside of Tesla who might have enough information to have a better opinion.

I'm certain they would like to ship the Model X with it, and are doing all they can to do so, but I am also sure that if it's not already done and they're just polishing minor issues, then it's not a sure thing they'll make it.

Yes, but BMW and MB have more sensors than MS. I noticed that in one of the announcement, EM indicated that auto parallel parking is coming soon with AP, without saying anything about auto stall parking. Tesla is paring down the expectation. :mad:

Soolim, with all due respect, you've been suggesting that the sensor package is insufficient for a while now based only on speculation. In fact, claimed autopilot features seem to be consistent over time on the website and there's no evidence they are walking anything back. "
When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park
itself".

Soolim, with all due respect, you've been suggesting that the sensor package is insufficient for a while now based only on speculation. In fact, claimed autopilot features seem to be consistent over time on the website and there's no evidence they are walking anything back. "
When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park
itself".

With all due respect, we can only speculate, unless anyone has confirmed information from Tesla. My speculation will end when Tesla proves that I am wrong, and I will be happy to be wrong. :wink: Tesla please get me on the EAP so that I don't have to speculate.:smile:

Does the parking spot you quoted include a stall parking spot with no cars around it? How does that work without side view cameras? Can you find anything on Tesla brochure that says stall parking will work? When the official info is lacking in detail, it lends itself to speculation. Is that a fair statement?

Yesterday, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge back and forth en route to Muir Woods. Ended up using the same "left-most" lane that was reversed from the morning to the evening. That lane has these two blue painted lines (not sure what they are for) running the entire length right in the middle of the lane; in addition, there was an almost-complete stretch of pronounced pockmarks close to one side of the lane.

Needless to say, poor Tessie's lane departure warning system went bonkers all along the lane; constantly buzzing as the wheels hit either the blue lines or the pockmarks. My wife was constantly worried that I must have been drifting into the barrier or the next lane when I was really going almost dead straight.

Unless a step change is achieved in lane recognition (vital for auto lane keeping, of course) ahead of v7, "autopilot" would have a long way to go :-|

With all due respect, we can only speculate, unless anyone has confirmed information from Tesla. My speculation will end when Tesla proves that I am wrong, and I will be happy to be wrong. :wink: Tesla please get me on the EAP so that I don't have to speculate.:smile:

Does the parking spot you quoted include a stall parking spot with no cars around it? How does that work without side view cameras? Can you find anything on Tesla brochure that says stall parking will work? When the official info is lacking in detail, it lends itself to speculation. Is that a fair statement?

From the current website: When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home.

Neither of those are parallel spots. Now, could Tesla be setting itself up for another P85D situation? Sure. However, this language has persisted on the site for a very long time now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge back and forth en route to Muir Woods. Ended up using the same "left-most" lane that was reversed from the morning to the evening. That lane has these two blue painted lines (not sure what they are for) running the entire length right in the middle of the lane; in addition, there was an almost-complete stretch of pronounced pockmarks close to one side of the lane.

Needless to say, poor Tessie's lane departure warning system went bonkers all along the lane; constantly buzzing as the wheels hit either the blue lines or the pockmarks. My wife was constantly worried that I must have been drifting into the barrier or the next lane when I was really going almost dead straight.

Unless a step change is achieved in lane recognition (vital for auto lane keeping, of course) ahead of v7, "autopilot" would have a long way to go :-|

From what they've been saying it sounds like lane keeping is a sensor fusion of the camera lane-detect, camera adjacent car detect, ultrasonics and possibly radar. Or it should be... I don't think it will rely on the current lane feature extraction algorithm alone. That may mean it works better when there's some traffic to give it hints, however. We shall see soon... I hope. Remember too, a warning that gives false positives is different than something that feeds into a more long term continuous algorithm for steering.

Hahahaha! I used to have an Infiniti M35 with lane warning, and there were plenty of roads with ...problems... that would set the warning off from the lane's centre (e.g., tarred cracks, in the rain). Even with *physical evidence* that I was in the centre of the lane, my wife was insistent that I was driving all over the road. _sigh_ (the long-suffering husband... of course the long-suffering wife will have a different story to tell...)

It seems many people here have the grievance that they didn't get what they paid for or were tricked into the purchase by false or exaggerated promises from TM. I don't know how these folks gathered the info about the car before placing their orders or what they were told by sales reps. I placed my order for a fully loaded P85D just days after it came out (actually I changed my order from P85+ to P85D), and took delivery a couple of weeks ago (agonizing wait for RHD model). I had always had the clear understanding that AP features would only be implemented over time in stages and initially there would only be basic driving assistant features like TACC and lane departure warning. I was never led to believe that other features would certainly be available at delivery and I appreciate that it's very ingenious that the gradual implementation can be done by over-air software upgrade. Do I want those additional features sooner? Of course I do, especially self parking features (come and challenge yourself with the ridiculously tight parking lots in Hong Kong), but I don't feel TM broke a promise or I was misled or tricked. I simply don't understand where all those charged emotions on this thread came from.

It seems many people here have the grievance that they didn't get what they paid for or were tricked into the purchase by false or exaggerated promises from TM. I don't know how these folks gathered the info about the car before placing their orders or what they were told by sales reps. I placed my order for a fully loaded P85D just days after it came out (actually I changed my order from P85+ to P85D), and took delivery a couple of weeks ago (agonizing wait for RHD model). I had always had the clear understanding that AP features would only be implemented over time in stages and initially there would only be basic driving assistant features like TACC and lane departure warning. I was never led to believe that other features would certainly be available at delivery and I appreciate that it's very ingenious that the gradual implementation can be done by over-air software upgrade. Do I want those additional features sooner? Of course I do, especially self parking features (come and challenge yourself with the ridiculously tight parking lots in Hong Kong), but I don't feel TM broke a promise or I was misled or tricked. I simply don't understand where all those charged emotions on this thread came from.

People's ability to comprehend, extrapolate and reason are far ranging, that's for sure. Hope you're enjoying your car.

Agree with you. I don' think we were misled fully but we are just hitting a point in time where many are getting frustrated. I can seem some individual that bought right after the AP announcements, on a lease loosing time with features they feel they paid for etc. It seems that since we are hitting a year soon since Tesla actually did a demo of autopilot self steering many people feel it 'should' be out here a full year later. That coupled with the history of not delivering just has people worried - Tesla is always late it seems, seems to focus on the wrong priorities often, and never comes back and delivers useful features that appear to be at the top of the list for what most people are wanting (in car, mobile apps, etc.).

None the less, it'll be out when its out...