Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this different than a driver of a "standard" vehicle (with no driver assistance features at all) that gets into an accident because of lack of attention? The insurance company will cover the damages beyond the policy's collision deductible, and of course the driver will be deemed to be at fault so insurance rates will therefore increase. I don't see the difference, personally.

Just because you got in an accident and had "disabled" (which you aren't) the "safety systems" (which they're not; you having your hands on the wheel is, at best, loosely correlated with your attentiveness) doesn't mean that you were at fault in any way.

Let's assume you had done this, and another driver runs a stop sign and plows into you. They're still at fault regardless of your so-called "safety system circumvention."

Really hoping that there is either no nagging or a minimally invasive version of it. Requiring you to keep your hands on the wheel is certainly not what was ever described and not what I paid the extra money for. If I'm going to have to keep my hands on the wheel, I might as well just steer myself! Sounds like it's up to the beta testers to make sure the nagging doesn't make it in the final release!! I've kept quiet so far with my disappointment about lack of promised autopilot features and a continually moving timeline for when they'll finally show up. I love my Tesla and I can wait a little longer for something so important to be done right. However, I'm not going to be so forgiving if the eventual implementation under-delivers and under-performs.

If you watch some of the Mercedes C-class videos, the nag has become pretty minor. It dings every so often, and you have to touch the wheel.

I'd prefer no nag, but it looks nothing like the early S-class systems where it complained every time you took your hands off the wheel.

And, it looks to do a pretty good job of steering, by the way. Once again, Tesla is not breaking any new ground here-- Mercedes has been offering this in their entry level car for almost a year.

Requiring you to keep your hands on the wheel is certainly not what was ever described and not what I paid the extra money for. If I'm going to have to keep my hands on the wheel, I might as well just steer myself!

Hope you don't end up too disappointed but driverless cars were never envisaged at this point:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot
Our goal with the introduction of this new hardware and software is not to enable driverless cars, which are still years away from becoming a reality. Our system is called Autopilot because it’s similar to systems that pilots use to increase comfort and safety when conditions are clear. Tesla’s Autopilot is a way to relieve drivers of the most boring and potentially dangerous aspects of road travel – but the driver is still responsible for, and ultimately in control of, the car.

And you still have to rest your hands somewhere.

+1 -
Really hoping that there is either no nagging or a minimally invasive version of it. Requiring you to keep your hands on the wheel is certainly not what was ever described and not what I paid the extra money for. If I'm going to have to keep my hands on the wheel, I might as well just steer myself! Sounds like it's up to the beta testers to make sure the nagging doesn't make it in the final release!! I've kept quiet so far with my disappointment about lack of promised autopilot features and a continually moving timeline for when they'll finally show up. I love my Tesla and I can wait a little longer for something so important to be done right. However, I'm not going to be so forgiving if the eventual implementation under-delivers and under-performs.

I'm not expecting a driverless car, I'm expecting autopilot on the highway. Pilots do not keep their hands on the control stick when they have autopilot engaged, although they are still aware and able to take control when necessary. That's what I expect from the tesla, on highways, in appropriate conditions.

Just because you got in an accident and had "disabled" (which you aren't) the "safety systems" (which they're not; you having your hands on the wheel is, at best, loosely correlated with your attentiveness) doesn't mean that you were at fault in any way.

Let's assume you had done this, and another driver runs a stop sign and plows into you. They're still at fault regardless of your so-called "safety system circumvention."

You missed my point. I was suggesting that insurance companies would STILL cover damages due to an accident cause by lack of attention, whether it's deemed to be at fault or not, and whether the "self-driving" system was engaged or not.

I'm not expecting a driverless car, I'm expecting autopilot on the highway. Pilots do not keep their hands on the control stick when they have autopilot engaged, although they are still aware and able to take control when necessary. That's what I expect from the tesla, on highways, in appropriate conditions.

We absolutely do keep a hand on the yoke in all but the most straight and level parts of cruise flight.

I don't think there are even sensors on the steering wheel are there?

I'm glad you do. I don't. I keep a hand on the yoke during a coupled ILS or something, but not maneuvering in the terminal area.

It's a matter of degree. Perhaps my 4500 hours hand flying Beech 1900s, frequently down to minimums 6 or more times a day, makes me atypical, but once I graduated to big iron anywhere other than cruise I was always at least following the controls. Most of my crew members always did the same.