Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Particularly troubling coming from a less than month owner. As more "mainstream" buyers vs. early adopters are buying Teslas (and I'm not flagging kutta as either), Tesla satisfaction will go down quickly as such buyers will be disgusted at the misleading impression and wait on the rollout.

You have to consider that in my purchase process, there was a long wait for the car involved.
I did consider that the autopilot is ridiculously delayed already. But given that Elon has now promised a specific timeline, it is worth making the splurge, and I did.
Now I feel like I was cheated out of my money. Like I said, what is going on right now, is utter BS. One man's opinion FWIW.

You have to consider that in my purchase process, there was a long wait for the car involved.
I did consider that the autopilot is ridiculously delayed already. But given that Elon has now promised a specific timeline, it is worth making the splurge, and I did.
Now I feel like I was cheated out of my money. Like I said, what is going on right now, is utter BS. One man's opinion FWIW.

You got your car 3 weeks ago and you're already feeling like you were cheated? You said you knew the software was delated when you finalized your order.

I agree with your other points on how to let Tesla know how you feel but this seems like it would just waste their time. I'm sure this goes to the software team working on the Model S but I'd imagine they already know Autopilot is a big priority and these kinds of messages would just drown out other bug reports people are submitting.

I could not disagree with you more. We need to provide them as much feedback as we can.
Yeah they already know Autopilot is a big priority, but they need to be reminded, every single minute... until they get this right.

I think I am doing the right thing by providing Tesla the feedback. Who else would I provide this feedback?

Hey Tesla, fix this, as a customer, I am pissed!

- - - Updated - - -

You said you knew the software was delated when you finalized your order.

I said I knew the software was deleted? What are you talking about sir/madam? I never said any software was "deleted".

so what you would have us believe is that the only reason that you purchased a Tesla was because of a feature that you heard would be rolled out at some future.? And now you are upset and feel "cheated out of your money" because that feature is not yet available? Was there something written in your contract as a specific date? No in fact what is in your sales contract specifically says that any promises made vocally do not change the contract. All changes need to be done in writing. Do you have something in writing that indicates a specific time period? Here's the bigger problem that I have with what you are complaining about. Each and everyone of us with autopilot are waiting for the functionality and wanted it yesterday. All of us. But when you start making comments like you feel "cheated out of your money" keep in mind you can return your car. If you feel that cheated, it is teslas policy to except your car on a buyback within a few months and a few thousand miles so if you feel so cheated go bring it back. That policy is in writing on teslas website. But in order for you to feel so cheated you have to say that the only reason you purchase this vehicle was for a feature it did not have yet. That is ludicrous position. It is one thing to complain about the timeline and Elon's overenthusiastic expression of when things should be expected, it is entirely another to throw around terms like cheated, fraudulent, and threatening legal action.

That being said, when I would agree with you on is the tessellate should be issuing some kind of update to us as to if there is a delay, and what the reason for that delay may be and what a new timeline expected should be. But that's entirely different from acting as if we've been ripped off in someway because we have not been.

so what you would have us believe is that the only reason that you purchased a Tesla was because of a feature that you heard would be rolled out at some future.? .

I get the feeling that you didn't bother to read what I said .. so here it is again -

"You have to consider that in my purchase process, there was a long wait for the car involved. I did consider that the autopilot is ridiculously delayed already. But given that Elon has now promised a specific timeline, it is worth making the splurge, and I did."

I DID NOT make a purchase based on a blank check/open ended promise.

As a CEO of a public company, when Elon makes a public statement, it's as good as a contract. The SEC says so.

If Elon had said back in Jan/Feb: Wow, we thought we were close but we're running into problems on the tiny details, we are probably several months out from a production release. Yada Yada Yada

I think everyone of us would be upset, but would completely sympathize.

But late March, Elon did say it would be out in about 3 months, that calculates to be about July. That was the first time there was a somewhat specific time frame mentioned. So they are officially about a month late. I don't get the outrage over one month delay esp. when they are already making a good faith effort to get it out ASAP.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8257933/tesla-model-s-autopilot-release-date

The 2016 Volt will save PLENTY of CO2, and it's 1/3rd the price of a Tesla thereby putting it in the reach of more people.

I'm all for GM's Volt and upcoming Bolt but I don't see GM as the answer and telling people to go to GM from Tesla is only going to hurt us all in the long run, in my opinion. Plus, after owning a Tesla I just couldn't do it in good conscience.

But late March, Elon did say it would be out in about 3 months, that calculates to be about July.

I know we are bad at Math in this part of the world, but c'mon now!

March 19th.
April
May
JUNE 19th.
July

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all for GM's Volt and upcoming Bolt but I don't see GM as the answer and telling people to go to GM from Tesla is only going to hurt us all in the long run, in my opinion. Plus, after owning a Tesla I just couldn't do it in good conscience.

Agreed! GM is evil (in my opinion).

To be clear, I want Tesla to fix this fiasco and emerge as winners.
There is a LOT riding on Solar City + SpaceX + Tesla.

I know we are bad at Math in this part of the world, but c'mon now!

March 19th.
April
May
JUNE 19th.
July

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed! GM is evil (in my opinion).

To be clear, I want Tesla to fix this fiasco and emerge as winners.
There is a LOT riding on Solar City + SpaceX + Tesla.
I'm confident that Tesla would love to have Autopilot out to the public as soon as possible - clearly they aren't just holding this back to mess with us!

So the question becomes... what are you actually looking for? A "sorry" from Tesla? Them to push out an incomplete product? Them to reimburse you for time spent without what was "promised"?

This may sound cold (but it's just my opinion) - quit over-thinking this and enjoy what you have (not what you don't have) and move on with your life. You will be much happier once you can do this.

He says "about 3 months" so I rounded up to July. If he said "less than 3 months" then I would say June 19th. I'm not THAT bad at math.

In what dimension of reality and logic does 3 round up to 4.5? Seriously, you tried very hard with your "round up" argument there. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confident that Tesla would love to have Autopilot out to the public as soon as possible - clearly they aren't just holding this back to mess with us!

So the question becomes... what are you actually looking for? A "sorry" from Tesla? Them to push out an incomplete product? Them to reimburse you for time spent without what was "promised"?

This may sound cold (but it's just my opinion) - quit over-thinking this and enjoy what you have (not what you don't have) and move on with your life. You will be much happier once you can do this.

I would like Tesla to roll out a finished and safe Autopilot tonight.
If not tonight, I would like them to promise a reasonable timeline and stick with it.
I would also like them to be a bit more honest in their marketing.
Be clear on their website what is current, what is future, and what future means.
And remove the 'gas savings' calculation in the advertised price (unrelated to Autopilot).

A little honesty goes a very long way!

I'm a pretty happy guy regardless :). I am just enjoying debating Autopilot with smart people on this forum. (Some are really bad at math though!).

Last edited:

Today is July 22.
Jun 19 to July 22 is 33 days.

Your "rounding up" is adding 33%. That's not rounding up, that's called "arguing for the sake of arguing".

- Math'R'Us.

I would like Tesla to roll out Autopilot tonight.

This is an utterly pointless demand. It's the same as the Model X reservation holders (delayed for 2 years remember) saying they want the Model X delivered tonight. It'll be ready when it's ready. This sort of demand would make sense if Tesla was withholding it to spite you, but they're not. They're not delivering it yet because it's not ready yet.

If not tonight, I would like them to promise a reasonable timeline and stick with it.

What so you can be disappointed if things don't work out and they miss the timeline? Because that's probably what is going to happen. People said they'd be happy with an update. We got updates as remarks from Elon at various events. Yet this thread rolls on. Because an update wouldn't really solve anything. It might calm people for a while, but after missing repeatedly people would likely be even more upset.

Despite all the shiny demos and Elon suggesting this is easy, this is not an easy problem to solve. If it was all cars would have this technology. I know someone is going to come along and point to a list of cars that have these features. I'll just point you back at the history in this thread where people have pointed out how poorly a lot of the implementations actually work.

I'd like to draw your attention to this quote from the thread with someone that ran into a Tesla employee at a supercharger.

- There appears to be a bit of 'debate' within Tesla over how much the car should pester the driver to stay focused on driving. A 'new' feature just put into the software recently goes quite far towards pestering. This individual really disliked it, and was trying to get it reverted. It has to do with, and is in stark contrast to some statements Elon made a while back. I joked "the lawyers must be getting involved" and the response I got was a slight chuckle. We all will hope this individual gets this change reverted (but I am not so sure Tesla as a company will revert it)

I have good reason to believe this a significant reason for the delay. Ever noticed that in all the slick demos Tesla really didn't demo the interface? How does the car know you're actually paying attention? The truth is that Google is at least partially right. The better the driver assistance features get the worse drivers will be. See the video below for Google's argument against what Tesla is doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't serious discussions ongoing with regulators about what Tesla had planned. If they can't convince the regulators that what they're giving us is safe then there's a very good chance that they'll put rules in place. Rules that very well might force Tesla to take the feature away or make it not as nice to use. So I'm guessing they're probably taking their time to make sure they don't give and then take it back. I'm sure we all remember how people reacted to the air suspension height being raised. I'm sure the reaction to such a change would be even worse.

Someone will again point out that other cars have these features. I'm just going to point out that Elon has a different philosophy about how this feature works, see his comments about keeping your hand on the steering wheel.

I would also like them to be a bit more honest in their marketing.
Be clear on their website what is current, what is future, and what future means.

I'll admit that reading the website to me seems fairly clear, but I've already got a background on what's available. I've also go a lot of context from just my understanding of software in general. So I think I have overestimated the clarity of what's on the website. I'd guess Tesla has done the same thing. Yes this means I'm somewhat stepping back from things I've said in the past. So absolutely the website should be improved. I'd encourage you to write Ricardo Reyes (I'm sure you can figure out his email) and ask for that. He's in charge of communications he can make that happen.

I've seen Tesla do poor things from the perspective of the customer many times. They are not saints. But I don't think they are trying to deceive anyone. Sometimes I think that a significant amount of the problem is that Elon is a little too honest and open sometimes. He gives his estimate for availability. It turns out to be wrong. He shouldn't have given it and then we don't hear anything from him until he's at some announcement, public appearance or earnings call and then he gives another honest assessment. This is only made worse by the fact that Elon seems to have the personality of a very optimistic person. Tesla probably wouldn't exist as it does today if it wasn't for that. SpaceX certainly wouldn't exist if it wasn't for that.

But none of this is done out of an intent to deceive. That of course doesn't change much from the customer perception. Tesla employees in my experience try to put things right but some things there's not a lot you can do. You can't ship software that isn't ready. You can't give 9 months of production (I'm guessing around 25k cars) a $2500 refund (comes out to $62 million).

So in my view the best anyone can hope for here is that Tesla makes the website clearer and works to be better about communication in the future. That's a realistic goal.

Getting Autopilot tonight, an accurate prediction on the availability, a refund for Autopilot, free ludicrous mode or any other sweeping compensation is simply not likely. You might have an employee give you some merchandise but given the number of impacted people I doubt you'll even get that. If those sorts of things are the only thing that will make you happy then you might as well talk to a lawyer. Yes I'm telling people to sue Tesla, not because I think they should or because I think they'll get anything out of it. But because it really is their only option if these sorts of demands are what they want. Though I'll note that getting specific performance (i.e. forcing Tesla to deliver auto pilot) is almost certainly not going to happen.

Personally, I've learned through the urging of people here after my own frustrations with Tesla earlier to own my own happiness. Tesla doesn't have to make me happy, I do. I'm happy with what I've got now (despite having spent a hunk of money to swap a 2 month old car for Autopilot) and I'll be happy when they finally deliver the auto steering technology. If you can't do that for yourself then until Autopilot is done I don't think Tesla can make you happy.

Last edited by a moderator: