Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the Paint it Black/Benny Hill AP videos from Tesla, part of the system's vision is based on movement*

I assume that this is used to align the lane markings on the dash and is also the reason why they wiggle when the car is stationary.

Anyone want to check if the wiggle goes away if the car creeps forward?

A simple fix would be to switch to a static lane line image on the dash below, say, 2 mph. The car would still be seeing a wiggle but I don't need to know about it.

*insert Jurassic Park meme

Last edited:
According to /r/teslamotors they released autosteer for local roads < 35 mph with the latest update from today.

Would check it but I am on vacation! Anyone have video of how it performs? I am really curious if they improved the cornering and line line detection which was really wonky in the two prior versions.

Someone that got the update posted the release notes on FB. Max 35 on surface streets with divider. TeslaFi is showing 7 cars with the update, 17.5.36.

The way I read it, that is not correct...

It states, on local streets and roads without a center divider, Autosteer has a maximum speed of 35 MPH.

Does that not imply then that if the street does have a center divider, the 35MPH limit does not apply?

Last edited:
The way I read it, that is not correct...

It states, on local streets and roads without a center divider, Autosteer has a maximum speed of 35 MPH.

Does that not imply then that if the street does have a center divider, the 35MPH limit does not apply?

So I got the update yesterday. On my street there is no center divider and no line down the middle of the street and auto-steer is not available (the steering wheel is greyed out and the street lines are light grey).

On the main local road which does have the central yellow line and no divider it is limited as said to speed limit plus your offset up to a max of 35mph. Most of my local roads up here are 25mph or 35mph so its working ok. Would have been nice to be able to auto-steer down my own road and into my garage but small steps :)

Oh and in general its ok with snow banks at the side of the road, but not always, a couple of times yesterday it got a little too close to the snow bank.

My car has been on wifi with great connectivity for past 24 hours when not in use and no luck. I think Tesla knows this release isn't up to par and is working on a better one so no need to rush it out.

I received the last two updates as soon as people started reporting them on TMC and elsewhere, but I still don't have this one so I think you may be right.

I decided not to go to work yesterday and was keeping my fingers crossed to receive the update and do some testing, but no such luck. Agree that it's probably not coming in its current iteration. Probably just a very limited roll out.

Got a handful of autosteer local miles in today with 17.5.36.

If ever there was a definition of Beta this is it. Almost completely dependent upon lane markings. If not 100% clearly marked there was massive ping-ponging going on. This better get some major work before wide-release.

Seems to highly prioritize centering the car within lane markings over ultrasonic detection of adjacent vehicles - so when that oversized truck/bus is on the edge Tesla is a number of inches away from grazing it.

As noted before cars merging and cars exiting the lane in front of you is handled pretty badly (abrupt braking/drifting).

Also, something interesting I hadn't noticed before but probably existed - Dashboard display of lane width changes corresponding to the width of the current lane.