Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot detecting motorscooters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto Lane Change has a specific warning in the Owner's Manual (p73) that it "can not detect oncoming traffic in the target lane, especially fast moving vehicles from the rear".

IMHO (and I'm sure someone will step in to correct or enhance this), this has to do with MS not having a rear camera connected to AutoPilot to see traffic approaching from the rear, and parking sensors having limited distance. Smaller fast moving objects will simply get buy the current technology requiring the driver to still be in charge of the major decisions. FWIW, my former Lexus had warnings about it's parking sensors and Radar Cruise Control (like TACC) not being able to consistently see small objects, bicycles, and pedestrians. Even our MS owner's manual calls out similar constraints with Park Assist not being able to detect children, pedestrians, bicyclists... (and those sensors are the same ones used with Auto Lane Change.)

Auto Lane Change has a specific warning in the Owner's Manual (p73) that it "can not detect oncoming traffic in the target lane, especially fast moving vehicles from the rear".

IMHO (and I'm sure someone will step in to correct or enhance this), this has to do with MS not having a rear camera connected to AutoPilot to see traffic approaching from the rear, and parking sensors having limited distance.
Also no rear facing radar.
Has anyone experienced Autopilot failing to detect motorcycles, motor scooters, or bicyclists ? I was recently playing around with lane changing, and had to abort a lane change due to a motor scooter in the right hand lane.
The current version of AP hardware and firmware REQUIRES the driver to first visually check the lane they plan to change into BEFORE doing an Auto Lane Change. The rear camera is not tied to the AP firmware. The ultrasonics can only "see" out about 16 feet and they do not reliably detect all objects within that range. There is no rear facing radar to detect objects farther away.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced Autopilot failing to detect motorcycles, motor scooters, or bicyclists ? I was recently playing around with lane changing, and had to abort a lane change due to a motor scooter in the right hand lane.

The driver is totally responsible for clearing the maneuver visually before commanding Autosteer to initiate a lane change. The ultrasonics don't have the range or precision to allow the car to 'see' what needs to be seen.

I'm pretty sure there's a hole in the ultrasound coverage alongside the car on each side with the Model S.

There's a side looking sensor behind the front wheel, and one in front of the rear wheel, but AFAIK nothing between (hard with the door geometry.)

Anything the is between the arcs of those two sensors is quite invisible to the car. (Other cars and most motorcycles are long enough that they should show up on one or the other.)
Walter

Definitely do not rely on the ultrasonic sensors to spot vehicles in whatever lane to plan to change into. Those sensors have limited range and the system has no other way of seeing vehicles around the sides and rear. Just make sure the lane is clear before you hit that turn signal!

Based on a very small sample of tests, I've concluded that the front facing camera/radar detects motorcycles reliably and the side sensors only detect them sporadically.
\
That's my experience as well.
On my car, the front sonar sensors are pretty poor at detecting anything, including walls, if they aren't at least even with the sensor location, that is, they seem to have very little sensitivity to the rear.