Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot blinded, disengaged by sun on interstate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time in the 2+ years I've owned the car I saw the "camera blinded" message, which appeared to be due to the low winter sun. But also possibly because I haven't washed the car in a while... I wasn't on AP at the time though. It seems to also make the auto wipers think it is raining, so I often have to force those off.

Yeah the combo of winter, plus the higher latitude definitely makes even the mid day sun angle pretty darn low.
Thanks for the reference point. Do you think it's just particularly strong sunlight lately? I had washed my car recently. Also my auto wipers seem worse than ever.

Yesterday morning EAP disengaged twice (take over now) on my morning commute. 5 am, still dark but clear skies, well lit interstate, dry, 4 lanes with few other cars. Had just hand washed my car over Christmas, cameras were definitely clean.
Keep track of software versions when this happens. I know when I had v48.12 it seemed the front cameras were more sensitive to light. v48.26 seems back to normal.

Happens to me once in a while. It's one of the many reasons I don't think robo taxi will ever exist with current hardware. I'm in NY it's not even like there is a lot of low sun.

Sometimes it stays engaged but you get a side camera blocked alert. Guess the side cameras don't matter enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nickage87
Wondering if anyone else has experienced autopilot disengaging itself more often than usual due to the sun.

Was driving on a pretty flat, straight portion of southbound I5 from Northern WA to Seattle on Saturday afternoon. It was a sunny blue sky and dry day with a steady stream of traffic, 70-75 mph. Autopilot was blinded by the sun and disengaged itself 4-5 times in ~30 miles (take over immediately). Never experienced that before, this is my third winter in a Tesla. I have noticed issues with sunlight and AP getting worse this past year (bridge shadows and phantom breaking on Seattle area highways have been bad). Have not followed any of the AP threads.

Is anyone else is experiencing this? Do you think I need to make a service appointment? Does anyone here clean cameras before every long distance drive? 2018 3 LR AWD EAP.

Happens to me TWICE every single day as i drive to work at sunrise and return at sunset. This is why tesla will never have self driving capability you need video and Lidar for FSD

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
Now imagine your robotaxi is riding some customers and this happens, everyone is dead and you are responsible.

Just a reminder we should have robotaxis in two days, and FSD as well.
Meanwhile at the tesla product development meeting...
upload_2020-12-29_18-56-15.png

last fall there was a pint where I was heading in to the sun every day at about the same time and every day it would shut off. I can understand why it can't "see", but why oh why can't we have dumb cruise control as a backup? I can't hold my speed steady anymore after being soiled by cruise for the past 30 years.

We have also had it disabled for humidity inside the car, I am guessing fogging in front of the cameras, heavy rain and often in snow as it blocks sensors and cameras pretty regularly, again a plain old cruise control would be a great backup option...

• Informative
last fall there was a pint where I was heading in to the sun every day at about the same time and every day it would shut off. I can understand why it can't "see", but why oh why can't we have dumb cruise control as a backup? I can't hold my speed steady anymore after being soiled by cruise for the past 30 years.

We have also had it disabled for humidity inside the car, I am guessing fogging in front of the cameras, heavy rain and often in snow as it blocks sensors and cameras pretty regularly, again a plain old cruise control would be a great backup option...
Agree that dumb cruise control would be a good back up, but I can't see them offering that for several reasons.

I haven't driven a non-Tesla new car in a while - do other manufacturers have TACC that reverts to regular CC as a back up?

Agree that dumb cruise control would be a good back up, but I can't see them offering that for several reasons.

I haven't driven a non-Tesla new car in a while - do other manufacturers have TACC that reverts to regular CC as a back up?
Usually comes as three different functions: CC + Lane Keep + Dynamic Radar CC. So you can use all of them independently.

• Informative
I had it happen for the first time a week or so ago. I initially thought it was sun glare because the sun was pretty low and shining directly into the camera, but when I got out at my destination a few minutes later, I looked at the pillar camera and there was definitely condensation in there blocking it.

I did a quick search for how to get rid of pillar condensation and the consensus was to run the AC. I cranked the fan up for 5 minutes and the condensation went away.

I suspect people are experiencing temporary condensation. Maybe the sun shining on the pillar causes it to warm slightly which causes it to form.
It might only last a few minutes though, so it could be clear by the time you get out and check.

I washed my car the day before this happened.

Ladysbff, yes most of the other cars that have TACC fall back to regular cc if for whatever reason they aren't working. I do agree though I bet it is so people are used to the car breaking automatically, but in regular cc mode it wouldn't and that might be an issue. Again a big warning that the car won't break works for me.

North75 we have run in to that as well, cranking the defrost usually clears that one up, but the sun straight out where the sun blinds the driver as well, usually blinds the front camera :)