Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Presenting Front Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like the lower position is engineered for the rain or low garage access. Easy entry to the seats, but the door side sticks way out. It is a game changer for the doors in unique weather situations and to help with low ceilings.
Thanks Mark.
Do you think an adult can get in with the door at the halfway open position?

- - - Updated - - -

The FWDs work -perfectly- now. I mean -perfectly-.

Great to hear, what is the improvement you've seen with the FWD? Speed? better sensor sensitivity? TIA

...Do you think an adult can get in with the door at the halfway open position?...
Absolutely. The only difference is less headroom in the area of the Falcon Wing Door once you step into the vehicle.

Maybe if I approach the car from the front instead of the trunk will avoid activating the driver door opening?
Those who have a Model X know when it activates. The car has been flashing the parking lights since day one whenever the key fob arrives or departs the vehicle area. It has been a lesson in keeping the key fob away from the vehicle at home!

Think of how auto present handles work with Model S. Now imagine the driver door opening instead of the handle appearing.

UPDATE: The driver door will only open under the "right" conditions. Can it be fooled, yes. Watch madodel's video in his post below for perfect operation. I will add a curb side video to the flickr album soon.

Last edited:
So, the driver door will open FULLY when I approach the trunk? ... What if I park on the street? Would the driver door be hit by the traffic when I approach it?:scared:

When I park next to an object and approach my Model X from behind, the door does not open fully. The door opens when you are at the rear passenger bumper (not directly behind it). So, a car would hit you before it would hit the door. Or a skilled stunt driver could miss you and have about a car length to swerve back in and knock the door off.

It's possible, but unlikely.

Maybe if I approach the car from the front instead of the trunk will avoid activating the driver door opening?

Approaching from the front (coming around the the hood of the car) the driver door pops open a few inches. Walk past the door and it opens fully (unless there is an obstacle) same as approaching from the back. As long as I stay on the passenger side of my X the driver door doesn't open. Walk away from the driver side, maybe 10 feet and the door closes itself. Tesla Model X Driver Door AutoOpen - YouTube

Or decapitating a cyclist with the falcon doors. :) Deja vu?
Only the driver door opens, so the falcon door shouldn't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Approaching from the front (coming around the the hood of the car) the driver door pops open a few inches. Walk past the door and it opens fully (unless there is an obstacle) same as approaching from the back. As long as I stay on the passenger side of my X the driver door doesn't open. Walk away from the driver side, maybe 10 feet and the door closes itself. Tesla Model X Driver Door AutoOpen - YouTube
That video is AMAZING.

I just tried it in my garage and it does the same thing, even the closing of the door when the key fob is on the passenger side rear corner. Once the key fob is back in the house, the car locks, the mirrors fold in and the spoiler lowers.

The strange part is how my driver door will swing wide, and then decide to close a bit. If you saw my photos, you know the sensor is "seeing" things on that side, so that is most likely the reason.

Great video, thanks for sharing! So the car is actually detecting the driver's path of approach like Elon said at the reveal.:rolleyes:

Wow!! That is so cool. Damn! Thanks for the video.

So, the driver door will open FULLY when I approach the trunk? ... What if I park on the street? Would the driver door be hit by the traffic when I approach it?:scared:
The driver door will open depending on the position of the key fob and the car. If I directly approach the trunk, it did not open. If I approach on the left side of the trunk, the door can open.

I have posted a video where I have stepped off the sidewalk at the rear of the vehicle to look left and right closer to the street. The key fob is in my upper left shirt pocket. Notice how the door does open as I look right and I am standing behind the vehicle.

Door Open Example | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If I exit the vehicle to the grassy area across the street, the door will close before reaching the other sidewalk. However, I could NOT get the door to open by walking directly across the street to stand behind the door. IMHO, the programming Tesla Motors has accomplished is very intelligent.

Door Opening is Intelligent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
I wanted to reiterate my love for this new update...much-improved FWD, auto-open and close...I'm just waiting for the time when I'll leave the Model S with the door wide open and just walk away. On a different note, prior to the update, this past weekend, I did have an issue where the drivers side falcon door was just completely stuck. It was "mostly" closed, but the car registered it as open. Despite pushing/pulling and encouraging it to open with multiple override attempts, I powered the car down, popped off the lower speaker panel and pulled the manual release. This is documented in the "first responder" manual and it releases the latch with the door then free to be pushed up. I don't anticipate that I will ever need to do this again, but I thought it would be helpful information to have out there.

As for the loss of the tone on closing, I do think it speeds up the door closing a bit as on the prior software, the tone would register before any movement of the FWD. It would be interesting if you could customize the sound on FWD opening though...(for dramatic effect)

Or decapitating a cyclist with the falcon doors. :) Deja vu?
The doors are actually safer for cyclists. Instead of a slab of door swinging out directly into the bikes path the Falcons slither up and stop high. I regularly park on a busy bike rider street next to the ocean and the door when fully open is well above the helmet of cyclists. It would take a really really tall rider to bump an open door.

The doors are actually safer for cyclists. Instead of a slab of door swinging out directly into the bikes path the Falcons slither up and stop high. I regularly park on a busy bike rider street next to the ocean and the door when fully open is well above the helmet of cyclists. It would take a really really tall rider to bump an open door.
The new half open position using the latest version 7.1 software will require a shorter bike rider to avoid hitting these Falcon Wing Doors.

IMG_2564.jpg

My Driver's door seems to get a mind of its own, opening and then shutting - especially if there is a key close by. I have also found that if I open the door, to lean in and get something out, it tries to close it on me. MarkZ - or others - do you notice any of this type of behavior? Maybe I just need to reboot!

It's almost to the point of turning the feature off.