Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto night mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my car is very frustrating too.. but just had to learn to deal with it.
I'd contact service because my S85 works almost perfectly. The only thing that it doesn't handle well is daytime fog, then I have to turn on the lights manually. I can see it being technically difficult to get automatic lights on daytime fog because there would have to be a way to detect fog--can't just use the light levels.

Service can do nothing. This is how it is. If it suddenly gets dark (like entering a tunnel), the screen will keep its day-mode for many minutes, ruining your night vision. It should of course flip to night mode immediately. It does not work.
The headlights/rear lights react immediately though, so the sensor works. It's just that Tesla thinks full sunshine on a 17" screen is OK while driving in darkness.

Service can do nothing. This is how it is. If it suddenly gets dark (like entering a tunnel), the screen will keep its day-mode for many minutes, ruining your night vision. It should of course flip to night mode immediately. It does not work.
The headlights/rear lights react immediately though, so the sensor works. It's just that Tesla thinks full sunshine on a 17" screen is OK while driving in darkness.

Mine doesn't work that way. It used to a long time ago (4.2 or some such revision) and it was very annoying when it did.

I published a video with the Day sensing software bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aafjJO5_JU&feature=youtu.be

I can repro fairly easily.
1 - Set the Display Mode to Auto and Night Brightness to 50%.
2 - Drive at night and temporarily change the default brightness to 0% with the right side scroll wheel, (if you have configured that way)
3 - Park in the garage
4 - Next day go out of the garage
5 - Dashboard won't switch to Day Mode even when it is in Auto (Here is when the bug appears)
6 - If you switch back and forth between Auto => Day => Auto => Day it won't fix
7 - Switch between Auto => Night => Auto and the problem is fixed.

I'm having a similar problem on my 85D. A problem that I never had on my S85. I recently upgraded my lighting in my garage to LED from florescent (before I got the 85D but after the S85). If it's night out and the lights are on in the garage when I back out the car never switches to night mode. I have to hold the roller wheels and reboot the screen and then it switches. The headlights come on normally. So it's obviously not a sensor problem. If I'm out and about and day turns to night while driving it switches as you'd expect.

I'm going to try the Auto/Night/Auto switch and the wait 5 minutes bits and see if that changes anything. But it seems to me that this is a software bug.

I'm having a similar problem on my 85D. A problem that I never had on my S85. I recently upgraded my lighting in my garage to LED from florescent (before I got the 85D but after the S85). If it's night out and the lights are on in the garage when I back out the car never switches to night mode. I have to hold the roller wheels and reboot the screen and then it switches. The headlights come on normally. So it's obviously not a sensor problem. If I'm out and about and day turns to night while driving it switches as you'd expect.

I'm going to try the Auto/Night/Auto switch and the wait 5 minutes bits and see if that changes anything. But it seems to me that this is a software bug.

Wow - I did same thing and have the same situation - What are the odds!
I went to LED's - well I had the tiny light in the garage door opener and wanted to have some real light.