Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lock and unlock doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when you approach the car all doors unlock, this is ok, but when you or your wife are alone in a parking lot or parking garage it would be nice to have just one door unlock so someone cant jump in from the other side. I know I can select which doors unlocks on my truck. do you think you would like that choice? I sent a e-mail to tesla to look into it.

My previous car only unlocked the driver's door by default when approaching (although you could have it set to unlock all). The Tesla doesn't. I don't feel any less safe in the Tesla. These days, thanks to certain media, there are so many people that live in fear that it's probably a worthwhile option.

when you approach the car all doors unlock, this is ok, but when you or your wife are alone in a parking lot or parking garage it would be nice to have just one door unlock so someone cant jump in from the other side. I know I can select which doors unlocks on my truck. do you think you would like that choice? I sent a e-mail to tesla to look into it.

I thought I read here about a variation of your suggestion called "Driver Mode" will be an option in 7.1. As I understand it if turned on only the driver door unlocks as you approach your car not all doors as it is now.

What I want is a gps enable auto lock so that it won't auto lock when sitting in your own garage at home.
Autolock in the garage is one of the things I would have like in the Prius because if you didn't quite shut the door, there was a good chance the battery would be dead in the morning.

What I want is a gps enable auto lock so that it won't auto lock when sitting in your own garage at home.
Do you trust the GPS to be precise enough that it knows the difference between your garage, your driveway, and the street in front of the house? I don't...
Plus, I've always locked my cars even in my garage, an extra layer of security on a $100,000 vehicle is never a bad thing.

Do you trust the GPS to be precise enough that it knows the difference between your garage, your driveway, and the street in front of the house? I don't...
Plus, I've always locked my cars even in my garage, an extra layer of security on a $100,000 vehicle is never a bad thing.

I never park my car in the street or driveway, so, not a concern for me. And if a thief broke into my garage, and got past my two dogs, chances are they'd be able to find the key rack with the spare key...

It won't completely solve your problem, but you do know that if you unlock the car with your fob once you are in your garage it won't automatically lock again, right?

Training myself to do something like just isn't in the cards. I can also select a different driver profile that I set up that doesn't have auto lock when I get home, but I always forget to do that too. I've left groceries to rot in the frunk overnight. Hmmm, maybe I have other issues :)

Training myself to do something like just isn't in the cards. I can also select a different driver profile that I set up that doesn't have auto lock when I get home, but I always forget to do that too. I've left groceries to rot in the frunk overnight. Hmmm, maybe I have other issues :)

I know what you mean. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a "training" or a "have to remember" thing.

Let's say you park on a Friday evening, and go back out to the garage, with your fob, and hear the car unlock, which reminds you that you are annoyed that the car is going to lock and unlock all weekend as you pass it doing stuff in the garage. When you hear it unlock that first time, if you just reach in your pocket and double-click the fob to unlock it, it should remain unlocked. So you don't need to remember anything. You can just make use of the function when you are reminded that the locking and unlocking is about to bug you.