Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key activated but no auto-lock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model Y. I like having the phone key activated but…I’d actually like for it to NOT auto lock when I walk away with my phone. Would be nice to leave it unlocked when it’s parked in my garage. Is it possible to turn off the auto lock feature while still keeping my phone key active?

The Model Y User Manual can be your new best friend. From there:

Walk-Away Door Lock

Doors and trunks can automatically lock when you walk away carrying your phone key or paired key fob. To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock.
When the doors lock, the exterior lights flash once and the mirrors fold (if Fold Mirrors is on). To also hear a confirmation sound when Model Ylocks, touch Controls > Locks > Lock Confirmation Sound.
Note
Touch Toybox > Boombox > Lock Sound to customize the lock sound when the vehicle is locked from the outside (Pedestrian Warning System required).
Model Y does not automatically lock if:
  • You check the Exclude Home checkbox and Model Y is parked at the location you have designated as Home. For details on how to designate a location as Home, see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations.
  • A phone key or paired key fob is detected inside Model Y.
  • A door or trunk is not fully closed.
  • The phone key's Bluetooth setting is turned off.
  • If Model Y detects an authenticated key for several minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.
  • The driver does not use the driver door to get out of the vehicle.
I use exclude home on mine and it doesn't lock and the phone key still works. Welcome to the club.

Upvote 0

The Model Y User Manual can be your new best friend. From there:

Walk-Away Door Lock

Doors and trunks can automatically lock when you walk away carrying your phone key or paired key fob. To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock.
When the doors lock, the exterior lights flash once and the mirrors fold (if Fold Mirrors is on). To also hear a confirmation sound when Model Ylocks, touch Controls > Locks > Lock Confirmation Sound.
Note
Touch Toybox > Boombox > Lock Sound to customize the lock sound when the vehicle is locked from the outside (Pedestrian Warning System required).
Model Y does not automatically lock if:
  • You check the Exclude Home checkbox and Model Y is parked at the location you have designated as Home. For details on how to designate a location as Home, see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations.
  • A phone key or paired key fob is detected inside Model Y.
  • A door or trunk is not fully closed.
  • The phone key's Bluetooth setting is turned off.
  • If Model Y detects an authenticated key for several minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.
  • The driver does not use the driver door to get out of the vehicle.
I use exclude home on mine and it doesn't lock and the phone key still works. Welcome to the club.
Thank you!!!

Upvote 0