Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Locks Fails to Hold When Partner Leaves Phone in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife accidentally left her phone in my Model Y while shopping. The car sent me a notification saying that the car was unlocked. I had seen this before when she did it another time so I knew she had left her phone in the car and walked away. I used the Tesla App on my phone to remotely lock it which it showed that it did. I knew she had the card key and so would be able to get back into the car when she returned to it. So I thought all was good. However, when she got home she told me that as she approached the car she realized her phone was left in it. She went to open the driver’s door, a sentry mode indication flashed on the screen but it let her in WITHOUT having to use the card key. I was able to reproduce the problem by doing the following:

1. Place a paired phone inside the Model Y.
2. Exit the vehicle.
3. Initiate a remote lock using the Tesla mobile app from another phone (from an adequate distance so as to not unlock it). You will see that the lock icon goes to lock.
4. Walk up to the car without your phone and attempt to enter the vehicle from the driver’s door.
5. While you may see a sentry mode indication, the car will let you in.

This is a change in behavior. A year or so ago when she did this, a remote lock held and she had to use her key card to get in. The car is a 2021 Model Y running version 2023.27.7.

Reactions: Prairie
I'm not surprised at all. I'm under the impression this falls into the "bluetooth glitch" territory. Your wife's phone is within bluetooth range of the car obviously, so when someone touches a door handle the car unlocks. I don't think the bluetooth signal is good enough to properly discern that the phone is actually inside the car and thus shouldn't unlock the door.
At least I don't trust this. When my wife is with me, I tell her to either bring her phone or disable bluetooth on it when leaving the car.

If your phone has been paired as a key& you leave your phone in the car with Bluetooth on you are basically leaving your keys in car and anyone who opens the door will be able to access your car.If you want to leave your phone in the car the best option is to turn the Bluetooth off on your phone before you exit

Nothing malfunctioned in this scenario.

Unlike traditional key fobs, there is no true proximity detection. Just if the Bluetooth signal is “strong enough” indicating the phone key is nearby and the car should allow unlocking and starting.

The car has no way to know if the phone is inside or outside of the car. I have unlocked and driven away with my phone during on my shoe rack in the garage.

Long story short, you cannot lock an active phone key or key fob inside the car because the car will unlock for anyone that tries to open the door.

This happened to me three years ago. I was getting married and hid my car to prevent my siblings from making my car dirty. My wife left her phone in the car, and it unlocked when they found my car and filled it with gag gifts.

• Funny
Reactions: ionsphere
You could just turn off the 'Phone Key' slider in the Tesla app under Security & Drivers. This will disable using phone as a key. You can always turn it on again as needed. I use a fob and turn off the phone as a key since sometimes I forget my phone in the car or I may be close enough for BT to be detected and allow access to the car.

Reactions: avramd
You could just turn off the 'Phone Key' slider in the Tesla app under Security & Drivers. This will disable using phone as a key. You can always turn it on again as needed. I use a fob and turn off the phone as a key since sometimes I forget my phone in the car or I may be close enough for BT to be detected and allow access to the car.
Wouldn't that keep other phones from opening the door as well? Or is there a per-phone option. I know that you can delete a key, but having to readd is a PITA.

What he said. This was a big problem for a long time, this is exactly why this feature was introduced.

Does "walk away lock" work for you if you leave your phone in the car?

I have discovered that if leave the phone in the car (the app's phone key slider is off) and get out WITH THE FOB IN MY POCKET and walk away, the car will not lock automatically. Walk away lock is set on my profile.

If I go back to the car (without the fob) and remove my phone, it will automatically lock as I walk away. Just opening/closing the doors is insufficient (I tried it), I need to remove the phone from the car for it to lock.

Anyone have any ideas? This seems like a bug, given that phone key is disabled. Or at least bad UX design.

Does "walk away lock" work for you if you leave your phone in the car?

I have discovered that if leave the phone in the car (the app's phone key slider is off) and get out WITH THE FOB IN MY POCKET and walk away, the car will not lock automatically. Walk away lock is set on my profile.

If I go back to the car (without the fob) and remove my phone, it will automatically lock as I walk away. Just opening/closing the doors is insufficient (I tried it), I need to remove the phone from the car for it to lock.

Anyone have any ideas? This seems like a bug, given that phone key is disabled. Or at least bad UX design.
I stopped using my phone as key and just use the key fob on my 3. I find it is more convenient for me and also is better for my parents given their limited technical prowess. I turned off the key setting on my Telsa app. I always take my phone. My Dad has forgotten his phone in his Y and it was locked when I went back to grab it for him.