Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been through several pages on this thread starting from 750 and wanted to share my experience.

Ordered MYRWD base white on Friday 15/03/2024
Got email and SMS saying a Model Y has been assigned to your order on Monday 18/03/2024
Got another SMS and email today 20/03/2024 to schedule delivery at Chatwood DC
Pick up scheduled at Chatswood on Thursday 28/03/2024 at 7pm?

Had to call Tesla to confirm the time because Chatswood Tesla closes at 5pm according to their website.
Tesla confirmed end of quarter for them and they will be closing late.

Checked VIN and its 01/2024 build date.

Hope everything goes well for me and everyone else still waiting.

cheers

Been through several pages on this thread starting from 750 and wanted to share my experience.

Ordered MYRWD base white on Friday 15/03/2024
Got email and SMS saying a Model Y has been assigned to your order on Monday 18/03/2024
Got another SMS and email today 20/02/2024 to schedule delivery at Chatwood DC
Pick up scheduled at Chatswood on Thursday 28/03/2024 at 7pm?

Had to call Tesla to confirm the time because Chatswood Tesla closes at 5pm according to their website.
Tesla confirmed end of quarter for them and they will be closing late.

Checked VIN and its 01/2024 build date.

Hope everything goes well for me and everyone else still waiting.

cheers
That’s some good fortune right there - enjoy !

Was excited to pick up our model Y last Saturday however there was a large scratch on the passenger side A pillar which they were unable to buff out. The Tesla staff were nice enough and said yes it is not acceptable. It is an ex-Glovis Sept 23 build so sorta have to wonder if the extra handling increased the risk of damage. Anyway they say they are going to replace the part / respray. My question is what right do I have to refuse and request a different VIN given I've already paid and presumably the vehicle has been registered. I find it very sneaky that Tesla make you pay and register pre-delivery which ?makes it harder to reject on delivery day? What are the legalities / rights around this? I'll probably end up accepting it presuming the repair is perfect but I do worry about receiving a "new" car that is essentially now refurbished. And yes I am aware that this happens in the industry not uncommonly but I've never been in the situation of having already paid the entire amount before being able to inspect the car.

Was excited to pick up our model Y last Saturday however there was a large scratch on the passenger side A pillar which they were unable to buff out. The Tesla staff were nice enough and said yes it is not acceptable. It is an ex-Glovis Sept 23 build so sorta have to wonder if the extra handling increased the risk of damage. Anyway they say they are going to replace the part / respray. My question is what right do I have to refuse and request a different VIN given I've already paid and presumably the vehicle has been registered. I find it very sneaky that Tesla make you pay and register pre-delivery which ?makes it harder to reject on delivery day? What are the legalities / rights around this? I'll probably end up accepting it presuming the repair is perfect but I do worry about receiving a "new" car that is essentially now refurbished. And yes I am aware that this happens in the industry not uncommonly but I've never been in the situation of having already paid the entire amount before being able to inspect the car.
Cmon mate.
A respray by Tesla themselves doesn’t count as a repair. You aren’t getting a refurbished anything, an imperfection is being rectified.

You have no right to request a different VIN. I suspect your choices are reject the vehicle and cancel the order (and forfeit the $400) and go in the queue or accept it with the remedial works .

The real reason for your annoyance is you don’t want an ex- Glovis car. You, like everyone else, wanted a 2024 build.

Unfortunately Tesla work differently to basically everyone else. They don’t have to offer discounts because for every you in the queue there’s another 100 behind.

Enjoy the new Y.

Cmon mate.
A respray by Tesla themselves doesn’t count as a repair. You aren’t getting a refurbished anything, an imperfection is being rectified.

You have no right to request a different VIN. I suspect your choices are reject the vehicle and cancel the order (and forfeit the $400) and go in the queue or accept it with the remedial works .

The real reason for your annoyance is you don’t want an ex- Glovis car. You, like everyone else, wanted a 2024 build.

Unfortunately Tesla work differently to basically everyone else. They don’t have to offer discounts because for every you in the queue there’s another 100 behind.

Enjoy the new Y.
Lol mate. Yes it is a repair. They are actually replacing a part and respraying it. And it's not by "Tesla themselves" it is an authorised repairer nearby. Whatever you want to say it's not factory new.

Am I annoyed that it is an ex-Glovis car being delivered in 2024 whilst people who ordered earlier get 2024 cars? Of course. This issue just compounds my existing annoyance. Tesla have not handled the whole Glovis saga well at all and only fan boys would defend their handling of the matter.

Can I get over all of the above? Yes if the car is pristine when they re-deliver it. I believe it is still the best EV on the market.

Has it been a good experience compared to buying a car from a traditional dealer? Definitely not.

Peace

Lol mate. Yes it is a repair. They are actually replacing a part and respraying it. And it's not by "Tesla themselves" it is an authorised repairer nearby. Whatever you want to say it's not factory new.

Am I annoyed that it is an ex-Glovis car being delivered in 2024 whilst people who ordered earlier get 2024 cars? Of course. This issue just compounds my existing annoyance. Tesla have not handled the whole Glovis saga well at all and only fan boys would defend their handling of the matter.

Can I get over all of the above? Yes if the car is pristine when they re-deliver it. I believe it is still the best EV on the market.

Has it been a good experience compared to buying a car from a traditional dealer? Definitely not.

Peace
I disagree with point one. It remains new. The internal systems remain unused. They’re fixing a defect. Not a unique experience in the Tesla ecosystem - yes, unique to them and not ideal.
Out of interest what timeframe were you given on the fix?

The second point I don’t disagree with you - Tesla have absolutely botched the Glovis debacle. Are you someone who was impacted by the initial delivery delay or did you just happen to get an ex Glovis car? These are two different and quite distinct classes of customer. If you had ordered a car, had it stuck in Glovis and then got the same car needing a fix I’d be livid. If you jumped on and got one of the cancelled Glovis then your anger at the ex-Glovis is a few notches less justified.

I wonder if they’d stuck the ex Glovis cars on the website and given people the free 6 months free EAP with the disclaimer whether they’d have any left or people would’ve snapped them up? At least this way people like yourself and others aren’t disappointed.

For context, I ordered my RWD 11 days ago, if it meant a quicker turnaround I’d take an ex-Glovis car. I wouldn’t be upset.

I had a three month referral tacked on so ended up with 9 months EAP, expires some time late November! Gotta be happy with that, mind you having played with some of the features I can't say it's really worth buying yet. Maybe later who really knows?
Took a few days to come through though.
If they broke the package up, I would get Auto Lane Change in a heartbeat but the rest is soooo not worth the $$.