Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Christmas GC update you've all been waiting for

1703489042816.png

Hey guy

Elon musk take care of his page in X, why don’t why come up to his page and leave a group message to confirm our order ???

We need to make a big voice otherwise no body care of us if we still make a small complaint here all the time
This I agreed. I have left a number of tweets…but more people need to do the same. Elon is a visionary guy who will want his employees and subcontractors to perform. This is a supply chain issue that Tesla can do something about. No noise…Tesla will keep it as business-as-usual!

The worst part of this GC debacle is being the laughing stock of workmates and friends who are constantly prodding for updates. It's nonstop and ruthless lol.

In all seriousness though, many of them were already on the fence about Tesla and EVs in general. This has given them ample ammunition.

Pretty sure none will be purchasing a new Tesla anytime soon.

The customer service has been truly lackluster. Would be nice to get an actual call from a Tesla rep instead of an impersonal email saying suck it.

So, I did some simple maths:
From the indicated track, Brisbane to Shanghai is about 12 days (ship was averaging 15kts once it got underway). So 8 days from its last position at midnight on the 25th.
So if there's no drama with officials getting into Shanghai, and say it takes 2 days to unload, 10 days to clean the cars properly and 2 days to reload (hopefully on a different ship with no bugs), we can expect to see our cars arriving off the coast of Brisbane in about 34 to 35 days - 5 weeks.
Then we have to go through the DAFF inspection again. If they find any biosecurity issue, that will be another 2 weeks...
Have I missed anything?

Reactions: MrMister
The worst part of this GC debacle is being the laughing stock of workmates and friends who are constantly prodding for updates. It's nonstop and ruthless lol.

In all seriousness though, many of them were already on the fence about Tesla and EVs in general. This has given them ample ammunition.

Pretty sure none will be purchasing a new Tesla anytime soon.

The customer service has been truly lackluster. Would be nice to get an actual call from a Tesla rep instead of an impersonal email saying suck it.
This could've happened to any brand and potentially any ship. EVs shouldn't even be part of the equation as the stink bugs on board aren't a reflection on Tesla and their vehicles.

Sure, the communications could have been more transparent (and hopefully you will all still get a more detailed explanation) but an individual call from a Rep, while would've been nice, is possibly not feasible due to the amount of customers affected and other variables at play (Christmas time, other ships/deliveries inbound).

If this had happened to another brand, I would almost expect the same or less communications from them.. I'm not even sure other brands provide such a granular level of delivery estimation based on so many moving parts when your vehicle is not even on Australian soil yet. Tesla can learn from this, but it was also the first time in the world a Tesla ship has allegedly been sent back to its port of origin due to quarantine requirements.

Despite everything, it's disheartening to see you all going through this. I sincerely hope that in ~8 weeks time, you'll be enjoying the comforts of your brand-new Model Y, and this current situation will be nothing more than a fading memory.

Take a month off, don't check the forums or groups, enjoy the summer and a new ship will be here before you know it.

On the topic of Tesla customer service / communication, if you go back to the beginning of this very thread you'll find that it's the reason for its existence. It's like buying something off Aliexpress.

As for the issue with GC, it's a PITA for those waiting. My mate got hit with a similar situation a few years back, and Mercedes had to send his car back to Europe which added 4 months to the delivery. Stink bug crisis delays thousands of new Australian cars - carsales.com.au

Once you finally get your car, all will be forgotten.

This could've happened to any brand and potentially any ship. EVs shouldn't even be part of the equation as the stink bugs on board aren't a reflection on Tesla and their vehicles.

Sure, the communications could have been more transparent (and hopefully you will all still get a more detailed explanation) but an individual call from a Rep, while would've been nice, is possibly not feasible due to the amount of customers affected and other variables at play (Christmas time, other ships/deliveries inbound).

If this had happened to another brand, I would almost expect the same or less communications from them.. I'm not even sure other brands provide such a granular level of delivery estimation based on so many moving parts when your vehicle is not even on Australian soil yet. Tesla can learn from this, but it was also the first time in the world a Tesla ship has allegedly been sent back to its port of origin due to quarantine requirements.

Despite everything, it's disheartening to see you all going through this. I sincerely hope that in ~8 weeks time, you'll be enjoying the comforts of your brand-new Model Y, and this current situation will be nothing more than a fading memory.

Take a month off, don't check the forums or groups, enjoy the summer and a new ship will be here before you know it.
With respect, it's 100% a reflection on Tesla. This has happened before and on this exact ship. If I made a mistake of this magnitude at work - twice - I'd be sacked. Tesla should ensure their vendor has the-strictest-of-strict protocols, especially when loading product prone to bugs this time of year. I sure hope heads roll somewhere for this. The alternative is don't provide three week delivery windows that prompt hundreds of people to make serious life decisions on money and transport arrangements. It's disgraceful on many levels.

With respect, it's 100% a reflection on Tesla. This has happened before and on this exact ship. If I made a mistake of this magnitude at work - twice - I'd be sacked. Tesla should ensure their vendor has the-strictest-of-strict protocols, especially when loading product prone to bugs this time of year. I sure hope heads roll somewhere for this. The alternative is don't provide three week delivery windows that prompt hundreds of people to make serious life decisions on money and transport arrangements. It's disgraceful on many levels.
Yeah you're correct - it did happen previously on Glovis back in 2018. I'm not certain there were Tesla's on board in that instance, but the ship owner/company should certainly have improved processes and have a plan in place for this exact scenario. Obviously, something has fallen through the cracks and hopefully an internal investigation uncovers the how/why.

Tesla rightfully should ask for a refund on shipping costs, or at least a reduction. I'm certain there would be contractual obligations between Tesla and their shipping contractors and failure to deliver clauses.

Personally, I feel getting frustrated at Tesla for stink bugs on the ship is a little out of their lane. However, how they deal with it and how they keep their customers informed is certainly a reflection on them.

I 100% agree with you, Tesla's ambitioius delivery estimates should maybe be a little more on the conservative side for instances just like this. Perhaps in future, they just provide a month/s estimation and then once the ship clears quarantine, update customers with a specific week/s timeframe.

Just to reiterate, stink bugs on a ship I don't feel is a reflection on Tesla. It's the shipping company who Tesla pays who should be held to account here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22
Correct my understanding is it wasn't a Tesla shipment last time and to be fair its not a Tesla ship and not even a 100% Tesla shipment this time.

Also twice in almost 6 years is a very long bow to draw when ships have this problem so often.

If it was twice in a year then you might have a point. The fact of the matter is there are only a few RORO companies who can provide the required level of international shipping. Tesla cannot tell them where and when to assign their ships. Excluding one entire fleet over something like this would also be lunacy and would kill their ability to deliver vehicles.

The bugs can find their way on to any ship at any time. The fact they happened to on a ship five or six years ago does not increase the likelihood for that ship one iota.

It's not even remotely a Tesla issue, as I've said I get the frustration but common sense needs to be used.

Personally I am satisfied when it comes to Tesla's communication with regards to this issue. Car manufacturers have to deal with logistics force majeures which can result in scenarios like this. They can't just have a back up ship full of Y's to ensure they deliver on time.

What I am very unimpressed about, is the misleading concept of "inventory" cars. When I placed my order, I assumed (perhaps naively) that a car being classified as "inventory" was already in Australia.

What I am very unimpressed about, is the misleading concept of "inventory" cars. When I placed my order, I assumed (perhaps naively) that a car being classified as "inventory" was already in Australia.
You're not the only one to think that and you won't be the last. I was convinced by the salesperson, sure you'll get your car before Xmas lol....then the emails started coming.

Reactions: Subaru X