Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why i'm doing this but, taking a look at ADR, in particular Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 34/03 – Child Restraint Anchorages and Child Restraint Anchor Fittings) 2017. I guess this is the latest version, I've never used the site before, and it's late, I should be watching the latest Dave Chappelle Netflix special instead.

Does 6.1.1.1 refer to the Second Row Seats having 3 belts but, they split right down the middle, therefore middle seat anchorage is not required? e.g. like a 50/50 split , not 60/40 split?

Does 6.1.1.2 suggest the middle anchorage point is not neccessary as long as there are ones present for the other seating positions?

It's too late for this *sugar*.

View attachment 1009711

6.1.1.1 is the clause in this case. Basically, it's saying that if the back seat splits 50/50, you don't need to provide the upper tether point.

6.1.1.2 refers to vehicles with three rows of seats. If the folding seat is how you get at the seats in the rear, it doesn't need a tether.

I smoked into the ADR in some detail a few weeks ago in this forum. If you are suffering from insomnia, search back through my posts and enjoy.

6.1.1.1 is the clause in this case. Basically, it's saying that if the back seat splits 50/50, you don't need to provide the upper tether point.

6.1.1.2 refers to vehicles with three rows of seats. If the folding seat is how you get at the seats in the rear, it doesn't need a tether.

I smoked into the ADR in some detail a few weeks ago in this forum. If you are suffering from insomnia, search back through my posts and enjoy.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to take your word for it (and now that you mentioned it, yes I remember this being mentioned/explained before).

I'll do now what I should've done 2 hrs ago and pour me a neat whiskey and watch TV until tomorrow happens.

Reactions: dronus
Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to take your word for it (and now that you mentioned it, yes I remember this being mentioned/explained before).

I'll do now what I should've done 2 hrs ago and pour me a neat whiskey and watch TV until tomorrow happens.
i spent 2 hours reading up on child seats.
I dont know why
I didnt learn anything.
Tomorrow is another day closer

While people mention that ISOFIX seats don't require a top tether, I offer these comments

1) ISOFIX seats are safer with a 3 point attachment - 2 bottom and 1 top. In fact ALL ISOFIX child seats sold in Australia come with a top tether as part of AS/NZS 1754 standards.

2) Tesla and other manufacturers only install ISOFIX on the outboard seats and not the centre seats. This is because centre seats are designed to fold down and are narrower. So the S3XY does not have ISOFIX in the 2nd row centre seats. Despite people saying ISOFIX does not require top tether, all outboard ISOFIX compatible seats come with a top tether attachment point.

3) Given that the centre seat does not have an ISOFIX, the centre seat can only accomodate a seat belt attached child seat which needs a top tether attachment point.

4) it therefore makes no sense for centre seats which has no ISOFIX attachments to not have a top tether attachment.

Last edited:
While people mention that ISOFIX seats don't require a top tether, I offer these comments

1) ISOFIX seats are safer with a 3 point attachment - 2 bottom and 1 top.

2) Tesla and other manufacturers only install ISOFIX on the outboard seats and not the centre seats. This is because centre seats are designed to fold down and are narrower. So the S3XY does not have ISOFIX in the 2nd row centre seats

3) Given that the centre seat does not have an ISOFIX, the centre seat can only accomodate a seat belt attached child seat which needs a top tether attachment point.

In Australia even IFOFIX require a top tether. Which is just bonkers, but it is because while ISOFIX is finally becoming a thing in Australia it still isn’t part of the regulations yet, so old school rules still apply here. So even if you use ISOFIX on an outboard seat you still legally require a top tether.

This hopefully will change in the future, just to make things simple. But for now it is the rules that all car makers follow.

There have been stories of cars that were never released in Australia precisely because they didn’t have the middle tether point and they saw no reason to design a new variant just to suit a small market. That would suck to see someone else ignore the rules and get away with it. So that was never gonna happen.

I do wonder whether the M3’s rear seat design is the actual issue here. It isn’t just a part of the middle seat that folds down to make an arm rest like most cars, and it isn’t the whole seat either, that would make a pass through gap to the boot like some other cars do. But in this car it is the whole section, including the headrest, that comes down but still leaves the back of the seat behind. It is an odd configuration in many ways. I do wonder if this is the reason they have left the tether missing.

Reactions: sishome
I am weird with cars, what I like and what I don’t like. But one key thing on the Volvo IX30 that put me off considering it was the lack of a centre arm rest in the back. I have an older kid and cup holders in the middle is a big feature for me. I can’t swear on it, but I do have an idea that I read this was something to do with child seat tethers. Volvo being Volvo and all.

Reactions: Chris744
How does a top tether render ISOFIX useless?

I think the very idea of ISOFIX was so that you didn’t have to use seatbelts to secure a child seat. It was an invention to get away from that. The only reason we need a top tether is because seat belts are a pretty useless way to secure one. So does seem a bit odd to still need a top tether. ISOFIX should be enough to keep a child seat firmly in place.

Reactions: sishome
I do wonder whether the M3’s rear seat design is the actual issue here. It isn’t just a part of the middle seat that folds down to make an arm rest like most cars, and it isn’t the whole seat either, that would make a pass through gap to the boot like some other cars do. But in this car it is the whole section, including the headrest, that comes down but still leaves the back of the seat behind. It is an odd configuration in many ways. I do wonder if this is the reason they have left the tether missing.
Is it different from the previous M3?

This is pretty irritating. I was collecting my car Monday 😠
I hope someone at Tesla is thinking about some sort of apology gift for the delay. Already waited quite a long time!

If you’re reading Tesla, maybe a decent discount on accessories, supercharging miles or referral points. 👀

And the reason is the arrogance of ADR developers,
I would think it's the arrogance of non engineers who think that the ADR and AS/NZS 1754 is less safe that other standard elsewhere

Basically from where I stand anti top tether commentators are saying that Non- ISOFIX child seats do not need top tethers. If you can tell me how that is safe, I'm all ears.

BTW I would only buy AS/NZS 1754 car seats as they are actually crash tested including roll overs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBau