Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi e-tron SB commercial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a commercial that Audi is set to run for SuperBowl tomorrow.

Audi Teases Two New e-tron Models In Super Bowl Commerical

It’s pretty cool that somebody is advertising (and big $ advertising no less) electric vehicles.

I live in California and I have still never seen a Chevy Bolt commercial by Chevy. Their sales aren’t that high - yet they don’t advertise. They sell a ton of pickups and SUVs. Guess what? I have seen so many Chevy /GMC ads for their trucks and SUVs. Every day or two I see one of those.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I have come across any EV commercial aside from the generic one by Electrify America/VW that they had to do as part of the dieselgate settlement.

So, I’m excited for many more Americans to see a high profile EV ad tomorrow. Hopefully more will follow in the months and few years ahead.

Reactions: R.S and richrootes
Eh. That ad is a halo ad for Audi, nothing more. They just want to project the image of Audi being cutting edge. Also, the imagery of the ad is off. If the guy actually drove that electric vehicle towards the white light, he'd die. Hmmm.

Eh. That ad is a halo ad for Audi, nothing more. They just want to project the image of Audi being cutting edge.

I'm not sure the ad is designed to make people want an EV, quite the opposite I'm afraid (maybe that's what you were trying to get at). The ad equates owning an EV with being in an unrealistic dream (Grandpa is alive again) and as soon as he punches the accelerator to go fast he chokes on a cashew and is stuck in his cubicle at work. It instills a gag response with the very idea of owning an EV. The message is, don't dream of an EV, it's not reality and you might choke.

I'm not kidding, advertising is very sophisticated now and advertising experts are very aware of associations and how to best affect behavior. Then they tell you Audi EV's will still be in the minority 6 years from now (1/3 of Audi's will be electric by 2025) so you still have time to buy a nice new ICE Audi without being left behind. THEN you can get an EV.

Hmmm...these are good points!

Maybe you are correct and it's 'counter-advertising' of some sort, and perhaps I am naive but I think a lot of America (particularly away from the coasts) mostly don't even think about EVs and will still see this ad and think, "Audi is going to be making some cool electric cars". And maybe that will be the introduction that will have them start to even give EVs a second thought. Or maybe not.

[QUOTE="Also, the imagery of the ad is off. If the guy actually drove that electric vehicle towards the white light, he'd die. Hmmm.[/QUOTE]

I didn't put all of that together myself when i watched it the single time I did. But I guess that is a little "off".

If the guy actually drove that electric vehicle towards the white light, he'd die. Hmmm.

That's exactly what they want you to associate with an EV at this point in time. They are a dangerous path to take right now and you might die. Audi's EV's will not be profitable for a number of years. They just need to get their feet wet in the EV space and send the message that it's not time for an EV yet. Audi sales have already been gutted by Tesla and it's not about to stop but Audi will certainly try to slow it down.

When tobacco companies were forced to spend money on advertising the dangers of smoking and how youth shouldn't smoke, they did it in a very sly way that actually made smoking seem appealing to youngsters.

I'm not sure the ad is designed to make people want an EV, quite the opposite I'm afraid (maybe that's what you were trying to get at). The ad equates owning an EV with being in an unrealistic dream (Grandpa is alive again) and as soon as he punches the accelerator to go fast he chokes on a cashew and is stuck in his cubicle at work. It instills a gag response with the very idea of owning an EV. The message is, don't dream of an EV, it's not reality and you might choke.

I'm not kidding, advertising is very sophisticated now and advertising experts are very aware of associations and how to best affect behavior. Then they tell you Audi EV's will still be in the minority 6 years from now (1/3 of Audi's will be electric by 2025) so you still have time to buy a nice new ICE Audi without being left behind. THEN you can get an EV.

I agree 100%. Yes, that is what I was trying to say. You've deconstructed the ad much better and you're probably right, it is intentionally trying to get you to NOT buy an EV.

You would think that any EV commercial is a step forward but I think that Stealth is spot on that they are conveying that electric is (in) the future while (not so subtly) saying it's not time yet. I think they are like hoping for a don't look now (because basically only Tesla is available) but give us some time and we'll be there.... LOL

This thread is hilarious. They make an expensive Superbowl ad featuring an insanely cool looking EV, and instead of taking it as a sign that EVs are finally about to go mainstream it's, what, ... some kind of deep psychological manipulation to make EVs look bad? Come on. :rolleyes:
I think they are like hoping for a don't look now (because basically only Tesla is available) but give us some time and we'll be there.... LOL
Really?

scWDmkj.jpg

Reactions: SigNC
This thread is hilarious. They make an expensive Superbowl ad featuring an insanely cool looking EV, and instead of taking it as a sign that EVs are finally about to go mainstream it's, what, ... some kind of deep psychological manipulation to make EVs look bad? Come on. :rolleyes:
Really?

Yes, really. To me it's quite obvious. Does it make you want one? Not me, I don't like choking on cashews.

Obviously, you are the kind of person who thinks everything is as it appears on the surface.

I hear you, it's like they all have Audi derangement syndrome!

What's your background as it relates to psychology and advertising? Because if they are trying to sell Audi EV's, well:

It can't work because Audi has no EV offerings, only ICE.

Obviously, they are trying to get you to think EV's are not ready yet, time to buy another ICE car. No manufacturer in their right mind would try to get you to buy a car they plan to lose money on and that won't be available for three years (and will never be widely available). Look at the Jaguar iPace that began regular production in March of 2018. Do you know anyone who bought one?

I've never heard of "Audi derangement syndrome". I've always liked Audi and VW. But that ad doesn't make me want an Audi EV.

What's your background as it relates to psychology and advertising? Because if they are trying to sell Audi EV's, well:

It can't work because Audi has no EV offerings, only ICE.

Obviously, they are trying to get you to think EV's are not ready yet, time to buy another ICE car. No manufacturer in their right mind would try to get you to buy a car they plan to lose money on and that won't be available for three years (and will never be widely available). Look at the Jaguar iPace that began regular production in March of 2018. Do you know anyone who bought one?

I've never heard of "Audi derangement syndrome". I've always liked Audi and VW. But that ad doesn't make me want an Audi EV.

Just making a joke, I was refereeing to Audi being owned by the VW group who gets no love here or any other "Green" site for their terrible polluting diesels.

I will disagree with your assessment though and believe that because of "dieselgate" that the VW group is being forced into manufacturing (and selling) many BEV models and Audi is part of that group along with Porsche, when the day comes that they finally have several profitably BEV vehicles for sale (and one day they will) VW will be taking all the credit for their "Early adoption" of this clean new transportation alternative market they have created when in reality it will be the diesel gate scandal, the legal settlements plus public perception that forced their hand.

I just went back and watched the ad and while I have 0 background as it relates to psychology and advertising I am a consumer who probably watches to much TV and consider myself to have a good sense of humor if it may be a bit on the sarcastic side

My take on this ad is Audi is saying "get ready for the future because it's here" and they are trying to do it with a comical twist, the son was clearly enthralled with the car and was saddened to find that this was just a near death experience, haha, Audi says 1/3 of their vehicles will be electrified by 2025 and even push the BEV SUV coming out soon at the end so where is the anti sell? I don't get? maybe i'm just dense!

Last edited:
Just making a joke, I was refereeing to Audi being owned by the VW group who gets no love here or any other "Green" site for their terrible polluting diesels.

I will disagree with your assessment though and believe that because of "dieselgate" that the VW group is being forced into manufacturing (and selling) many BEV models and Audi is part of that group along with Porsche, when the day comes that they finally have several profitably BEV vehicles for sale (and one day they will) VW will be taking all the credit for their "Early adoption" of this clean new transportation alternative market they have created when in reality it will be the diesel gate scandal, the legal settlements plus public perception that forced their hand.

Just don't under-estimate how much time and money it will take them to get to a profitable EV. It's not as simple a matter as some assume to design and engineer a good EV that can compete with the likes of Tesla. A lot goes into the engineering that most people have no clue about. You know, it's just an electric motor and a big battery, what could be so tricky, right?:rolleyes:

Just don't under-estimate how much time and money it will take them to get to a profitable EV. It's not as simple a matter as some assume to design and engineer a good EV that can compete with the likes of Tesla. A lot goes into the engineering that most people have no clue about. You know, it's just an electric motor and a big battery, what could be so tricky, right?:rolleyes:

A few copy and paste things you may not have read.

By 2025, VW plans to be selling a million electrics a year. Over that span, the VW Group’s product plan calls for 50 battery-only vehicles and 30 hybrid-electric vehicles. By 2030, every model from every VW brand -- Audi, Bentley, Porsche, etc -- will have an electric variant. To get there, VW has earmarked 34 billion euros for electric car investment, including joint ventures in companies like Ionity to expand charging infrastructure around the world.

Volkswagen plans to spend up to 70 billion euros (~$84 billion USD) in order to bring 300 electric vehicle models to market by 2030 across all its brands.

The purpose-designed electric platform has been hard in development going on three years, according to MEB model line director Tino Fuhrmann. MEB’s overriding objective was class-above interior volume relative its footprint. Key design features include its long, wide battery array -- basically between the wheel wells and under the passenger floor, like the Chevy Bolt -- and its modular fundamentals. MEB can scaled by wheelbase, length and two track widths, adjusted by the length of the control arms, without significant re-engineering. While some MEB vehicles could ultimately use bits of carbon fiber, and all will liberally apply aluminum for the battery case and some body panels, the foundation is predominantly steel. Achieving crash standards is “business as usual” relative to conventional IC cars, Fuhrmann says.

The company announced plans to build 27 electric cars on its upcoming MEB affordable electric-car architecture by 2022 in an effort it calls "Electric for All."

Volkswagen Plans Massive Electric Car Offensive: 1 Million EVs By 2025

VW Just Ordered $48 Billion in Electric Car Batteries. That's About What Tesla Is Worth Right Now

VW is the 800 lb. Gorilla and it will not happen overnight but in the grand scheme of things if you look at the model S and how many years it has been available just look at how fast Tesla has grown now, in 6 years from now by 2025 I would be surprised if there was not a LOT of competition out there, I LOVE my model 3 and cannot see a viable replacement YET, I think all this competition is just what the EV market (and the planet) needs!

A few copy and paste things you may not have read.

By 2025, VW plans to be selling a million electrics a year. Over that span, the VW Group’s product plan calls for 50 battery-only vehicles and 30 hybrid-electric vehicles. By 2030, every model from every VW brand -- Audi, Bentley, Porsche, etc -- will have an electric variant. To get there, VW has earmarked 34 billion euros for electric car investment, including joint ventures in companies like Ionity to expand charging infrastructure around the world.

Volkswagen plans to spend up to 70 billion euros (~$84 billion USD) in order to bring 300 electric vehicle models to market by 2030 across all its brands.

The purpose-designed electric platform has been hard in development going on three years, according to MEB model line director Tino Fuhrmann. MEB’s overriding objective was class-above interior volume relative its footprint. Key design features include its long, wide battery array -- basically between the wheel wells and under the passenger floor, like the Chevy Bolt -- and its modular fundamentals. MEB can scaled by wheelbase, length and two track widths, adjusted by the length of the control arms, without significant re-engineering. While some MEB vehicles could ultimately use bits of carbon fiber, and all will liberally apply aluminum for the battery case and some body panels, the foundation is predominantly steel. Achieving crash standards is “business as usual” relative to conventional IC cars, Fuhrmann says.

The company announced plans to build 27 electric cars on its upcoming MEB affordable electric-car architecture by 2022 in an effort it calls "Electric for All."

Volkswagen Plans Massive Electric Car Offensive: 1 Million EVs By 2025

VW Just Ordered $48 Billion in Electric Car Batteries. That's About What Tesla Is Worth Right Now

VW is the 800 lb. Gorilla and it will not happen overnight but in the grand scheme of things if you look at the model S and how many years it has been available just look at how fast Tesla has grown now, in 6 years from now by 2025 I would be surprised if there was not a LOT of competition out there, I LOVE my model 3 and cannot see a viable replacement YET, I think all this competition is just what the EV market (and the planet) needs!

You are making my case for me. I hope they succeed spectacularly but your own post shows just how far they are from having marketable EV's in volume. The $48 billion battery order? That's a future, long-term purchase agreement subject to many qualifications and modifications. It's not $48 billion in batteries next year. Advertising is not for cars in 2025, advertising is not effective when used like that.

I want worthy competition too and that will come in time. But this Audi commercial is very transparent in that it's telling you NOT to buy an EV now.

You are making my case for me. I hope they succeed spectacularly but your own post shows just how far they are from having marketable EV's in volume. The $48 billion battery order? That's a future, long-term purchase agreement subject to many qualifications and modifications. It's not $48 billion in batteries next year. Advertising is not for cars in 2025, advertising is not effective when used like that.

I want worthy competition too and that will come in time. But this Audi commercial is very transparent in that it's telling you NOT to buy an EV now.
I guess I just don't see it that way, Audi e-tron | The first purely electric SUV from Audi | Audi USA, Tesla took orders for the model 3 on 3/31/16 I stood in line for 4 hours to put my deposit down then, I think we will be seeing a few vehicles in the next 2 to 3 years that are worthy, they need to get the word out now to drive demand, I mean they are not Tesla so they do have to advertise, maybe your timeline is shorter than what I am anticipating, I understand they are not ready today but 2 or 3 years goes by so fast these days for me at least, CRAP! i'll be 60 in less than 2 years, now i'm just depressed! to hell with it all!

• Funny
Reactions: CameronB
Seeing those companies using the word "electrified" completely turns me off. Especially when the company has just came out of the diesel cheat.
I get it, as one of the previous owners of a "clean diesel" I felt a little better about driving that car until the news came out, VW was punished financially for this but one of their punishments will likely give them an advantage in the EV space going forward, ironic isn't it?

Reactions: CarlK