Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At the Car Wash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supplies are discontinued as well (I still have the system too). I have been able to find some supplies on eBay in the US, but there are apparently restrictions on importing "chemicals" into Canada. There was a discount store near me that bought up a bunch of "remainders" the filters and soap, but they got cleaned out (pardon the pun) before I was able to get there and stock up.

For those that don't know, the big claim to fame was the special filter that created a perfectly contaminate free rinse, and the car would air dry to a perfect shine (no water spots) without any toweling off.

FWIW, all this was essentially a deionizing water filter that removed contaminants from tap water (removes all hardness) and therefore, prevented spots from forming when air drying. You could accomplish the same thing by washing your car normally and doing a final rinse with deionized (DI) water. Amazon has other products that do something similar as the old Mr. Clean system (albeit more expensive but the filter will last much longer since it's a lot bigger)

Spotless Water System

I just receivd a ton of products from chemical guys. I'm pretty impressed with their towels and mitts so far. I used to mess up my microfiber because I put it in the wash with detergent, but this time I got the microfiber cleaner. Small price to pay, but can't take the s to the car wash. I bought 2 of each below:

-CHENILLE MICROFIBER WASH MITT ELITE DELUXE SUPER PREMIUM SCRATCH FREE
-MIC_1995 WOOLLY MAMMOTH DRYER TOWEL 25 x 36 EXTREME FURRINESS Gray with Gray Silk Edges (1 Towel)
-MIC_801_03 POLISHING TOWELS - Edgeless NO-BUNCH MICROFIBER TOWELS 16 x16 (SUPER SALE 3 Pack)
-CWS_201 MicroFiber Rejuvenator Microfiber WASH Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (1 Gal)
-MIC_403 Chemical Guys Microfiber Wheel Wedge & Rim Detailer
-ACC_101 DETAILING BUCKET WITH GRIT GUARD AND EXTRAS! (NICE)
-MIC_1024_1 SUPER QUALITY MICRO-COTTON MICROFIBERS Ultra Plush Detailing Towels - 24" x 17" BUFFING MICROFIBER TOWEL (1pkg)

Plus 2 free shampoos

So, opinions on carwashing or not aside, my car needs a wash and my driveway isn't an option due to snow and freezing temps.

I decided to test the driver seatbelt trick to no avail. I also looked for Zextraterrestrial's tow mode, but don't see it... HELP!

Oh, and I am writing this from inside my Model S!

There are a number of "Touchless" washes in my neck of the woods where you drive in, put the car in Park and the mechanism moves around the stationary car. When done, you drive slowly out the other end where high speed blowers dry the car. They don't do a perfect job, but in the depths of winter, what choice do you have?

Well, that was interesting...

I went to the car wash yesterday, got there right before closing. I got the whole "What kind of car is that?!?! from the guy that started me up...And by the time I got through the wash, everyone that works at the place (with the exception of the female cashier) came out and crowded around the car to have a look at it. The two brothers that work there even got their dad (the owner) to come out and look at it...He said "Wow, I was just reading about this car!!! This is the first one we've had here! He seemed about as excited to see it and have it at his place as I was to get it delivered before New Years! They all asked tons of questions, and marveled at the styling of the car, the huge touch screen, and it being all electric. I swear, I bet they fuss over Lamborghini's less! It was quite an interesting experience...I've had people remark about the car and ask me questions, but never in a group like that.

Some things to note: I followed the instructions in the Owners Guide about putting the car in Neutral and keeping it there (Raising the car up, putting it in Jack mode, and then manually turning the car off on the touch screen)...But, as soon as I got out of the car, it popped back into Park. Hmmmm. So, they told me to stay in the car (which the normally don't let you do at this car wash) to keep it in Neutral...Which worked, but even still, about half-way through we hit a bump and the car slammed back into Park. They had to emergency-stop the wash and let me get it set back into Neutral...It was a little disconcerting, to say they least! But that was the only hiccup, we made it through fine after that.

One last note: While they were drying the car off, I popped the Frunk (I'm still having a hard time saying that with a straight face though, so I usually just say 'the hood,' or 'the bonnet'), and there was a fair amount of water around the flat edges of the storage area under the hood...I didn't seem to have dripped down into the storage area, but I was not thrilled to see that. FYI, this was not a "Brushless" car wash, but it's the only car wash anywhere near here...And we survived ;)

Great story. I had a similar experience with my car at the wash, but I had them hand wash the car instead of putting it through the wash. So there is no way for the car to remain in neutral without the driver being in the seat?

Also, which type of wheels do you have? I have the the 21s and I'm worried that they may get scratched by the track that the wheels go in.

There must be/should be, but it didn't work for me...I'm going to try it again at home and see what happens. I also have the 21s, and I was concerned, but the car was covered with road debris, and salt/grip for the snow we had last weekend, so I really needed to get a quick, clean wash on it, and didn't have time to schedule a hand wash detail. It was dark when I got home, but I'll check the rims today and see if there was any scuffing.

Great story. I had a similar experience with my car at the wash, but I had them hand wash the car instead of putting it through the wash. So there is no way for the car to remain in neutral without the driver being in the seat?

Also, which type of wheels do you have? I have the the 21s and I'm worried that they may get scratched by the track that the wheels go in.

I know that Daedalus ran his through a wash here, and had wheel damage on his 21's when he was finished from the rail. I highly suggest that you do NOT allow your car to go through an automatic wash!!

He's lucky he didn't get tire damage as well. Car wash rails are not kind to tires.

I took mine through the "hand wash". Inspected the track and it was new and smooth. Left the car on (wipers off). Put it in neutral and let it pull me through while steering about 1/2" right to keep the 21's from rubbing on the outside. Enjoyed the ride and didn't wiggle around in the seat:wink:. Then drove over to the wipe down area and told him to keep the front door open a little so it wouldn't lock. Only then could I leave my baby and pay up. Tesla needs a a car wash mode that lets the car stay in the gear it was left in. Leaves it on with out the key fob present and doesn't lockup or retract door handles. It could automatically exit this mode after driving a preset distance.