Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking Elon Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I'll bite. One question only:

"Have you good economic reasons, or jingoistic ones only, for your public statements of desiring to wean the United States off imported oil?"

Now, in the interest of full disclosure: yes, this is a loaded-with-dynamite question. I am far more interested in HOW Mr Musk answers this than in what his answer is. Additionally, although I may now spend my time as a high-tundra toilet scrubber and caribou hunter, I DO have a PhD in resource economics, and there are those who think I'm craftier than your average grizzly bear......

I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on new forms of power generation, e.g. fusion (a la National Ignition Facility). Feasibility, challenges. (In the back of my mind: is that industry missing someone (like him) to take it to the next level?)
If we can crack that nut, boy that'd be a game changer in so many ways -- including technologies not possible without ridiculous amounts of power.

I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on new forms of power generation, e.g. fusion (a la National Ignition Facility). Feasibility, challenges. (In the back of my mind: is that industry missing someone (like him) to take it to the next level?)
If we can crack that nut, boy that'd be a game changer in so many ways -- including technologies not possible without ridiculous amounts of power.

Or just crack batteries and then all of a sudden renewables become much, much easier.

Here Here!

Aaron

Yes but what about those that we own - is tesla just gonna swap out our old one and give us a new one more than 10 years after we buy the car?

I especially would like to ask if Tesla is going to give data to Chiltons to publish repair procedures.

I don't have the details on this, but in Europe it used to be the case that only Ford dealers could services Fords. A couple of years ago - I think it was a EU-wide requirement - car manufacturers had to publish maintenance data so that no-brand dealers and service stations could service every brand of car.

I believe the only way out was not selling cars in Europe.

Yes but what about those that we own - is tesla just gonna swap out our old one and give us a new one more than 10 years after we buy the car?

If you buy the new one. ;) It's been happening for years with hybrid NiMH battery packs. When you get a failure and replace the pack you get a new one and the old one is added to a pile. When they have enough, the batteries are picked up and taken to a processor/recycler. Toyota reportedly paid $100 per Prius pack to encourage recycling. Then there are other companies that buy up salvage packs and re-use the good cells.

As long as the recycling is profitable they can subsidize the purchase or offset the replacement cost. With PEV batteries there's also likely some additional value in grid storage (which is a significant part of Tesla's plan) before they are finally recycled.

IMHO questions from us Tesla enthusiasts to Elon should be thought provoking

1. Through previous interview it has become apparent that you are not involved in TSLA, SpaceX and SCTY to make a money - it seems you are on a mission. To what extend do you ascribe the success of these companies to your "missionary" leadership / guidance?
2. Although the path to Gen-3 will surely be littered with technical, financial and political issues the consideration that "success is a viable option" now seems like a huge understatement. Without detracting focus from the X and Gen-3 shouldn't TSLA start looking beyond Gen-3 (and what do you see there)?
3. Over that last 100 years EV's have slowly evolved from lead to NiCd to Li+. What do you think the odds are of a revolution (supercaps, new chemistry, etc.) within the next 5 years are?
4. In 5-10 years time your list of successful start-ups will be such that you can embark on any new venture with the certainty of $1-10B in start-up capital. Have you spent any thoughts at all on where you will go next?

Does it concern you that every time you announce an announcement, people on Tesla Motors Club inevitably go crazy with their speculation which is then picked up by the automotive press, making it very hard for any announcement to be perceived as anything but a damp squib?

1. Through previous interview it has become apparent that you are not involved in TSLA, SpaceX and SCTY to make a money - it seems you are on a mission. To what extend do you ascribe the success of these companies to your "missionary" leadership / guidance?
I can't remember which interview but he went on for a few minutes describing exactly this.

1. What do you see as the most potentially disruptive technologies for the automotive and/or space industries in the next decade or so?
2. Carbon fiber is being used more and more in aerospace (Boeing 787, etc) - do you see a time when significant structural parts of Teslas might be made of carbon fiber? The weight savings (and independence from aluminum costs) would seem to make this attractive if production costs can be reduced.
3. A lot of folks I know would love to have a dash-cam installed, but are leery of taking the rear-view mirror apart to do so. Might this be something we could pay the service center to do?
4. What's the main pacing item for the Gen III (gotta think of a better name) - is it technological, or related to the scaling of manufacturing ability? Everyone I give rides to in my "S" loves it, but they'd like to have a smaller, less expensive version. When that is available, Tesla sales will go through the roof.

Anyone knows what individuals are the organizers for teslive? I am late to the registration and like to contact them directly. I can certainly contribute to the event.

I asked Elon The infamous question in the shareholder meeting. You can bet that I will ask more interesting things there. Help me to get in!