Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As of 02/18/2017 Hartford Auto Insurance not allowing Any Model Tesla be written as new business or

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
added to an existing policy in these states:

CT, FL, KY, MD, ME, OH, TX, WV

Any current policy with The Hartford that has a Tesla will not be affected, however if you want to add a new Tesla (any model) to your policy it will no longer be allowed as per The Hartford.

My reaction to this is other insurance companies will follow, I do not mean ALL of them will follow but in my experience when one does something a few others follow suit. The Hartford imo is on the upper echelon of quality insurers, but still a for profit company at the end of the day and it's a shame to see this.

Souce: I have an insurance agency in Florida and we received this reminder of a bulletin posted on their agent portal back in 02/18.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Plug Life

Any current policy with The Hartford that has a Tesla will not be affected, however if you want to add a new Tesla (any model) to your policy it will no longer be allowed as per The Hartford.

My reaction to this is other insurance companies will follow, I do not mean ALL of them will follow but in my experience when one does something a few others follow suit. The Hartford imo is on the upper echelon of quality insurers, but still a for profit company at the end of the day and it's a shame to see this.

Souce: I have an insurance agency in Florida and we received this reminder of a bulletin posted on their agent portal back in 02/18.

Here it goes!
And another push for Tesla to start their own in-house insurance program -- hopefully better administered than their current level of service. ;)

Reactions: Ulmo
I do not understand why Hartford would do that. Why turn down business?
could it be because of the high costs of repair of the car makes it unprofitable to insure? as long as tesla maintains it's strangle hold on replacement parts and requires certified shops to do the work costs will remain absurdly high. I think that you'll be seeing more issues like this in the future.

• Funny
Reactions: ev-now and M0DEL³
could it be because of the high costs of repair of the car makes it unprofitable to insure? as long as tesla maintains it's strangle hold on replacement parts and requires certified shops to do the work costs will remain absurdly high. I think that you'll be seeing more issues like this in the future.

If that's the case why not just raise prices?

To the OP:

As an insurance agency owner, have you any insight as to why The Hartford stopped coverage in just those eight states but not in others?

This doesn't make any sense, an Insurance companies job is to assess risk and then charge accordingly. If Tesla's are more accident prone or more expensive to repair, they should be more expensive to insure. Just refusing to insure them is very odd.

Unsurprising to me. Tesla is going to have to put the screws to ther authorized body shops to stop inflating claims, and stop offloading what should be simple mechanical work handled by the SvC itself to those same problematic body shops, or this will just get worse.

Look at the recent thread where a simple replacement of a ball joint and control arm that the SvC clearly could and should have of-thousands-of-dollars job at a body shop and see where we're headed. Insurers don't want the ridculous variance in their expected payout that's caused by this nonsense; when the variance gets too high, they can't effectively price the risk and will just exclude the vehicles. Welcome to the world of the Pontiac Fiero...

I am sure the Hartford was probably losing money on insuring Tesla's or they would not stop insuring them. With the absurd prices of repairs either costs to insure Tesla's will go up or companies will refuse to insure them. When you see threads like this its very easy to understand their point of view and as a business owner if I am loosing money on a particular product it would only make smart business sense to stop selling it.

Holy crap, repairs are insanely expensive, beware!!

Reactions: M0DEL³
Unsurprising to me. Tesla is going to have to put the screws to ther authorized body shops to stop inflating claims, and stop offloading what should be simple mechanical work handled by the SvC itself to those same problematic body shops, or this will just get worse.

Look at the recent thread where a simple replacement of a ball joint and control arm that the SvC clearly could and should have of-thousands-of-dollars job at a body shop and see where we're headed. Insurers don't want the ridculous variance in their expected payout that's caused by this nonsense; when the variance gets too high, they can't effectively price the risk and will just exclude the vehicles. Welcome to the world of the Pontiac Fiero...

I had a Fiero! Loved it - second only to my Model S....

I am surprised this is just now being brought up. I had the worst time trying to find insurance for my X. I had to pretty much beg Nationwide to insure mine and that was only after I told them it was under $100K. Because of the high cost of repairs a lot more companies are not insuring them. Progressive and Geico are the worst. Farmers and State Farmer will pretty equal in price.

I am surprised this is just now being brought up. I had the worst time trying to find insurance for my X. I had to pretty much beg Nationwide to insure mine and that was only after I told them it was under $100K. Because of the high cost of repairs a lot more companies are not insuring them. Progressive and Geico are the worst. Farmers and State Farmer will pretty equal in price.

There are many threads on TMC with posters having good luck getting deals on insurance by shopping around. Here is one:
Insurance On Model S?

For me, Progressive's rate on a P90 Model S was just slightly higher than the rate I was paying my old insurer on an Audi Q5 with 100,000 miles. I was pretty surprised.

Have no idea what Hartford's issue is but interesting that it seems to be geographically limited.