Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Registration Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just receive the renewal notice (P85).

Fees for a 1 year renewal are:
Veh License Tax $35.77
Registration $8.25
Special Plate $25.00
Total $69.02

Fees for a 2 year renewal are:
Veh License Tax $66.17
Registration $8.25
Special Plate $50.00
Total $124.42

Fees for a 5 year renewal are:
Veh License Tax $132.65
Registration $8.25
Special Plate $125.00
Total $265.90

Last edited:
My local DMV insists that they cannot allow my Veteran's plate on my Model S because it is an "electric vehicle and or alternative fuel" stating that I must use the alternative fuel plate. I do not believe that to be correct. The vehicle is eligible for reduced license tax based on the vehicle's qualification in and of itself being Electric. I could not find any literature supporting the fact that you had to use the alternative fuel plate on the vehicle in order for the vehicle license tax to be reduced. Currently sitting in the DMV waiting for resolution they are trying to get supervisors online so someone can decide what is going to have to happen never before have I seen such a mess but leave it to Arizona

It should be noted that I'm prepared to pay the full license tax if that is the case but they won't even allow that!! stating that the veteran plate cannot be used on an alternative fuel vehicle.??

Anyone else run in to this?

I'm not in your state, but I've had problems like that, and I just went back and talked to someone else (not mentioning that previous incident) and they did what I wanted. Might want to try that, since you're willing to spend more, maybe you're willing to waste a little time trying again with someone else.

I'm not in your state, but I've had problems like that, and I just went back and talked to someone else (not mentioning that previous incident) and they did what I wanted. Might want to try that, since you're willing to spend more, maybe you're willing to waste a little time trying again with someone else.

I may have to lol. At this rate the office will close before they get it sorted out. "Still waiting"

Hi

I am moving to AZ for work. I have Model 3 SR+. I understand that registration for EV is pretty low here. But by any chance, does anyone know if AZ charges for tax difference as well while registering out of state vehicle?

Some states like CA charges for difference in tax if car is less than an year old. For example- m if someone from Oregon moves to CA and has a car that is less than an year old, he/she would have to pay diff in tax while registration which is ~ 10% (OR has 0% sales tax, CA has 10% sales tax)

Is something similar in AZ as well?

I just registered my Jun 2019 Model 3 here in AZ (Nov 2019), formerly registered in MN when purchased new. 5 yr EV registration was about $100. They did not ask about former sales tax paid in the previous state.

you also got lucky you didn't have to pay public safety fee that was repealed. I paid about $250 last year.

What's MN sales tax rate?