Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering from Existing Inventory From Another State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. With the FSD transfer news I am excited and wanting to upgrade my Model Y Performance with HW3 to a Model X or MXP with HW4. I have been looking at the existing inventory options in my personal registration zip code and am a bit disappointed by the offerings. I have scoured the internets and found deals in other zip codes that are interesting.

What is the process of going to another state - let's say California, Georgia, or Arizona and then driving the car back to where I am in Texas? Do I have to pay tax in both states (thereby totally negating any benefits) or just registration in both places? I remember in Texas that we register AFTER receiving the title information in the mail by taking it to the DMV to pay sales tax and registration while getting permanent plates. Is this how it works in other states as well?

Any help on if this has been done in the past and/or how to do it would be helpful.

THANKS!

Hello everyone. With the FSD transfer news I am excited and wanting to upgrade my Model Y Performance with HW3 to a Model X or MXP with HW4. I have been looking at the existing inventory options in my personal registration zip code and am a bit disappointed by the offerings. I have scoured the internets and found deals in other zip codes that are interesting.

What is the process of going to another state - let's say California, Georgia, or Arizona and then driving the car back to where I am in Texas? Do I have to pay tax in both states (thereby totally negating any benefits) or just registration in both places? I remember in Texas that we register AFTER receiving the title information in the mail by taking it to the DMV to pay sales tax and registration while getting permanent plates. Is this how it works in other states as well?

Any help on if this has been done in the past and/or how to do it would be helpful.

THANKS!
You will have to look at your state for what needs to be done with taxes and title.
I believe that Tesla will transport the car as well.

I'm sure you've figured your situation out by now, would love to hear what happened for you.
I bought my 2018 model 3 in Ohio, got temp/paper plates at the DMV, no charge, then drove home to Dallas, registered at DMV here, paid taxes, got plates, sticker, etc.

I'm sure you've figured your situation out by now, would love to hear what happened for you.
I bought my 2018 model 3 in Ohio, got temp/paper plates at the DMV, no charge, then drove home to Dallas, registered at DMV here, paid taxes, got plates, sticker, etc.
Nice. I ended up finding an inventory car in Dallas. I'm registering in Houston so it worked out ok for me. Inventory cars go quick so I just found one that worked for me locally and went with it!

Reactions: GSP