Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shorting Tesla seems so untenable. If you think Tesla is going to fold soon, it makes no sense because with their capitalization it would take at least a couple of years. If you think they will fail in a couple of years, you have margin interest and cost until then on your play. I just don't get it.

From reading all of the anti-TSLA articles and blog posts, the short folks don't necessarily think Tesla will fold in the next few years, just that the demand for higher end EV cars wont be there after us first 10,000 buyers pony up the $60-100K for our cars. The Prius probably didn't make financial sense for 90% of the million or so folks who bought one, a Yaris or Corolla would have saved more money, but people want to a) feel like they are helping the environment, b) make a statement to the friends/family/customers/etc c) set an example for their kids d) stick it to OPEC/help our country stop being so dependent on oil...

I see waaaaaaay too many new E550's, 550i's, A6's, LS460's, Panamerra's etc running around SoCal, so I know there are are still many financially stable folks just in my part of the state to keep Tesla busy making the Model S for a very long time. Once these buyers realize they can save thousands a year on fuel, never need to stop at a gas station, can access our states HOV lanes, start the day with a full tank of gas, etc, I think Tesla's waiting list will stay pretty long. Without a single cent spent on advertising (aside from stores in nice malls), Tesla will have sold out for the first 12 months of production before the first car has even rolled off the assembly line, and we're not talking about a limited production of 500 Ferarri's, but 10-15,000 cars! What's going to happen when each of us 10,000 buyers shows the cars off to 50 of our neighbors, coworkers, family and friends? Tens of thousands of more sales. Finally, having seen what a great management team and facility Tesla has Fremont, I think the X and their upcoming $30K car will be just as popular, if not more. I trust Elon when he says they can make 25% margin on these cars, which Wall Street will absolutely love.

Tesla isn't trying to be company that pumps out 500,000 cars, heck, with the 40-60K they might be making three years from now, that won't even put them in the top 50 of manufacturers according to this document: http://oica.net/wp-content/uploads/ranking-2010.pdf, but I think the growth and profitability will keep this stock soaring for a long time.

I'm long on TSLA, and my only worries are that a global economy meltdown takes down the whole market, or that some supplier related glitch delays things, but going back to Tesla's management team, I think they are sharp enough to have planned accordingly, or can find a workaround if need be.

Another up day for TSLA. Yay!

Here's a horrible video of the "Fool's" take of recent events and their ramifications at Tesla. Their interpretation of Nick Sampson's departure and role at Tesla couldn't have been much more off-base; completely ignoring the much more important Rawlinson and giving Sampson more responsibility than he arguably had. George's continuous mispronunciation of a simple word like chassis was especially galling. It's pronounced chas-see Lyons, not chas-siss. Maybe it's a regional thing. My parents like to put an 'R' in Washington for some reason.

Motley Fool, February 6, 2012: "Wait on Tesla Motors"

Tesla has been in a serious uptrend since the flash crash. Days like this definitely make me feel better. So close to being back in the Green. Very glad I averaged down after the crash. Sadly the majority of my position came from before the MS downgrade. My gut is telling me that this is going to be an interesting week :)

Seems like Motley Fool hold a little grudge for Tesla.

19:58 Uhr
Wait on Tesla Motors (EN, MotleyFool)
Will Range Anxiety Run Tesla Off the Road? (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla May Be Headed for the Junkyard (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors: We're On Track (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors' Big Crisis: Overblown? (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors Shares Roared Back: What You Need to Know (EN, MotleyFool)
A Sudden Crisis for Tesla Motors (EN, MotleyFool)
Did Ford Just Crush Tesla Motors? (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors Shares Crashed: What You Need to Know (EN, MotleyFool)
What Tesla Motors Needs in 2012 (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors' Year of Anticipation (EN, MotleyFool)
Why I'm Not Buying Tesla Motors (EN, MotleyFool)
Did Tesla Motors Hit a Wall? (EN, MotleyFool)
Tesla Motors Shares Got Crushed: What You Need to Know (EN, MotleyFool)

For those who think Fisker is competition for Tesla then any Fisker problems should boost Tesla. I'm just troubled by the Fisker issues giving real EV's another black eye in the eyes of the public, just as the Volt has done. I can hear the "government loans for failed luxury EV's" comments coming.

I agree with the view that TSLA will be tarred with the Fisker brush until Tesla proves that it can deliver stable vehicles, on time and on budget. This may create another buying opportunity for those who see the sharp differences between the Tesla and Fisker business execution capability.

I have strong doubts about it having an effect. The information was released close to 1pm today, giving investors plenty of time to take it in. The stock dropped half a percent during this time , but recovered into the end. The .5% drop could have simply been because of the bid ask spread.

Seems like Motley Fool hold a little grudge for Tesla.

Well, Motley Fool is literally a motley collection of people. Pretty much anyone can write a story for them. The videos are only from some of their analysts.

What's funny is that TSLA is a Motley Fool "Rule Breakers" selection. However, analysts from other MF discussion boards (such as Ford or Westport) seem to enjoy coming to the TSLA board to denigrate the company.

But, you know the old saying about Stock Analysts, don't you? It goes like this:
Those who can - Do.
Those who can't do - Teach.
Those who can't teach - Analyze.

I personally think these folks sitting in Alexandria have never seen a Tesla, much less driven one, much less have been in the Fremont factory. They believe the FUD being spread by oil, natural gas, and the major automotive companies and think that Tesla is just another Tucker. I'm sure many of these same analysts thought 2 years ago that the iPad was just a large iPod Touch and so would fail in the market.

I have strong doubts about it having an effect. The information was released close to 1pm today, giving investors plenty of time to take it in. The stock dropped half a percent during this time , but recovered into the end. The .5% drop could have simply been because of the bid ask spread.

Well as of 10:15 am EST the market says ... down 3%. My guess is the Model X reveal will work in the other direction :)