Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Tesla sales people allowed to just completely lie to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chrysler did something like that back in the late 1980s or early 1990s but it actually covered the entire model year. They called it a "Guaranteed Rebate." If after purchasing a car, the rebate increased during the model year they buyer would get a check for the difference. For example, if someone bought when the rebate was $1,500 and it went up to $2,000, they would get a check for the additional $500.
Rivian honored old prices when they raised the msrp because buyers were so pissed.
(Tesla does this as a matter of course)
There is something to be said about business practices towards customers. I'm over this thread, because it's just going to work me up thinking about it. 😄

Yup. Be a smart consumer. Buy now if you need it. If you can wait a few months, time is on your side.

Frankly, Tesla isn’t in the worst spot. At least they’ve scaled. Companies like Lucid or Rivian need cash (which is expensive) and need to scale to stay alive (grow or die). And they’re facing the same demand cooling unless they target the very high end consumer who doesn’t care about price fluctuations or also strip down their cars to save money.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, you will find much more information about the cars and what the future holds from the internet and sites like this than you will from Tesla salespeople. But if you quote them anything that you find, they will say don’t trust the internet. I don’t think that they necessarily lie, but they only know what they have been told and the ones I’ve met don’t have much curiosity to find out anymore

In my limited experience, you will find much more information about the cars and what the future holds from the internet and sites like this than you will from Tesla salespeople. But if you quote them anything that you find, they will say don’t trust the internet. I don’t think that they necessarily lie, but they only know what they have been told and the ones I’ve met don’t have much curiosity to find out anymore
There's plenty of bunk info and know-it-alls on forums. I've had just as many good interactions with service people with products I buy. Remains to be seen with Tesla....so far with pricing...not great. LOL

Forums are good for technical info, imo... and chat. :)

Reactions: Mike7564
I'm a bit worried about the predictions that the car market will go upside down like real estate did in 2008. Add to this the growing competition for Tesla, old Elon will have to drop prices, and possibly listen to customers more. He got my money this year because of pent up enthusiasm, and for the longest time, my assumption that prices would keep going up. Oh well. 🤔
Yah, for sure. The good thing, unlike real estate, we're not million dollars in and we can take an L even if the cost is cut in half. I was in the same boat. Long ass delivery date, super excited to get it and ran to a bunch of issues during the haphazard delivery, now missing the boat on all the incentives + value of the car that we likely have bought at the peak is tanking, lol.

Like I said on another thread, I am trying to stay positive because I'm not trying to have an aneurism over this and pretending that the money is lost is my way of giving back to the economy, haha (sad laughter, in the corner)

Yeah the discount isn't necessarily to make you the buyer happy, more so it's for pushing cars out to boost Q4 numbers. You could always just let go of the 250, place another order for a ready to buy off Tesla's Website and accept the $7500 but you have to receive it before the end of the year. Again it's not about making you happy it's all about the numbers. They are trying to move cars ASAP.

Yeah the discount isn't necessarily to make you the buyer happy, more so it's for pushing cars out to boost Q4 numbers. You could always just let go of the 250, place another order for a ready to buy off Tesla's Website and accept the $7500 but you have to receive it before the end of the year. Again it's not about making you happy it's all about the numbers. They are trying to move cars ASAP.
Me no happy...Me SMASH!

About 2 weeks ago I received a message that the Model Y that we had placed the order for in March was ready for delivery. I called our sales contact we placed the order with, and told him we wanted to do a pick up at the end of December, because we did not need the car right away and I wanted to see what other incentives were coming. He said that if I don't pick up in the next 3 days, then I would lose the car completely, and I would have to wait until the following year to get a car, without the 3750 incentive. I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?
They don't tell their guys ANYTHING. Remember, he fired his whole press department. I don't think anyone knows WTF is going on there

I’ll pose a question to you.

Let’s say Person A orders a car on 12/18. Person B orders a car on 12/19.

Person A receives car on 12/20 and notifies Tesla at minute 1 of ownership that it was delivered with a busted wheel, or door, or whatever. Tesla says “bring to service, no worries. We’ll fix it.“

Person B receives car 12/21, the same day a $5k discount is offered. The car is perfect.

Person A gets car back from service on 12/21 and the car is now perfect. They had their car in the same condition for the same amount of time as Person B but paid $5k more for the same car.

Fair?
As Jimmu Carter said....Life is Unfair

Reactions: Dennisis
Rivian honored old prices when they raised the msrp because buyers were so pissed.
(Tesla does this as a matter of course)
There is something to be said about business practices towards customers. I'm over this thread, because it's just going to work me up thinking about it. 😄
Actually a Bad example. Rivian Raised prices on existing orders only to back pedal the decision with thousands of cancellations. Not the same as offering a year end promotion.

Reactions: laservet
I would think that in most companies that any big announcement, like a large discount, would probably be kept a secret until it’s launch....otherwise it would be hard for sales staff to be motivated to sell before the announcement. Anyhow, Tesla salespeople aren’t really salespeople...they are there to assist if you don’t want to buy online and take you for the test drive...in my case they advised me to buy the M3 RWD without FSD when I insisted that I want the LR with FSD

Reactions: buckets0fun
this is what I found in their terms.
The arbitrator may only resolve disputes between you and Tesla, and may not consolidate claims without the consent of all parties. The arbitrator
cannot hear class or representative claims or requests for relief on behalf of others purchasing or leasing Tesla vehicles. In other words, you and Tesla
may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action. If a
court or arbitrator decides that any part of this agreement to arbitrate cannot be enforced as to a particular claim for relief or remedy, then that claim
or remedy (and only that claim or remedy) must be brought in court and any other claims must be arbitrated

time for a class action lawsuit - i know elon could care Less.

What would be the reason/claim?

If you are talking about increased discounts, manufacturers and retailers are free to raise and lower prices. As long as Tesla is honoring the current offer (Take delivery of a new Model 3 or Model Y between December 21 and 31, 2022 for a $7,500 credit and 10,000 miles of free Supercharging), I don't see what class action damages could be claimed.

Tesla has discounted/lowered prices many times before. For example, the base price of a new Model S in 2020 went from $79,990 at the beginning of the year to $69,420 by the fourth quarter. In fact, Tesla/Musk lowered the price twice in less than a week. These price reductions were comparable to giving a discount or rebate.

A. Are you unfamiliar with car salesmen? They invented lying about the products that they sell.
B. Tesla doesn’t have salesmen they just have people who help you place your orders on the website; something BTW you can do all by yourself
C. You agreed to buy a vehicle way back in March without any sales rebate or supercharger miles, if you don’t like the incredible fortune that you’ve received in lucking into a $3,750 discount that you were neither promised nor deserve; then let your reservation go and get something else
D. Who told you there is a $7,500 discount coming anyway?
I wasn’t laughing until I read D.

Lol, what is your claim/damages? How did Tesla fail to honor your purchase agreement?

DerpityDerp.

Per request below to only refer to how sales advisors can lie to you…. They certainly do engage in “sales tactics with non-disclosure of differences between test driven cars and purchased cars”

———
Other examples in response to the specific. question above:
Selling you a car with package upgrades that are currently non-functional features? Saying the delivery fee is non-refundable so they can arrange logistics of your order by then delivering a vehicle missing some features?

…presumably these aren’t acceptable business practices to most.

Last edited: