Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Tesla sales people allowed to just completely lie to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you name another vehicle manufacturer with a similar pricing policy?

Changing a vehicle purchase/lease/financing contract after the fact isn’t like refunding someone’s credit card $20 because the TV they just bought went on sale.
I think the problem with Tesla vs. other auto manu and how things are priced is the transparency. There's good and bad of having full direct/control of the selling price.

When buying from a regular dealership, we all know what the suggested MSRP is but we sure as hell try to haggle, get freebies, dealership stuff, etc. With Tesla is not like that, price is transparent, black/white and posted on their own website, in the configurator and when you put your deposit, it's locked in. The Sales Advisor are not even really salespeople, they are more information/help desk than your standard car salesmen. The nice thing about doing it the Tesla way, it removes the uncertainty from dealing with a middle man (dealership) and trying to get the best deal possible. By Tesla introducing these very nice discounts to a limited amount of folks and advertising it front and center on their website, it makes it a bit harder to swallow for folks that are near that time frame. Basically reintroduces the uncertainty that they took out by removing the wheeling and dealing sales folks, lol.

I get it, lots of uncertainty, , supply and demand, nothing is guaranteed, etc, etc. but we all know Tesla's EDD is a joke. For folks to have to deal with the back/forth, pick up their car, send it back to the shop vs. rejecting because Tesla suggest that consumer accept delivery and then open a ticket only to see all these deals go by, feels kind of whack.

Reactions: ord3r
...I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?
You were ahead of me to anticipate growing incentives. I was peeved because my original delivery date was Dec. 15, but they kept texting me saying the car was in and I could move up the delivery date. So I did, and missed the free supercharger miles. I finally got over it, and now it's clear these things can change from day to day. But it does seem like a mean thing to do to customers who waited so long to finally take delivery in the crazy month. Geez. But good for people getting their cars now. Tomorrow, who knows.

This is a solved problem, Tesla should just have a 30 day price match period. Addresses pretty much every scenario.

With random price drops that have no match window, it upsets people and makes future informed buyers reluctant to pull the trigger.
This. If Tesla did this simple thing, I would 100% be happy they thought about their customers.

I'm pretty furious just thinking about this scenario and we just have to chalk it up to losing a lot of goodwill towards Tesla
But, nothing to do but go on with life.

Thinking there's just a bunch of stuff happening and it's not looking good for Tesla as a brand
  • Economy taking a dump
  • Uncertainty of 2023
  • Sensor/Camera/Radar
  • Values of cars in general
  • Tesla lowballing the value of cars that was purchased just a few months ago at what is likely going to be the highest cost for the same car
  • Tesla shortage = surplus now
  • Tesla sales advisors are as clueless as us so no real process to handle CS issues
  • Musk doing Musk things

About 2 weeks ago I received a message that the Model Y that we had placed the order for in March was ready for delivery. I called our sales contact we placed the order with, and told him we wanted to do a pick up at the end of December, because we did not need the car right away and I wanted to see what other incentives were coming. He said that if I don't pick up in the next 3 days, then I would lose the car completely, and I would have to wait until the following year to get a car, without the 3750 incentive. I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?

How would have of known and would it have changed anything? You either needed to pick the car up then or wait a year.

This. If Tesla did this simple thing, I would 100% be happy they thought about their customers.
The problem is exactly the same whether the price guarantee is 5 days, 30 days, or 180 days. There will always be someone who took delivery at day N+1 that's gonna be sore about it. Not much can be done to fix that.

I’ll pose a question to you.

Let’s say Person A orders a car on 12/18. Person B orders a car on 12/19.

Person A receives car on 12/20 and notifies Tesla at minute 1 of ownership that it was delivered with a busted wheel, or door, or whatever. Tesla says “bring to service, no worries. We’ll fix it.“

Person B receives car 12/21, the same day a $5k discount is offered. The car is perfect.

Person A gets car back from service on 12/21 and the car is now perfect. They had their car in the same condition for the same amount of time as Person B but paid $5k more for the same car.

Fair?
I refused a delivery on 12/18 due to paint imperfections. They wanted to replace the bumper. I refused delivery and told them to find me a new car. Pushed delivery to after xmas just in case. Person A probably should have thoroughly looked over the car before taking delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
I refused a delivery on 12/18 due to paint imperfections. They wanted to replace the bumper. I refused delivery and told them to find me a new car. Pushed delivery to after xmas just in case. Person A probably should have thoroughly looked over the car before taking delivery.
I don't know about that. Instead of creating a better policy, you can't just put the blame on the customers all the time. It's all about good faith until dotted lines are signed. In this case, we did sign it but good faith wasn't there.

We're all going in circles anyways. There are going to be 2 sides to everything and both are valid but I don't think you can simply say one side is right and the other is wrong.

Tesla is a "Todays Price" Company. They price you pay will be what they are offering at the moment you agree to configure and purchase. If they come out with a promotion later, that promotion will come with it's own specific parameters. You cannot get yesterdays pricing, or tomorrows pricing. It becomes fixed at the moment you order. If Tesla wishes to make their price decreases retroactive, then they will do that, but are under no obligation. Same with configurations. You will get the technology and hardware available at the moment your car comes down the line. You will take delivery of the car you ordered when it gets cleared by the Delivery Center. Incentives come and go. Something they said long ago may be supersceded by something they are saying later.

The problem is exactly the same whether the price guarantee is 5 days, 30 days, or 180 days. There will always be someone who took delivery at day N+1 that's gonna be sore about it. Not much can be done to fix that.
it's not about making every single buyer happy.
Many stores will price match sales within a short window. It's about recognizing and keeping customer loyalty.

Yeah and like I said, i'm moving on.

Tesla is a "Todays Price" Company. They price you pay will be what they are offering at the moment you agree to configure and purchase. If they come out with a promotion later, that promotion will come with it's own specific parameters. You cannot get yesterdays pricing, or tomorrows pricing. It becomes fixed at the moment you order. If Tesla wishes to make their price decreases retroactive, then they will do that, but are under no obligation. Same with configurations. You will get the technology and hardware available at the moment your car comes down the line. You will take delivery of the car you ordered when it gets cleared by the Delivery Center. Incentives come and go. Something they said long ago may be supersceded by something they are saying later.
I do get this, I think the gotcha is what you agree/configure/custom order, the EDD is not accurate and there are changes between that moment and when you potentially get delivery. Since there's no set date until you get a VIN.

It's all chance if anything since no one really know versus today's price and configuration.

I ordered a 7 seater October 2021 and got the car June 2022. Saved about $8k from current pricing and have USS. So I’m not complaining about missing out.
Maybe you should all blame yourselves for buying when the price is at its height and are relying on incentives.
I’m kidding of course.

Reactions: Yelobird
Hah. Feel for you. Sorry though, unfortunately can’t expect a sales person (aka SA) to be honest or have information about company strategy. They’re incentivized to match VIN to people and close out orders.

Just to demonstrate the fact they aren’t transparent, have you heard anyone report that a SA upfront notified a person on a test drive in Nov-Dec that the car they were trying out (aka 2022, with USS, EAP, etc) would not be the same car they would receive? This was information they actually knew and intentionally didn’t disclose.

The price cut end of this quarter should have been pretty predictable from a few months back. Looming tax credit in Jan, why pick up the car in Dec (unless you desperately needed it or income didn’t qualify). The bump from 3750 to 7k was baked in as soon as they announced a delay on the battery sourcing component.

Mark my words. 2023 will be a series of Tesla trying to maintain price stability (with end of quarter discounting in q2-4, possible q1).

Sucks for shareholders.

Sorry fanboys. You can thumbs-down any comment you want but it doesn’t change reality.

I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?

Tesla sales advisors are employees of Tesla so in that sense, they are speaking for the company. If they actually told you that it wasn't possible for additional discounts to be coming later in the month, that would be a lie as clearly additional discounts have been offered. However, unless they put it in writing or are willing to admit to saying it, there's probably little you can do about it short of suing the company.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken their word for it as no one can predict what Tesla/Musk might do. If something similar happens again, I would suggest you get it in writing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennisis
This is a solved problem, Tesla should just have a 30 day price match period. Addresses pretty much every scenario.

With random price drops that have no match window, it upsets people and makes future informed buyers reluctant to pull the trigger.

Chrysler did something like that back in the late 1980s or early 1990s but it actually covered the entire model year. They called it a "Guaranteed Rebate." If after purchasing a car, the rebate increased during the model year they buyer would get a check for the difference. For example, if someone bought when the rebate was $1,500 and it went up to $2,000, they would get a check for the additional $500.

Thinking there's just a bunch of stuff happening and it's not looking good for Tesla as a brand
  • Economy taking a dump
  • Uncertainty of 2023
  • Sensor/Camera/Radar
  • Values of cars in general
I'm a bit worried about the predictions that the car market will go upside down like real estate did in 2008. Add to this the growing competition for Tesla, old Elon will have to drop prices, and possibly listen to customers more. He got my money this year because of pent up enthusiasm, and for the longest time, my assumption that prices would keep going up. Oh well. 🤔

Reactions: Mike7564