Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat shifts and makes knock/clunk noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my car 2 weeks ago. When drive around corners, or really anytime my body weight shifts from side to side, the seat will make a knock/clunk sound. It’s like there is a very small amount of play in the seat pan.

I had a service tech come out today and after him being 2.5 hours late, he just tightened the seat rails down and started to leave without talking to me. I ran out before he left and he said he tightened them down more but didn’t feel like that would fix it. He said maybe they’d need to replace the seat. I asked him what my next steps were and he said to escalate the issue and he left. He said he left notes, but when I logged in and looked at his notes it was literally just a “.” Just a period. That was all. It was really the most pointless visit ever and did nothing to fix the issue or attempt to help me.

With that said, I rescheduled another appointment, but I’m worried this isn’t the best next step. Is there a better way to go about this? When I take corners it just makes this noise constantly. I can replicate it if I grab the seat and shift it side to side, but it’s louder with my body weight on it, which isn’t too much (170lbs).

I've had this same issue on our 2021 Y. Had three visits to address it. It has gotten better but not completely fixed. First thet tightened the bolts but no change in behavior. Second visit they tightened again, no improvement. Third visit they were going to replace the entire seat but when I got the car back the seat had the same crease marks so I think they only replaced the rails (if possible) or the bottom half. Whatever they did it fixed the issue 90% and I notice the clunk and weight shift far less often in turns. Every once in a while I still notice it. I am out of warranty coverage now so if it comes back I wonder if they'll still take care of it since three previous attempts didn't resolve it but we'll see. I'd hate to pay for a new seat on a fourth visit when they were initially going to do that on the 3rd visit while it was still under warranty.

I've had this same issue on our 2021 Y. Had three visits to address it. It has gotten better but not completely fixed. First thet tightened the bolts but no change in behavior. Second visit they tightened again, no improvement. Third visit they were going to replace the entire seat but when I got the car back the seat had the same crease marks so I think they only replaced the rails (if possible) or the bottom half. Whatever they did it fixed the issue 90% and I notice the clunk and weight shift far less often in turns. Every once in a while I still notice it. I am out of warranty coverage now so if it comes back I wonder if they'll still take care of it since three previous attempts didn't resolve it but we'll see. I'd hate to pay for a new seat on a fourth visit when they were initially going to do that on the 3rd visit while it was still under warranty.
If it's the same issue it should be covered - they can't simply delay fixing a problem to avoid responsibility

Reactions: FatherTo1