Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y back seat rattle: SC claims it's by design. Any fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have the same problem, the mobile service told me it was a design flaw and that it had nothing to do with it, they usually tell customers that they can put oil used on the leather in these places and it will reduce the friction noise significantly. However, I have a service appointment in a few days with more rattling issues and I want to discuss with them some solutions regarding this specific noise. (Interestingly, when I have a passenger in the back seat, the rubbing noise has disappeared).

I will let know in two days.

When a service center uses the "by design" excuse, it means they aren't authorized to find a solution that is covered under the warranty. I've had numerous vehicles over the decades with interior plastic trim panels, some inside or under the seats. My solutions have been to research it online and luckily I was always able to find someone that had the same issue and found a fix where they documented all their steps showing pictures. Hopefully others with your issue have or will do the same. My Model Y isn't making that rattle but now I will be keeping an ear out for it. But if it's seat material causing the noise, I would think some kind of upholstery cleaner or conditioner would help reduce the friction noise.

When a service center uses the "by design" excuse, it means they aren't authorized to find a solution that is covered under the warranty. I've had numerous vehicles over the decades with interior plastic trim panels, some inside or under the seats. My solutions have been to research it online and luckily I was always able to find someone that had the same issue and found a fix where they documented all their steps showing pictures. Hopefully others with your issue have or will do the same. My Model Y isn't making that rattle but now I will be keeping an ear out for it. But if it's seat material causing the noise, I would think some kind of upholstery cleaner or conditioner would help reduce the friction noise.
Right, the only solution I've been told is to use oil/conditioner in the friction area, as unfortunately it's not possible to increase the distance between the seats or adjust them in any way.
But at GFBB we have some castings with seats in "resting zones" and these have a huge gap between the seats. I need to check the bolts and the way they are attached and compare them to my TMYs.

Reactions: Resist