Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all 90kWh batteries alike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering purchasing a Model S P85D that had it's Battery and Motors replaced under warranty last year (Sep 2022).
Is it possible that the new battery is the latest chemistry or is it likely to be a reconditioned unit?
What about the motors? Have they changed over the years?

I am considering purchasing a Model S P85D that had it's Battery and Motors replaced under warranty last year (Sep 2022).
Is it possible that the new battery is the latest chemistry or is it likely to be a reconditioned unit?
What about the motors? Have they changed over the years?
I had a 2012 P85 that got rebranded as a P90

There were different 90 kwh batteries and the earlier ones had a higher silicone doping that made them susceptible to degradation but they somewhat solved it in a subsequent version of the 90 battery.. also the drive units in the very early years pretty much all got changed out to a better version (long story short).. what year are you looking at?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I had a 2012 P85 that got rebranded as a P90

There were different 90 kwh batteries and the earlier ones had a higher silicone doping that made them susceptible to degradation but they somewhat solved it in a subsequent version of the 90 battery.. also the drive units in the very early years pretty much all got changed out to a better version (long story short).. what year are you looking at?
It's a 2015 P85D. The display and app still show P85D.

I guess the previous owner told him. He also said, " I took the car to Tesla Glasgow and the guy done a check and told me the batteries and motors were swapped for new. I also have the Tesla app and Tessie app both confirm battery is 96% efficient and charge rate on a supercharger is 114kw ph you won't get that with a car that has deterioration."
🤷‍♂️

He shared this screenshot with me.
Screenshot_20230608-105933.png

Ask for a photo of the battery serial number

Your Tesla battery pack information is found on a sticker affixed to the front right side of the battery pack that can be seen when looking under your car from just behind the front right (passenger side) wheel

Last edited:
This thread has information on some of the different pack part numbers for new replacement packs and remanufactured packs. The part number is on the same sticker as the serial number, visible behind the right front wheel (driver's side in the UK).

GSP

Reactions: Tyler Durden
Is there a way to see what motors are fitted too?
Not without pulling panels and such.

The front motor is typically very reliable and failures are rare.

The rear motor has undergone several revisions to address some design flaws in earlier versions. Replacements are almost always remanufactured but generally whatever the latest internal revision was at the time of replacement so in general a replacement is a good thing.

Depending on what you can get it for, could be a very good deal with that battery.

Reactions: Tyler Durden
That battery was made in Sept 2022 and it's a new battery, not refurbished.

On a side note, my 2015 P85D's label says I'm running on 400VDC instead of 350? Anything I should be aware of? My battery is the original.
Originally produced 85/90 kWh batteries were all 400v - 16x 25 volt modules in series.

The “new” 85/90kwh pack that was first produced in 2021 is 350v - 14x 25 volt modules in series (but each module has more cells packed into it).

Reactions: Rocky_H and dwbv
Here is the current situation from a charger...
If you have a 85, you might unlock the battery to give the 90kw (the pack is about 87kw usable) so its about 8 kw more usable than the original 85 pack.
I read somewhere Tesla is charging about 800 usd for this, which in mine opinion is a good buy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_062813_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_062813_Tesla.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 84