Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App won't connect to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I am in Canada and have a Model S built in lat 2014. In the last week or so my iOS app will not connect to the car. Right now it says "Last seen 11 hours ago" so it may have connected overnight.

I have this issue both when the car should be connected to the cell network, and also right now when it should be connected to wifi when I am at home.

I have logged in and out of the phone app. That didn't make a difference.

Anyone have any suggestions?

We have a similar issue with our older Model S cars even when they're on WiFi. It seems to be more common when the car has been sitting longer so my guess is that it goes to some sort of a "sleep" mode even though I have the settings in the menu set to never sleep.

On our 2023 Model Y I notice that it takes longer to achieve communication when I first open the app each time but it connects 100% of the time. On our older cars I feel like that initial handshake happens quicker but it can and often does simply not establish at all... more likely if it's been sitting longer regardless of access to either mobile data or WiFi connectivity.

In ever occurance I can go out to the car to wake it up by opening up the door which further supports the "hybernate mode theory or whatever it's called. It's annoying and I can't seem to find any end-user setting that allows me to prevent this.

The newer cars don't seem to have this "sleep mode" setting I see in the older cars but they also don't have the same ability to lose connectivity entirely. While I prefer the quicker connection to the older cars each time you access them via the app I much prefer the nearly 100% connectivity rate even if it comes at the expense of taking a little longer each time of the newer cars.

I know that none of that is a solution to your issue other than to say that there may not be one in this case. I've been unable to find a solution myself anyway. If nothing else, maybe it will save you the time of searching for an answer that may not exist.

I am in Canada and have a Model S built in lat 2014. In the last week or so my iOS app will not connect to the car. Right now it says "Last seen 11 hours ago" so it may have connected overnight.

I have this issue both when the car should be connected to the cell network, and also right now when it should be connected to wifi when I am at home.

I have logged in and out of the phone app. That didn't make a difference.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I lost my ability to vent my windows after an firmware update.

I was not happy. Bad enough I miss the sunroof on my old but not forgotten 85D.

Then, I tried to update the Tesla App. All is good!

Suggest you update the app.

Thanks for the suggestion -my phone is set to auto update the apps and the Tesla app is up to date. If this problem continues I might delete the app and try to add it back, But I suspect the issue is more on the connection between the car and Tesla's servers.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne