Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apologies to Leaf owners but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a LEAF which I plan to return at end of lease and order a Model X. I like the LEAF, but it doesn't have the DC charging port, so anything over a 30 mile round trip is kind of a no-go. There are few public charging stations in my area.
The base Leaf without CHAdeMO and with the 3.3kW AC charger is indeed rather limited.
We have the top model with CHAdeMO and 6.6kW AC charger. We've charged away from home quite a few times - around here there are a fair number of CHAdeMO stations or L2 stations. You go to the library and charge the car for an hour (assuming the Blink charger isn't broken - about a 30% likelihood). You can go shopping at Fred Meyer and charge on a CHAdeMO charger (assuming the charger isn't broken). Some companies (including a solar panel manufacturer close to where I work) have free CHAdeMO stations. But to be honest, for anything over about 50 mile round trip we usually don't take the Leaf. We also have an ICE and as of Friday we are back to being a 2 EV family, so the Leaf is back to being the short distance car.
On my way to Bend last summer (~180 miles one way with a significant elevation gain) I met a Leaf driver who was charging at the CHAdeMO next to the supercharger in Detroit Lake. We talked a bit and she makes that drive (Portland - Bend) once a month in her Leaf. There are CHAdeMOs in perfect distance along the way. So it is possible. But I sure wouldn't want to do it. I never considered doing longer distance travel with our Leaf. The S60 I have taken to the Bay Area twice last year :)