Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Have Video Supercharging Model S P100D At 150 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an example time lapsed video of a P100D charging at a supercharger after Telsa unlocked the capability to charge up to 150 kW? I'm thinking of upgrading a P85D and I wanted to see the difference in charging speed.

I found one video online from 2017 when charging was limited to 120 kW (see below), so I was curious how much better/faster the P100D would charge from about 0%-90% on 150 kW.

Thanks!

This is a 2019 raven, not a P100D, but it'll give you an idea of the charging curve on a v2 (150kw) supercharger. I'd expect a bit more juice at low SoC from a V3 (250kw) station.

chart_main.jpeg

The SC is basically maxed out at around 143-144kw until I hit 48% and then it starts to taper. 29% - 83% in 29 minutes. I was the only car. Definitely better than my P85D. This is a similar session in my P85D, though I started at 36%:

chart_main (1).jpeg

36% - 80% took 38 minutes here, but since the battery is smaller, the charging speed difference is even greater. I added 32kwh in the P85D session, but 52kwh in the raven.

Attachments

• chart_main.jpeg
    chart_main.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 120
Check out my thread on getting the upgrade done charging before and after. You can see the curves on the chart I made

Also so far the highest I've gotten is 140kW but it held for a while before lowering and the damn thing stays above 50kW till like 90% charged

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Cool
Check out my thread on getting the upgrade done charging before and after. You can see the curves on the chart I made

Also so far the highest I've gotten is 140kW but it held for a while before lowering and the damn thing stays above 50kW till like 90% charged
Cool, I'm having like 33kW at 90% with my 100.. but I can confirm it can hold up to 140kW until approx 40% SOC ..

Thanks, this helps. We normally drive the battery down to about 5% to try and get the max rate out of our supercharging stops, but the P85D starts to decrease rather quickly - we might get 80 miles in 20-25 minutes.

Looks like the P100D upgrade might get us about 50% (or 140 miles) in ~30 minutes?

Thanks, this helps. We normally drive the battery down to about 5% to try and get the max rate out of our supercharging stops, but the P85D starts to decrease rather quickly - we might get 80 miles in 20-25 minutes.

Looks like the P100D upgrade might get us about 50% (or 140 miles) in ~30 minutes?
With 100kWh there's no reason to go under 10%, because it charges "only" approx 65-75kW until 10% rached. Whether it is advantage or not it depends, but overall it forces me to keep some "safe" lower buffer and not to try to go as down as possible like with 85kWh pack I used to :D:D
And yes, if you start on the optimal SOC level of those 10%, you can gain +- 45kWh by 30min charge which means 200km+ range addition of highway use (at 80mph).

Reactions: Stefanv1993
Moving from my P85D to a '17 P100D three months ago, it's been a game changer, especially when it comes to charging time, particularly when you need to charge above 50% during a trip to reach your destination.
One minor drawback is that the consumption of the P100D is slightly higher than the old one, around 5-10% with the same 21" wheels.

Moving from my P85D to a '17 P100D three months ago, it's been a game changer, especially when it comes to charging time, particularly when you need to charge above 50% during a trip to reach your destination.
One minor drawback is that the consumption of the P100D is slightly higher than the old one, around 5-10% with the same 21" wheels.
Odd mine went from 325-360wh/mi down to 300-310wh/mi after the 100 upgrade.

Odd mine went from 325-360wh/mi down to 300-310wh/mi after the 100 upgrade.
What a second . . . when you upgraded from a P85D to a P100DL, your consumption went from 325-360wh/mi down to 300-310wh/mi??? What size wheels? What tires?

This, in combination with the charging time, would certainly be a game changer for us. I consistently get 330-360 wh/mi on my P85D. Fully charged, the car says 220 miles, but the reality is that I can only get about 170 actual miles. The 057 Tech website says an upgrade should get us about 295 miles, and if we were closer to 95% of that, we'd get an extra 100+ miles out of each full charge. Wow.

What a second . . . when you upgraded from a P85D to a P100DL, your consumption went from 325-360wh/mi down to 300-310wh/mi??? What size wheels? What tires?

This, in combination with the charging time, would certainly be a game changer for us. I consistently get 330-360 wh/mi on my P85D. Fully charged, the car says 220 miles, but the reality is that I can only get about 170 actual miles. The 057 Tech website says an upgrade should get us about 295 miles, and if we were closer to 95% of that, we'd get an extra 100+ miles out of each full charge. Wow.
I used to have 234 miles rated on my P85D now I have 305 rated miles on my P100DL also the charging speed is absolutely insanely faster. I made a post in road trips about it just search my name. And yeah the extra range is very nice to have.

Anyway rims are the "base" 19" non staggered with some Michelin Primacy although I don't like these tire and will go back to falken once they wear out. It had 21" staggered turbines but I traded a guy for these and after powder coatimg them it was a great choice. I'd send a pic of the wh/mi but I've been towing so it says like 600+ from all the mountains 😂

The 100s are actually slightly more efficient on the highway, as there's more cells in parallel so less drain per cell and thus less internal heating losses (takes longer to drain the pack, so less strain per cell).

In city driving they're slightly less efficient due to the small added weight, hence the EPA based Wh/mi number for the 100 being slightly higher since it takes this into account.

Here ya go. Just about 300 wh/mi on flat'ish roads.

PXL_20230712_023318764.jpg

Reactions: wk057
Random note: I've got a way to get most Model X and Refresh S's to hit max supercharge speeds (breaking the 150 kW barrier) with 100 upgrades now at no additional cost beyond the upgrade itself. (Still working on a cost effective solution for pre-refresh S's to beat 150kW.)

I obviously can't guarantee any specific supercharger speeds for anyone, but I managed to safely get 240 kW for the normal amount of time on my very early 2016 X (VIN 2k) after the upgrade, and stayed above 150kW for a significant amount of time. 😃 Was pretty happy with this and so I took it on a brief ~400 mile road trip this past weekend for more testing, and zero issues. 😃

• Love
Reactions: Cheese Guy
Random note: I've got a way to get most Model X and Refresh S's to hit max supercharge speeds (breaking the 150 kW barrier) with 100 upgrades now at no additional cost beyond the upgrade itself. (Still working on a cost effective solution for pre-refresh S's to beat 150kW.)

I obviously can't guarantee any specific supercharger speeds for anyone, but I managed to safely get 240 kW for the normal amount of time on my very early 2016 X (VIN 2k) after the upgrade, and stayed above 150kW for a significant amount of time. 😃 Was pretty happy with this and so I took it on a brief ~400 mile road trip this past weekend for more testing, and zero issues. 😃
@wk057
On your other thread for upgrading teslas you mentioned this too.
I posted something too, because I'm interested in this. Tesla changed out the charger in my car in 2019, and I left the part number in the thread. Would it be one of the capable parts for higher speed charging? What else would need to be changed to get better charging speeds? It's got the 1014116-00-c battery. I was hoping for your knowledge.
Thanks

With 100kWh there's no reason to go under 10%, because it charges "only" approx 65-75kW until 10% rached. Whether it is advantage or not it depends, but overall it forces me to keep some "safe" lower buffer and not to try to go as down as possible like with 85kWh pack I used to :D:D
And yes, if you start on the optimal SOC level of those 10%, you can gain +- 45kWh by 30min charge which means 200km+ range addition of highway use (at 80mph).
Was wondering if that was issue with my car or normal. Most people recommend go as low as possible but mine stays in 60-62kw range till 11% then shoots up. Highest peak was able to get was 188kw on early 2017 p100d

Most people recommend go as low as possible but mine stays in 60-62kw range till 11% then shoots up.
That's a case where the old advice was true for the old technology. Then, the technology changed, and the behavior changed, but you still see the old advice around some. I have one of the old kinds. It's a 2014 S85. It really is faster all the way down as low as you can get it. But I forget where the battery or model change came in, maybe with the 90 or 100's? where that bottom area from about 0% to 10 or 15% stays pretty low and limited on power, and then it picks up a lot just above that. So it may not be all that helpful trying to get below 10% for your charging stops.

That's a case where the old advice was true for the old technology. Then, the technology changed, and the behavior changed, but you still see the old advice around some. I have one of the old kinds. It's a 2014 S85. It really is faster all the way down as low as you can get it. But I forget where the battery or model change came in, maybe with the 90 or 100's? where that bottom area from about 0% to 10 or 15% stays pretty low and limited on power, and then it picks up a lot just above that. So it may not be all that helpful trying to get below 10% for your charging stops.
Yes, the 90kWh packs seem to be relatively slower between 3%-15% but speeds up and peaks between 15-45%:

Reactions: Rocky_H