Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the full-width tail light for Tesla Y? Question about rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

karue

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2024
New York
So I was looking up those rear tail lights from Hanshaw, evbase, etc... and they look really cool. Then I saw one video for the "knight rider" style full width tail light, that it covers up the top part of the rear camera. Granted not enough to get in the way, you can still see the street, but enough to bug me. Here's an example

taillightcamera.png
1707507094170.png

So the types above sits almost flush while the other ones(below) go above on top but sticks out more like a spoiler. did anyone get the style of the other one? I was curious how much that gets in the view of the camera. There's a lot of youtubers that post the install process and how cool it looks, but not how it affects the rear camera. at least no picture or video reference except for top one.

1707507224053.png

Reactions: djones225
I can't comment on either of these but if I had to choose, I'd go with the bottom one because the design is more seamless. The top one the bar sticks out further and so it doesn't sit flush with the stock tail lights. I ended up going with neither and opted for this Satonic one though because I didn't see other people running that one and I've been pretty happy with it and how it looks. It also does not affect the view of the rear camera.
satoniclightbar.png

I can't comment on either of these but if I had to choose, I'd go with the bottom one because the design is more seamless. The top one the bar sticks out further and so it doesn't sit flush with the stock tail lights. I ended up going with neither and opted for this Satonic one though because I didn't see other people running that one and I've been pretty happy with it and how it looks. It also does not affect the view of the rear camera. View attachment 1016982
Ooh that is tempting! That looks fantastic too. It might be a winner too. I'll have to look into it. Considering the size, then the bottom one of my post might be the same too.

You really want to spend money on modifying a part of the car you can’t ever even see in use?
If you choose to wrap your car in a different color, can you really appreciate it while driving? What about different wheels you can't see while driving? Or when Tesla never had black window trim before yet people were getting theirs wrapped/painted? It doesn't matter whether you can see it while driving or not. Aesthetics is all about personal preference and some people just want theirs to be different in a sea of Teslas. Mod or unmodded, whether good taste or bad, I respect it. To each their own.

Ooh that is tempting! That looks fantastic too. It might be a winner too. I'll have to look into it. Considering the size, then the bottom one of my post might be the same too.
Yeah I actually like it quite a bit because it sorta reminds me of Audi's design. Just wish it came a bit darker as it's too red so I had it tinted. I just swapped it out though because I got different set gifted to me and I couldn't really say no.. Looking to sell it now to get some $$ back but I do miss the look of it. Definitely different than any other model Y near me. Here's how it looked when I had it on. Turn signals are sequential too.
satlightbar3452512.png

Yeah I actually like it quite a bit because it sorta reminds me of Audi's design. Just wish it came a bit darker as it's too red so I had it tinted. I just swapped it out though because I got different set gifted to me and I couldn't really say no.. Looking to sell it now to get some $$ back but I do miss the look of it. Definitely different than any other model Y near me. Here's how it looked when I had it on. Turn signals are sequential too.
View attachment 1017128
that's cool. Yea after asking around i found your style seems to be safe and mixed messages on the bottom picture of my original post. Some say "not at all" and some say an inch or two in the corners. Which is acceptable for me. For me, i'll wait it out another month or so, see if i feel the same about it. I just got the car, so i'm down the rabbit hole pretty bad on accessories.

What is the verdict on the bottom set of tail lights from the OP's post?

Does the bottom also cover up a portion of the rear view mirror and does anyone have a photo so we can see if it will bother us too much?

View attachment 1017128

It looks like this is the "newer" version of the bottom set OP posted. So with these the rear view camera had no obstruction at all on the screen? Was there any issues with any light glare or anything?

Yea the more I sit on it, the more I'm hesitating to get it for now. I guess I'll just have to wait for a more definitive view. I want to get the digital rear view mirror too, so hesitating more about it

Yea the more I sit on it, the more I'm hesitating to get it for now. I guess I'll just have to wait for a more definitive view. I want to get the digital rear view mirror too, so hesitating more about it

cant believe with all the reviewers on youtube, no one wants to show it. I see comments on the videos people asking. Some say no, some say partial. No one can provide a pic.

Reactions: karue
It looks like this is the "newer" version of the bottom set OP posted. So with these the rear view camera had no obstruction at all on the screen? Was there any issues with any light glare or anything?
I can't speak to either of those but the one I got in my post above does not have an obstruction. You can see the bar portion that lights up sits higher than those other 2. I've never taken a pic of rear camera view in reverse because glare or visibility was never an issue. If it was, I would've complained or sent it back.

Reactions: karue
I can't comment on either of these but if I had to choose, I'd go with the bottom one because the design is more seamless. The top one the bar sticks out further and so it doesn't sit flush with the stock tail lights. I ended up going with neither and opted for this Satonic one though because I didn't see other people running that one and I've been pretty happy with it and how it looks. It also does not affect the view of the rear camera. View attachment 1016982
How are you liking the Satonic tail lights? How was their speed in getting them shipped out?

How are you liking the Satonic tail lights? How was their speed in getting them shipped out?
Took 4 business days to ship out. Total of 11 days to receive. I like how different it looks and a better integration for a light bar than the others. Build quality is OK around the edges and I wish the housing was a darker red but overall pretty cool lights. I sold them because I went for a different look for the car. Their customer service was responsive but as with most Chinese companies, communication & understanding is limited.

Reactions: unprocessed