Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience with changing tires at Walmart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '17 model s AWD, one rear tire needs to be replaced.

Curious if anyone has gotten their model s tires changed at Walmart. How is the service at their auto centers? They got a good selection and install costs plus hazard warranty is $18 with Walmart+ which is the best price by far.

Arroyo GRAND SPORT a/s plus install comes to $116.55

I don't think there is anyway to generalize as the service several of these types of places give will heavily depend on the personnel that work there. So even if you people you know locally say they had good experience, there is always the chance that the people working the shift you're there are different and generally clueless.

My experience was not Walmart, but my local Sam's, still Walmart Corp. I was aware another Tesla owner in my area used this specific Sam's Club for tires multiple times and was satisfied. I spoke with the guy that ran the auto center when I made my appointment to make sure they knew the correct procedure to jack the car by the jack pads and not lift by the battery pack. All good I thought. However, when there were working on my car I happened to look out through the windows into the store to see them taking it off the lift, only to realize they were not using the lift arms under the jack pads but were just lifting it on the underside of the battery pack. Needless to say I was not a very happy camper. Fortunately there did not seem to be any real damage or long term impact to my car, but I wasn't happy.

So my comment for any tire shop you use is make sure you talk to the people running it actually when you drop the car off, confirm they know the correct procedures, and if they don't have the correct pads for their lift, agree they will manually jack it up using a floor jack one corner at a time using an appropriate spacer or pad.

Reactions: SadPanda
I don't think there is anyway to generalize as the service several of these types of places give will heavily depend on the personnel that work there. So even if you people you know locally say they had good experience, there is always the chance that the people working the shift you're there are different and generally clueless.

My experience was not Walmart, but my local Sam's, still Walmart Corp. I was aware another Tesla owner in my area used this specific Sam's Club for tires multiple times and was satisfied. I spoke with the guy that ran the auto center when I made my appointment to make sure they knew the correct procedure to jack the car by the jack pads and not lift by the battery pack. All good I thought. However, when there were working on my car I happened to look out through the windows into the store to see them taking it off the lift, only to realize they were not using the lift arms under the jack pads but were just lifting it on the underside of the battery pack. Needless to say I was not a very happy camper. Fortunately there did not seem to be any real damage or long term impact to my car, but I wasn't happy.

So my comment for any tire shop you use is make sure you talk to the people running it actually when you drop the car off, confirm they know the correct procedures, and if they don't have the correct pads for their lift, agree they will manually jack it up using a floor jack one corner at a time using an appropriate spacer or pad.
Thanks! This was good advice. I chatted with a few different Walmart auto techs. Funnily enough the location where there was one guy who I thought was pretty good said their lifts don't support Teslas. The others sorta thought they could do it which didn't give me too much confidence. Shame since the price is so good.

Settled on discount tires. Install cost was sadly twice as much at $40 for a tire but they looked like they knew what they're doing plus I saw other Teslas in their bays lol.