Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody in the Great White North get 6.1 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not convinced my iphone app will notify me of the firmware upgrade. While I'm still waiting on 6.1, just after the new year I saw the little clock notification for a minor firmware upgrade on the car's touch screen but not a peep from the iOS app on my iphone 6. The iOS app was sending me notifications of charge start/stop and I could control the car's honk, locks etc, so it didn't appear to be a connection or config issue. Guess I'll wait and see if I get an app notification for 6.1!

Hey Doug. Since you are the proud owner of 6.1 and I believe you experienced the Canadian 3G problem is it fixed? I lose 3G most drives even with 'always connected' (or something like that) selected.

I don't have much in the way of 3G problems since they replaced my intermittent antenna cable, but I did have issues if the car went to sleep. I haven't tried re-enabling Sleep Mode since the update. I will do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced my iphone app will notify me of the firmware upgrade.

Do you have that notification turned on? You have to enable it in the app.

I don't have much in the way of 3G problems since they replaced my intermittent antenna cable, but I did have issues if the car went to sleep. I haven't tried re-enabling Sleep Mode since the update. I will do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have that notification turned on? You have to enable it in the app.

Yep. Notifications on - as mentioned I get notifications of charge stop and start. Just on the weekend I also got a car alarm notification when the kids were in the car and it locked. I also see calendar updates.

In other words, the app and notifications all seem to work except for the last minor revision update not showing a notification. I'll wait anxiously for 6.1 and see what happens.

@wayner: what access point software are you referring to that gave you the insight into the Tesla download? Very curious.
I just got some Ubiquit Unifi access points to use around my house. One of the reasons I decided to get these is that my Tesla was having trouble connecting into my LAN from the garage. These look kind of like 9" circular smoke detectors although they aren't as thick as your typical smoke detector. They are generally mounted on a ceiling or wall and use PoE for power so there is only one wire coming into the device - each unit comes with a PoE injector so you can use that or a PoE switch. They can either connect into your LAN via ethernet cable or you can use wifi for that as well - although I am not doing that, at least not yet but I am still setting them up. I paid $100 per device including HST and shipping from Amazon.ca.

There is some Controller software that runs on one of your PCs that allows you to centrally control all of the access points in your house. From that software you can see all of the devices connected, you can give them aliases (rather than going by MAC IDs) and you can see how much data each device is consuming, how long it has been connected for, etc. I have a very wide house with three floors (including basement) and I need several WAPs to provide full coverage. Previously I was using routers with DHCP turned off but these Ubiquiti units seem to give better coverage and make the Wifi LAN management much easier - not that you really have to do that very often. You can also just use one SSID for your entire house plus a Guest SSID. So that makes it easier when you set up devices that need to connect into your Wifi LAN. I have a bunch of this stuff, like Harmony Remote hubs, a Philips Hue hub, an iPhone dock/music player, etc. So far it seems to work pretty well although it seems that my devices hold onto a WAP for too long when its signal is getting weak.

wayner, what WiFi device are you using? The Bell or Rogers modem ones or your own WiFi router? The Bell and Rogers ones are known to have limited range. I have a TP-Link 4300 WiFi router with DD-wrt firmware located in the basement rafters near the front door of my 2 story house. Coverage within the house and attached garage and driveway is excellent. My experimentation has shown that there is strong WiFi signal on the same plane and above the router. I connect via the 2GHz band. The 5 GHz band signal is weaker due to walls blocking it more.

I have Rogers' Hybrid Fibre 250/20 service and I am using my own Asus RT-N66U router connected to a Rogers Hitron CGN3 Gateway which is in bridge mode (which means it is only acting as a modem, not as a modem+router+ wifi access point which is called gateway mode). I do a bunch of stuff on my router, like forwarding ports and running OpenVPN. I am not running dd-wrt on this router (I was on my previous router) but I am running a third party firmware called Merlin. There are a bunch of shortcomings in the router/WAP capabilities (including poor range) of the Rogers/Hitron unit plus I REALLY don't like the idea of someone at Rogers having control over my LAN, which I would argue is the case when the device is gateway mode. (If it isn't already apparent, I am a major geek and I have tons of computers, etc in my house - I think I am now using up about 70 IP addresses on a regular basis)

I have most of my house wired up with ethernet cabling which is terminated in my basement where cable/phone enter my house and where my circuit breaker panel sits. But this is probably the worst place in your house to put a WAP since it is in a corner of my basement. So I had put about four other routers in other rooms of my house (plus one in the pool cabana of course) but they were configured to work as WAPs rather than as routers. (As I mentioned in another thread I live in the Scarborough Bluffs area with a 100' wide lot and my house is about 85' wide so the house is large with a lot of surface area to cover).

These Ubiquiti Unifi units are dedicated WAPs which appear to have better range and they are made to work together so that you can use one SSID for your house. They are often used more in offices or commercial settings, so they may be a bit of overkill for a home, but I like they way that they allow you to manage all of your WAPs together into one coherent network with one SSID, password, Guest SSID, etc. You can also see who has been on your network and how much bandwidth they have used. With this unit I do get a better signal in my garage than what I had before - this may be a coincidence but within a few hours of hooking it up I got the 6.1 update.

The downside to these units, at least compared to using regular routers as WAPs, is that they can't be used as switches for your wired network and the units that I have only have 2.4GHz networks, they don't have 5G networks unless you get a slightly higher end model. With gigabit networking you can get away with one drop per room as you can just put a $25 five port gigabit switch in a room, unless you want to distribute video or other stuff over that cabling. I paid $100/unit including HST and delivery for the WAPs.

@mrElbe - you seem to have things very well covered from where you are with one router. The most central spot in my house is the living room and I don't really want a WAP there, although I might be able to put it in the attic above the living room. But I don't know if it would like the extreme temperatures since I am guessing your attic could go from -20 in the winter to +40 in the summer. So I will need at least two units - maybe I went a bit too far getting three.

Just updated. Took less than 20min. Love the new trip tab under energy. Wondering if preconditioning will learn even if/when I manually precondition prior to departure? What I mean specifically is that I usually add a 'chunk' of daily range battery to top up as well as run cabin heat from the remote app, will it learn trip distance to charge battery to req'd distance or just heat... we'll see. Charge port opens from key fob even in my older sig.

I got the update yesterday over 3g since I stopped using wifi as a result of 3g connections issues in this thread: 3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

I wonder if this update fixes it?

I hope it fixes it.

I also had the update download to my car over 3G today even though the car is connected on wifi at home. The unusual thing is that it occurred while I was driving!? It wasn't there when I left from home but I noticed the update clock appear while I was on the highway so it is possible that it started while it was connected at home and just finished the download on the 3G.

Got mine on the 25th - installed without issue

Loving the adaptive cruise, even in traffic, where you simply tap the accelerator to resume

Also, the new 'traffic cone' button on the reversing camera brings up a great 360 degree sensor view, which is really helpful in tight spaces

One thing I did notice was that the regen seems to tail off more quickly when coming to a stop, meaning I have to use the brakes more. No biggie.

Thanks, Tesla - the car feels brand new again