Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans for Model S Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 interior is the first step towards an interior optimized for FSD - removing the separate dashboard display and rotating the display to landscape that is better for displaying videos.

The next step will be figuring out a way to reduce the presence of the steering wheel, along with other changes to the interior focusing more on keeping the passengers entertained while the vehicle drives itself - such as some workspace, 110 outlets, rotating seats, ...

As to when we'll start seeing these interior changes in the S/X - we're all just guessing. Though if Musk is right and the FSD software will be "feature complete" late this year, we could see S/X interior changes in the next 12-24 months - and earlier if it would allow Tesla to simplify and/or reduce the cost of manufacturing.

FSD won't be good enough and legal for use unattended for at least 5+ years, in the meantime they should continue to make cars that are not annoying to use when operated manufally.

The Model 3 interior is the first step towards an interior optimized for FSD - removing the separate dashboard display and rotating the display to landscape that is better for displaying videos.

The next step will be figuring out a way to reduce the presence of the steering wheel, along with other changes to the interior focusing more on keeping the passengers entertained while the vehicle drives itself - such as some workspace, 110 outlets, rotating seats, ...

As to when we'll start seeing these interior changes in the S/X - we're all just guessing. Though if Musk is right and the FSD software will be "feature complete" late this year, we could see S/X interior changes in the next 12-24 months - and earlier if it would allow Tesla to simplify and/or reduce the cost of manufacturing.

As soon as FSD is a reality, I will dump my 2014 model S and get a new one... Proof of that moment arriving will be when Tesla is selling cars with no side mirrors, even as an option. And by then Tesla should also have figured out how to make a good user interface to replace this garbage V9 :p. I think I can safely say I'll have my existing car for another 10 years yet.

The Model 3 is a fine car, and is a great value. Almost everyone I try to push toward Tesla, I recommend the Model 3. But I agree that it’s minimalistic approach is not for everyone. I had a deposit on the Model 3 from day 1. After seeing it and seeing the interior it just wasn’t for me.

This is all subjective, but it was boring and plain. It didn’t evoke the same emotion that the Model S or the original roadster did. Those were both cars I wanted. I considered until recently the Model S my “realistic dream car” (I’ll probably never have an F40 unfortunately) that I never really expected to be able to afford. The earlier Tesla’s are quirky and have silly features. I suspect as Tesla ages as a brand their cars will become less and less unique.

We are likely to see FSD vehicles approved for use in the next 12-24 months, geolimited to certain roads.

In the original semi announcement Tesla had plans to have 3 semis driving in sequence, with only a human driver in the first cab - and the others in "follow" mode.

We're likely to see FSD delivery vehicles with geolimited routes, though those vehicles will likely end up driving much slower than a human would tolerate, to ensure they don't hit anything on city streets and neighborhoods.

Testing has been underway for FSD taxi services - in limited areas.

And based on the progress Tesla is making with NOAP, now including auto lane change, we may not be that far away from FSD on major highways - especially in the trucking industry - that is already doing testing with humans as backup drivers.

Are we close to seeing FSD on all roads in all conditions - no. But we may not be that far from seeing it in some situations...

Model years DO mean something to motor vehicle licensing and registration and the rest of the world.

It's manufacture date on the sticker is the model year of your car, enjoy!

All that stuff manufactured in 2016 for all the variants of model S that appeared ... are all model year 2016 cars. This just makes it confusing for aftermarket parts. But not when Tesla is the only source for most of those parts - they go by VIN and know what you have.

What I think you mean to say is, Tesla doesn't wait to introduce changes or align them with any calendar date as the reason for doing so. They are driven purely by marketability and profit making decisions as to when things appear.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Tesla is likely working on upgrades for S/X.

Since Tesla doesn't have model years - they'll introduce the changes when they are ready.

And they usually don't provide much (if any) warning when major changes are coming, and instead do an unveiling on short notice and then immediately shift manufacturing.

Before we purchased our S 100D in early 2017, we knew Tesla was working on V3 supercharging - and were tempted to delay our order until Tesla added V3 supercharging to Model S. And we would still be waiting today, since Tesla still hasn't updated Model S to take full advantage of V3 supercharging.

At some point, Tesla will make some major changes to S/X - we know they are working on a number of different changes (battery packs, motors, console display, …). But when we'll see those changes is anyone's guess.

Like when we made our decision to purchase the S 100D 2 years ago, we evaluated the features in the current vehicles at that time, and decided the configuration at that time met our needs - and that it wasn't worthwhile to continue waiting any longer to make our purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: voltage and Brando