Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one bothered by the windshield wiper control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always disliked cars that combine wiper controls and turn signals onto a single stalk. This was quite common on Fords and GMs for a period (likely as a cost cutting move), though thankfully they both seemed to have moved back to having two stalks, one one either side of the wheel. A dedicated stalk for the wipers means you get a much better sense of when the wipers are on or off, and the single-swipe feature is a lot easier and less finicky to use.

I was quite concerned about this because both of my previous ICE cars had the wiper stalk right where the Model S Gear Selector is. And these previous cars would have you push the end of the stalk for the washers. I was very worried muscle memory was going to have me slamming the car into Park when I meant to activate the washers by mistake! So far, I haven't made that mistake, but oddly, I have hit the wiper control trying to put my wife's ICE into gear!

Just as an opposing voice, I rather like the touchscreen controls, and would support more of them going there. I understand part of it is because the wheel assembly already had some functions integrated as part of the design. I drive enough different vehicles, from my classics to my bucket truck to my Model S, that means I have to learn the vehicles anyway (no "park" on the truck, e.g.)

Eventually, perhaps we'll have more configurability - can I shrink the app screens for a second row of controls that are customizable... think the notification screen button ribbon on Android that is adjustable.

I love being able to leave the headlights on auto and not having to think about turning them on when needed; so far they have always come on automatically as needed.

It was relatively bright on the peninsula for those rains last weekend. This always trips mine up, and is the most common time I need to turn the lights on manually. In OH and IL, using your windshield wipers without having your headlights on isn't even legal. "Auto" mode should take that into account, IMO.

Eventually, perhaps we'll have more configurability - can I shrink the app screens for a second row of controls that are customizable... think the notification screen button ribbon on Android that is adjustable.

I'd love a quick shortcut to things like this. Headlights on, Dome lights on, and Chargeport open are a few I use frequently that I wish I didn't have to fumble through menus for.

It was relatively bright on the peninsula for those rains last weekend. This always trips mine up, and is the most common time I need to turn the lights on manually. In OH and IL, using your windshield wipers without having your headlights on isn't even legal. "Auto" mode should take that into account, IMO.

Auto does take into account wipers. If they are on any of the intermittant settings your headlights will turn on. They will also turn on when you implement auto wipers, but will 'time out' if the wipers don't wipe frequently enough.

I often find my lights time out when it is misting, as I typically am proactive and forcing manual wipes, and the auto wipes don't engage, and thus my lights turn off.

Auto does take into account wipers. If they are on any of the intermittant settings your headlights will turn on. They will also turn on when you implement auto wipers, but will 'time out' if the wipers don't wipe frequently enough.

I really thought I tested this, but I guess I screwed it up. Great news. As mentioned above, all the intermittent settings are too fast for me, so I've resorted to manual mode most of the time, so it sounds like it wouldn't apply to that case.

I didn't like the wipers at first, but now after using hydrophobic glass cleaner, I don't mind them. I just press the square button whenever a wipe is needed.

Jerry what cleaner do you use? Thanks...
Same question. My windshield is now a smeary mess. I've been using Rain-X with great success for 15 years, but someone mentioned that it makes the wipers skip on the Model S. I had Opti-Glass put on when I got the car, but it's pretty much all gone 3 months later. So it lasted a good long time, but at $80 a bottle it's a big commitment.

Interesting. You use that on the outside of the windows? It doesn't mention anywhere that it has hydrophobic properties. Does look like a nice Windex-style cleaner, though.

Yes, on the outside. I know it doesn't say hydrophobic, but it actually is. Drive 40 mph (60 km/h) or faster and you don't need wipers. It's not at all like windex. You use a very small amount and buff it in or it will make a smeary mess.

It bothers me that there is no way to see the state of your WSW setting without looking at it and that is hard because it is hidden behind the steering wheel. I would be happy with little bumps that allow you feel it's location. I find myself turning the wipers off and then back on to make sure I have it set the way I want. Kind of clumsy in an otherwise very well thought out user interface.

I agree with this, the stalk is hidden by the wheel, that said, this is a stock stalk setup from Mercedes and when my wife got her Mercedes, I had the same complaint about her car.

Yes, on the outside. I know it doesn't say hydrophobic, but it actually is. Drive 40 mph (60 km/h) or faster and you don't need wipers. It's not at all like windex. You use a very small amount and buff it in or it will make a smeary mess.

On their site they say it can be used as a general-purpose cleaner on plastics and vinyl (like Windex), and hydrophobic coatings on porous plastic can damage them. They're reputable, so I'm not sure they'd recommend that. It looks more like a cleaner and fine abrasive, according to reviews online and the CG site. Anything that makes the window smoother will aid in water run-off. Maybe they're site's just not very good in describing it.

Worth a try for a few dollars, anyway. If not, I'll just seal it with Zaino per my usual process on other cars.

On their site they say it can be used as a general-purpose cleaner on plastics and vinyl (like Windex), and hydrophobic coatings on porous plastic can damage them. They're reputable, so I'm not sure they'd recommend that. It looks more like a cleaner and fine abrasive, according to reviews online and the CG site. Anything that makes the window smoother will aid in water run-off. Maybe they're site's just not very good in describing it.

It does last through several washings. I've never seen Windex make water roll off like that. On the other hand, I'm on the first bottle and perhaps they put in the wrong stuff. Didn't seem like it as it has the fragrance and colour described.

Yes, on the outside. I know it doesn't say hydrophobic, but it actually is. Drive 40 mph (60 km/h) or faster and you don't need wipers.
Thanks for that detail. I was considering it. That makes it useless to me. Lot of slow driving around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Your blanket criticism seems way over-the-top to me, though you are welcome to your opinion.

In my experience the wipers in the two fixed speeds work as well as those on any of the over a dozen cars I have owned, in light or heavy rain.
You're in California. They work fine in CALIFORNIA rain conditions. They work pretty badly in a lot of NEW YORK rain and snow conditions. Mostly cold, wet conditions which you will never encounter in San Mateo.

The two auto sensing modes certainly have some issues, and I tend not to use the wipers in those modes.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as an opposing voice, I rather like the touchscreen controls, and would support more of them going there.
If the touchscreen had tactile feedback, you could put almost everything on it.

But there are things which you want to be able to hit *without looking* -- perhaps while executing emergency maneuvers very suddenly -- and the touchscreen is fundamentally unsuitable for those. This includes the wipers and the lights, and access to "neutral". Actually, that's basically all it includes.

As far as I know that's how all hydrophobic glass cleaner works. Below 40 mph the water beads up so you rarely need to wipe it off.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Instead of a smeary sheet of water you get nice beads. The beads roll off if you're travelling fast enough. Otherwise the benefit is that you can reduce your wipes because the water on your window isn't distorting your view into a watercolor painting.

Yep. Never been crazy about the position of the wipers or the turn signal or the Cruise Control. Much prefer the way Toyota does it (but that's the ONLY thing I miss). The Radio controls could use a little more work as they require too much attention, but I honestly wouldn't know where to begin to make them more user friendly.