Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 2015 year end deals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry....to be clear, all of these deals were on inventory cars. Not custom, not CPO, but inventory. We were looking to get something delivered before year end. That's where the "end of the year" deals are.....
From a supply limited company, that makes sense, the only way to move more cars before year end is to move ones they have sitting (inventory) as ordering a new one now doesn't help them meet a year end target if they can't build it before Q1

I was just told by my sales rep that the leasing offer only applied to inventory cars, not custom ordered cars. I ordered an 85D before the end of November and will take delivery by the end of December. Is my sales rep not telling the truth?

I 100% definitely got the lease deal on a custom order build. Not on an inventory or CPO car. I watched my car go through production and it is now in transit to my local Tesla store. (You can see my initial post on the first page of this thread.) I believe that the reason for the deal was that Tesla wanted to hit the "50,000 cars delivered in 2015" mark that their investors and Wall St were told could be expected.

I 100% definitely got the lease deal on a custom order build. Not on an inventory or CPO car. I watched my car go through production and it is now in transit to my local Tesla store. (You can see my initial post on the first page of this thread.) I believe that the reason for the deal was that Tesla wanted to hit the "50,000 cars delivered in 2015" mark that their investors and Wall St were told could be expected.
It may no longer be available though as they may have targeted it only to cars that could be delivered before year end, no way a new car meets that criteria now.

IMHO they should keep the current lease "deal" and not discontinue it.

Tesla lease prices were not so great to begin with compared to the competition and the lease special they offered was more in line with competing cars in this price segment.

Also think for a moment that if the justification for their lease special was to increase sales, they will have to sell just as many or more cars in the next quarter based on their production ramp up.

IMHO they should keep the current lease "deal" and not discontinue it.

Tesla lease prices were not so great to begin with compared to the competition and the lease special they offered was more in line with competing cars in this price segment.

Also think for a moment that if the justification for their lease special was to increase sales, they will have to sell just as many or more cars in the next quarter based on their production ramp up.

I beg to differ regarding Tesla leases and how they compare to competition. Even before I got the lower "lease deal" I found their rates to be more than reasonable when compared to competing cars. Now some of that has to do with the $7500 tax credit that still gets factored into the lease in the form of a higher residual value. Regardless I can tell you that the Tesla cost to lease for a 3 year/15k mile per year lease is less than an Audi S7 or a MB CLS 550 4Matic (cars that I believe compare very reasonably with the 85D I ordered in terms of MSRP, style, performance.) And that is at today's low gas costs. If gas goes back up to $4/gallon the Tesla becomes even more of a deal.

Based on the discussion i had with my local store, the lease rates was available for a custom order build as long as the car was delivered in 2015, so i think is was a promo to "hit the 50,000" cars. IMO i think they where giving extra discounts on demo inventory cars as selling them would also increase the amount of cars considered sold for 2015.

So it sounds like my sales guy gave me the wrong information. Who should I call to find out more about this? My car would be delivered before the end of the year

I beg to differ regarding Tesla leases and how they compare to competition. Even before I got the lower "lease deal" I found their rates to be more than reasonable when compared to competing cars. Now some of that has to do with the $7500 tax credit that still gets factored into the lease in the form of a higher residual value. Regardless I can tell you that the Tesla cost to lease for a 3 year/15k mile per year lease is less than an Audi S7 or a MB CLS 550 4Matic (cars that I believe compare very reasonably with the 85D I ordered in terms of MSRP, style, performance.) And that is at today's low gas costs. If gas goes back up to $4/gallon the Tesla becomes even more of a deal.

I doubt many people spending around $100K for a car change what they want to buy based on gas prices.

Perhaps you did not compare the Tesla lease prices with the competition. The CLS is basically a fancy E Class. With the previous Tesla lease pricing, the Mercedes S Class was cheaper to lease than a comparably priced Model S. I know this for a fact because i recently priced one out. I posted about this a while back. My point is lower lease prices that are competitive will help sales. In fact this is the only reason Tesla has lowered their lease prices. Given the fact that in Q1, they will have to sell even more Model S vehicles to meet the higher 2016 targets it seems to make sense to keep the current lease pricing. I can tell for a fact it will make a difference in our purchase decision and likely others as well.

Perhaps you did not compare the Tesla lease prices with the competition.

As I wrote, I compared the Tesla lease price to an Audi S7 lease and a MB CLS550 4 matic lease. (Wouldn't you call that the competition?) And the Tesla was less.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt many people spending around $100K for a car change what they want to buy based on gas

People who lease cars are not "spending around $100K." They are figuring an acceptable monthly expense. When comparing the monthly cost to lease a car, who wouldn't consider the gas savings you get from leasing an EV. At today's gas prices and 15K miles per year, the savings are about $200 per month as compared to a car that gets an average of 20 miles/gallon. If a Tesla and and Audi have the same monthly lease price, the Tesla is really $200 less per month because of gas savings. Not saying it will change what you decide to get, but it is a factor.

It seems like you were lucky. Everyone I have talked to at tesla keeps reiterating the deal was only for inventory cars, not custom orders. Is there any way you could PM the email you received from your sales guy.

Thanks

As I wrote, I compared the Tesla lease price to an Audi S7 lease and a MB CLS550 4 matic lease. (Wouldn't you call that the competition?) And the Tesla was less.

People who lease cars are not "spending around $100K." They are figuring an acceptable monthly expense. When comparing the monthly cost to lease a car, who wouldn't consider the gas savings you get from leasing an EV. At today's gas prices and 15K miles per year, the savings are about $200 per month as compared to a car that gets an average of 20 miles/gallon. If a Tesla and and Audi have the same monthly lease price, the Tesla is really $200 less per month because of gas savings. Not saying it will change what you decide to get, but it is a factor.

The CLS is a gussied by E Class and the A7 is a gussied by A6. Both are fine cars but neither of which are in the same price range as a higher trim level Tesla. I would compare a Mercedes S Class priced in the same range and for that comparison, the Tesla lease for a P85D is more expensive.

As for the "gas savings," it is a bunch of bogus nonsense as far as I'm concerned :) It is ridiculous they continue to include that when they show the price of the car. I stand by what I said in that most people about to buy/lease/acquire/whatever-it-is-you-want-to-call-it a car with a value of over $100K likely care very little about the cost of gasoline to let it affect their purchase decision. They generally buy what they want. The effect of gasoline cost affecting decisions in this price range is inconsequential. I can tell you for a fact that we would still be looking to buy a P85D if gasoline cost ZERO (as in free) because the Tesla just drives so much better.

The bottom line is attractive lease prices will temp more business owners to acquire a car. The P85D we looked at earlier had a monthly lease of slightly less than $1,300 under the special lease rate they were offering. It was a good deal. Now it is back to over $1,700 and now it is no longer such a good deal.

Last edited:
The CLS is a gussied by E Class and the A7 is a gussied by A6. Both are fine cars but neither of which are in the same price range as a higher trim level Tesla. I would compare a Mercedes S Class priced in the same range and for that comparison, the Tesla lease for a P85D is more expensive.

The bottom line is attractive lease prices will temp more business owners to acquire a car. The P85D we looked at earlier had a monthly lease of slightly less than $1,300 under the special lease rate they were offering. It was a good deal. Now it is back to over $1,700 and now it is no longer such a good deal.

That's really shocking that you're being quoted over $1,700. Are you sure that's correct? I found that otherwise knowledgable Tesla advisors gave me numbers all over the map for leasing. Ultimately I was approved to lease a fully optioned 2015 85D in inventory (1500 miles on it) for $1086/mo for 15k miles/yr.

The S550 is more luxurious but slower than the 85D (the P85D is in another class on performance) and they're offering a special year-end lease of $1149/mo on 2015s. The CLS550 4Matic is $1203/mo for the same mileage.

I think the Tesla leases without the special deal for 2015 inventory cars is similar to the M-B lease pricing, at least for the 85D. Comparing the P85D to the S550 is really apples & oranges.

They were really aggressive in moving me away from a CPO and pushing me towards a demo car. The demo car came w/ 21 inch wheels - since no one apparently likes the 21's in the northeast in December they told me they would give me a pair of all weather 19's, rebate the cost of the 21's, and allow me to keep the 21's at no charge.

That's a $4,500 credit I don't think I'd get in March.

They also upped the odometer credit a little as well - though I think someone else in this thread mentioned that.

i just want to be clear that I am comparing an Audi S7 (not an A7)to a Tesla Model S85D. They very much compare directly. Similar MSRP base price and when outfitted with options. Similar power and handling, AWD, etc. Size even. The same hold true for the MB CLS 550 4Matic. But that is not the point. You keep trying to tell me that I am comparing the Tesla to cars that don't compare and I should compare to a more expensive MB S sedan. I don't think you are getting my point that the Tesla lease is actually less thanthe S7 and CLS 550 4Matic. That should carry even more weight if you feel those are inferior cars in comparison.

Oh, and I still 100% disagree that $200/month gas savings don't get figured into decision making. it doesn't matter how much the cars costs (MSRP or cash price) if you only lease and focus on that monthly payment.