Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay, please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple announced more improvements for CarPlay yesterday so it makes it even more desirable. Come on Tesla - give us CarPlay in our vehicles before we start falling behind. I love my car but would like more options for music (like Spotify) and Nav (like Waze) which is easier to implement with CarPlay.

Apple announced more improvements for CarPlay yesterday so it makes it even more desirable. Come on Tesla - give us CarPlay in our vehicles before we start falling behind. I love my car but would like more options for music (like Spotify) and Nav (like Waze) which is easier to implement with CarPlay.

First off, if they're going to put them in the car then it needs to have an option for both. Us Android users are already upset at being so far behind on the app, if they just put in CarPlay a lot of owners will be fuming. I can definitely see why they haven't made a decision since this is such a delicate matter. The next issue is making it fit in right with the current UI. Also, I'm sure it'd be pretty difficult to get them to run alongside everything else. They'd have to do something like run a VM for it, which is pretty complicated. Personally, I'd just like to see them open up an API so that these apps can come to the car and properly integrate with it.

They'd have to do something like run a VM for it, which is pretty complicated. Personally, I'd just like to see them open up an API so that these apps can come to the car and properly integrate with it.
Just buy an iPhone - what's the big deal? (I'm kidding)

But how many people will develop for the Tesla when the entire global market is so small? The Tesla screen is pretty great but I am not that happy that a $20,000 Hyundai will soon have better tech than my $150,000 Model S.

And others have developed systems will work with both Android and CarPlay.

Personally, I wouldn't see anything done under the 6.2 UI. It would wait for the 7.0 UI at least. But then, I image they can multi-purpose the Phone app. There could be a setting in Controls >> Settings >> Apps >> Phone >> Invoke CarPlay/Android Auto, and if selected, going to the Phone "app" loads up CarPlay or Android Auto into the Phone "window". Surely Tesla can determine if CarPlay or Android Auto is available over the Bluetooth connection.

I also feel that Tesla was NOT going to implement either until it could be done over Bluetooth since they have implicitly said they do not support direct wire phone connections to the car's systems.

Also, I'm sure it'd be pretty difficult to get them to run alongside everything else. They'd have to do something like run a VM for it, which is pretty complicated.

I don't think so. CarPlay in particular, and probably Android Auto, as well, are designed to run alongside everything else. CarPlay is something like VNC. The apps still run on the phone, so no VM is necessary.

my airy hand waving speculation is that as all three (Tesla, Carplay & Android) all have the same DNA in linux, java etc that it is very likely to be a x-window type connection.
So the functionality would definitely not be reliant on the head unit.
That is why the incumbent manufacturers like it - it can reduce the cost of the head unit for them.

Tesla is a software company, unlike any of the other auto manufacturers. As a result they don't need to integrate car play or android. It's one of the unique advantages they have over their competition. Just give Tesla a little time. I suspect version 7.0 will match or exceed car play in every meaningful way, minus the unlimited apps aspect.

With all of the autopilot features coming the car will need specialized UI with Tesla controlled navigation to ensure the autopilot functions correctly. There's no way they can rely on Google or Apple to provide the unique navigation data they need for autopilot to function properly.

With all of the autopilot features coming the car will need specialized UI with Tesla controlled navigation to ensure the autopilot functions correctly. There's no way they can rely on Google or Apple to provide the unique navigation data they need for autopilot to function properly.

What does autopilot have to do with it? CarPlay is just like one app to the car's infotainment system. It wouldn't affect autopilot one bit.

What does autopilot have to do with it? CarPlay is just like one app to the car's infotainment system. It wouldn't affect autopilot one bit.

There were comments about using other map alternatives on the 17" screen. I have no idea how autopilot will work, but based on the concept videos posted on Youtube, I suspect that Tesla will want to own every inch of the screen to provide data they think is important over giving that up to a 3rd party that they have no control over. The car's capabilities will be deeply integrated into the new UI, and not just buried in the settings screens as it is now.

Previously Elon said something about the current UI not representing what the car is capable of very well, so it needs an overhaul. I don't see how adding a 3rd party fixes that issue. I'm simply suggesting that we see what Tesla has up their sleeve before insisting on Car Play or Android in the car.

Tesla can either implement mobile device integration themselves or they can find a way to integrate 3rd party (CarPlay or AndroidAuto) products into the onboard software.

In the long run, it may be better for Tesla to focus on 3rd party software integration - which, in the long run, should require fewer Tesla software resources to support and evolve - than trying to stay competitive with their own mobile device integration.

Even before CarPlay and AndroidAuto are widely available, the Model S is already behind the integration offered in similarly and lower priced cars.

While the new calendar app is nice - higher priority should have been more safety-related features - such as hands free text messaging, something that's already available in other cars - even without CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

Hopefully V7 will show more integration - though if Tesla doesn't do something soon, they risk getting very far behind the other car manufacturers - and despite the large touchscreen display, the onboard software could be viewed as increasingly limited.

Tesla is a software company, unlike any of the other auto manufacturers. As a result they don't need to integrate car play or android. It's one of the unique advantages they have over their competition. Just give Tesla a little time. I suspect version 7.0 will match or exceed car play in every meaningful way, minus the unlimited apps aspect.
Tesla may be a software company but they don't have the resources to develop all of these apps by themselves - that's kind of like an iPhone before 3rd party apps were allowed. So they should open it up to others - but if it is a proprietary platform there will unlikely be that much development given the limited market. So we are much better off with a platform like CarPlay or Android Auto where phone apps can be adapted by the car with very little effort.

Either that or the Model S should start running iOS natively.

Developers have a market of over 1 billion smartphone users. There are less than 100,000 potential customers for Tesla 'apps'.

Allowing apps on Tesla's makes questionable sense. Plus giving app developers access to actual car functions is risky for Tesla. At best I can see them partnering with a couple of select companies to deliver their products as they have with Navigon and Slacker.

CarPlay and Android Auto would address so many issues related to entertainment and messaging/mail integration and voice control. The Tesla apps could easily be extended to allow access to car functions using CarPlay and Android Auto under Tesla's control such as HVAC, lighting, and navigation while still allowing them the freedom to enhance those systems to meeting there smart routing goals.

First Volkswagen Cars With CarPlay Support Arriving at Dealerships - Mac Rumors
"Volkswagen today announced that its first 2016 cars with CarPlay support are arriving at dealerships this week, equipped with the company's next-generation CarPlay-enabled MIB-II infotainment system.

In addition to supporting CarPlay, the MIB-II system also includes support for Android Auto..."

So having tried CarPlay on an aftermarket unit, fully featured though, on a family member's car - it isn't all that great. It is basically everything you have now with bluetooth, but just shows items on the screen more. For the most part, Siri just responds like normal as if you were pushing button in your Tesla/other cars, maps shows the map on screen, but Apple Maps is pretty bad compared to Google, wrong POIs still, less detail, bad traffic display/estimation, etc. Other apps are fine for music but Tesla can match that as well as other apps if needed, but for apps outside audio entertainment its usually something you do off the road on phone, passenger does, etc. Don't need that.

In short, I don't like CarPlay much as all. I don't want something undependable (Maps) in my car permanently yet. And I'm a big Apple fan (grin).

Other apps are fine for music but Tesla can match that as well as other apps if needed
That would be great, but Tesla has shown absolutely no interest in improving the lackluster media center.

After two years:

• Still no support for USB music playback from phones (this is a basic feature available on even entry level cars these days)
  • No support to Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon Prime Music and others
  • A terrible interface to use while driving, with sub menus to get to favorites, etc. (favorites should be easy buttons on the main audio page, or selectable by voice, or at least by steering wheel)

Last edited:
It's not about what is Carplay capable currently, but rather opening a window for access to potential kill apps on iOS in the future.
This is a really important part of both Carplay & Android Auto. Once the basic integration capability is built into the head unit you get all the phone improvements as soon as they happen and you have the choice of which bit you want
Not that Tesla are particularly slow about updating the car, you can see why its so attractive for all those other laggards that don't update anything without a large fee and a dealer visit.

That would be great, but Tesla has shown absolutely no interest in improving the lackluster media center.

After two years:

• Still no support for USB music playback from phones (this is a basic feature available on even entry level cars these days)
  • No support to Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon Prime Music and others
  • A terrible interface to use while driving, with sub menus to get to favorites, etc. (favorites should be easy buttons on the main audio page, or selectable by voice, or at least by steering wheel)

But to get to favorites you just press the heart button on the top left of the audio page.