Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm being bitchy and pouty this morning after a very long weekend. Could someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

I've chosen at least four long road trips in lieu of flying the past year and a half and I've very much enjoyed it. Charging me to use the supercharger network makes me sad that I won't be able to justify this in the future. Not to mention, I drive a lot for business to towns ~2-4 hours away and have to charge there. This doesn't make sense to me.

I'm trying to figure out how this isn't another "say one thing then do another with no regard for the customer" that I'm so used to from Tesla.
Did you read the announcement or the posts about it? They're not charging YOU for supercharging, as you already have your Tesla. They're charging for cars ordered after January 1.

I think it would have been better if they said no free supercharging (or an more even more radical no supercharging access at all) within 100 miles of home?

Honestly, I do not think this will make the superchargers any less congested as people who can afford Teslas can definitely afford a full charge for the convenience of charging so quickly.

It sucks though for the owners that have no other charging options, which we know are out there, even if it's just a few.
I also think 400 kWh is not enough annually. They should raise that to at least a 1,000 kWh annually.
It doesn't affect owners that have no other charging options. It only affects FUTURE potential owners. If they really have no other charging options, perhaps an EV isn't the best choice for them if they're not willing to pay for electricity as they would have to pay for gas.

Two quick questions:

1 How much will the price of the vehicles be reduced after Jan 1, 2017 (when they take SCing out of the initial purchase price)?

2 Wouldn't it be cool if the free limit was 1,000 kWh (instead of 400)?

Why would a Tesla reduce the price of the car? They're not taking out SC out of the car. The hardware is still there. The software adjustments they'll have to make to keep cars compatible with the SC network is still there. 400kwh of electricity is still provided annually, which should cover most people's SC needs.

Why should customers get 1000kwh free instead of 400?

Reactions: AMPd
400kWh hours is very small to support long distance trips. A 1000 mile road trip is 4-day weekend!

If Tesla needs to stop abuse of local supercharging, & I agree they SHOULD, geo-fence the owners home, and only permit free supercharging OUTSIDE of a 200 mile radius.
No, because you start off with a full charge at home and should charge overnight where you're staying.

• Disagree
Reactions: Joelc and 511keV
So, just a little perspective from the dense urban East Coast:

The standard rate for charging at parking garages in New York City is *$0.49/kWh*. The only one I have ever seen that's lower (with the exception of a very small number of stalls at municipal garages in the outere boroughs that are usually broken) is $35 flat rate -- which is cheaper only if you bring your Tesla in pretty much dead flat empty.

Tesla salespeople regularly put forth nearby Superchargers as the solution to this problem when they realize the prospective customer lives in Manhattan or Brooklyn. "Oh, most of my other customers just go to Paramus to get their groceries and stop at the supercharger on the way" etc. I don't know how it is in California but that is the reality here. It makes all the disgust and vitriol aimed at people using the SCs for local charging seem pretty disgusting to me. There isn't any charging *at all* within a 40 block radius of where I live. How exactly am I supposed to charge at night? I guess I'm a big jerk for using the SC exactly how the Tesla staff have told me to -- and exactly how I hear them tell other customers every time I'm in the store or service center.

The whole world is not California, shocking as it may seem. Sigh.

Tesla never clearly communicated the policy before. A simple Elon statement was not clear, and then local representatives said different things.

I personally know a couple that cannot charge in their condo in San Francisco. It is a newer building with jammed parking garage and to install electricity in their spot would be ridiculously expensive - like $100K plus. Retrofitting is not an easy answer. Commercial public chargers are not free. They aren't inexpensive but not costly but not also located at every street corner either.

Luckily, they have another small home and charging at an office, so they aren't abusing superchargers that I know of.

I'm somewhat disappointed, as "free" supercharger road trips anywhere in N. America was part of the fun and interest, and part of the Tesla advantage. Not that I'll cancel my model 3 reservation or anything. But anyway I wonder if they will charge more for Model S/X charging than for 3? (Beyond the extra of the presumably larger battery). It would probably make sense because if it were built in to the price of the car, you'd probly be paying more in that case anyway, and also if you're getting a $100k-range vehicle, there's much less chance you can't really afford charging costs. Model 3 should be kept as affordable as possible, should it not?
This makes no sense at all. I've always said if unlimited Supercharging were priced into the car, it would be the same price across the fleet.

Model 3 is more efficient, so it will go further per unit of charge. Less efficient vehicles will have to charge more often - so it will look something like X, S, then 3 as far as how much is paid. Since they're giving 400kWh per year, it might look something like (numbers approximate):

Model X @ 340Wh/mi: 1176 miles
Model S @ 310Wh/mi: 1290 miles
Model 3 @ 280Wh/mi: 1428 miles

Efficiency is what causes a reduction in cost, just like with gasoline. Imagine if the unit cost of gasoline changed based on the MSRP of the vehicle. Instead, the unit cost stays the same and the incentive is towards efficiency.

Where did you see this? I'm pretty sure the context will change its meaning and thus intent. Back in 2013, when the superchargers were announced, there were entire discussions about how superchargers could become a revenue source.
Starting January 2017, All New Teslas Will Only Get 400 kWh Of Annual Free Supercharging, Small Fee Beyond That

From Press Release:
"We will release the details of the program later this year, and while prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity, our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center."

I think (hope?) we all realize that everyone's needs/wants as it pertains to charging and SuperCharging are very different.
That said, I like this move from a personal perspective since we are fortunate enough to be able to charge at home on a regular basis. SuperCharging will only be useful for our road trips (3-4 times per year) so paying up front for it is not likely to be cost effective FOR US. Of course this depends on yet unpublished numbers for costs for pay-per-use charging as well as costs for up front pay-for-life (if that will even be an option. I think it will.).

I do have the same question as Johann Koeber above, will the price of new vehicles come down after 1.1.2017 to reflect the exclusion of free lifetime SuperCharging?
If so, then I predict and am OK with the following:
1. All Tesla vehicles receive annual allocation of SuperCharging kWh (400 as of now). Perhaps this allocation varies per model. Only Tesla knows.
2. SuperCharging over 400 kWh is billed at a "going rate" for the region of the SuperCharger (I suspect it will be cheaper to charge in Wisconsin than in California, for example)
3. Prediction: New Tesla vehicle sales post 1.1.2017 will have an option to buy SuperCharging for life. The amount may/may not be adjusted for different battery capacities, but I honestly don't know if it matters because the option will be priced high enough that it won't makes sense for most people to buy it.

While I am not in a situation that requires the usage of a SuperCharger on a regular basis I can sympathize with those that are and hope they will able to at least realize some cost benefit, via lifetime upgrade or some other mechanism, to using "cheaper" electricity to re-fuel versus gasoline

Why would a Tesla reduce the price of the car? They're not taking out SC out of the car. The hardware is still there. The software adjustments they'll have to make to keep cars compatible with the SC network is still there. 400kwh of electricity is still provided annually, which should cover most people's SC needs.

Why should customers get 1000kwh free instead of 400?

Because free charging was always present in the cars. Before I think if you wanted free supercharging (On certain cars that was optional) it was about $2000 or so extra. Now they give about 1000 miles free and may or may not reduce the price.

Why would a Tesla reduce the price of the car?
Because they don't need to prepay the expected cost of Supercharger usage up front. Ever since the S60 pay-to-enable option, it's been assumed that there was about $2000 baked into the cost of the car that represented that car's lifetime share of the Supercharging network operating costs. As they move to a model where they do cost recovery at time of service, it's not irrational to suppose they could remove that (presumed to be) $2000 from the up-front cost.

Or they could leave the price alone. Whatever. But doing that would amount to a price increase for anyone who road trips much. (Obvious, but: price to travel X,000 miles was: cost of car + wear-and-tear. Now will be: cost of car + wear-and-tear + cost of kWh supercharged. If the first two factors stay the same and you introduce a third nonzero factor, duh.)

Reactions: NSX1992
Where did you see this? I'm pretty sure the context will change its meaning and thus intent. Back in 2013, when the superchargers were announced, there were entire discussions about how superchargers could become a revenue source.
An Update to Our Supercharging Program

"our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center"

Which is different from "not a revenue source" but that's probably what @AMPd meant.

Reactions: AMPd
Because free charging was always present in the cars. Before I think if you wanted free supercharging (On certain cars that was optional) it was about $2000 or so extra. Now they give about 1000 miles free and may or may not reduce the price.
The price of Supercharging has been included in all vehicles for a long time. That $2000 charge for the 60 from long ago will never be forgotten, will it? Infrastructure still needs to be built out in order for people to use it. Giving 1000+ miles of free long distance travel away also means building, maintaining, and paying recurring costs on the Supercharger network.

I am doubtful that Tesla will drop the price, but if they do, I'd be shocked if it were $2000.

Reactions: dgpcolorado