Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I Driving My Tesla Model 3 RWD Too Much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound stupid but I can’t stop driving my Tesla Model 3 RWD. I love the car, I’m comfortable in it, I feel safe it in and love road trips. But I’ve taken a lot includinf from LA….

• Multiple Drives to Palm Springs
  • Drive to Reno
  • Drive to Grants Pass
  • Drive to Spokane and Boise
  • 3 Drives to Phoenix
  • and many other semi long drives
i took delivery on Nov 15 2022 and now have 19,213 miles I had one tire Tostitos at about 8K and they came out the other day said my tires are wearing fine, and don’t need another one and tires should last another 10k miles.

Besides possibly needing tires sooner than later, is there anything else wrong with putting this many miles on?

I know it’s a crazy question but I enjoy driving especially with FSD so much, and I don’t hesitate to take road trips to visit people and for business.

Has anyone else put a lot of miles on their car likes this?

Thanjs!

You slave for your money to buy nice things, nothing wrong with enjoying them!

With all these long drives, do you regret not buying a LR or Performance?
I actually don’t.

• I don’t mind less range…. A 15-20 min break every 2.5 to 3 hours is ok for me
  • The 170kw charge speed is fine. Would be nice with 250kw but no big deal
  • Not having fog lights doesn’t make a difference to me
  • i would have liked the better sound system. That’s probably all I miss… but the one in the car is very good anyway just missing the subwoofer!
im trying to enjoy. I really love using it.

it always felt in a gas car that it never “wanted” to move, You put your foot in the pedal and you were forcing it to go. Tesla feels like it was made to move.

One day I may get an S but for now I’m good with the 3 AWD. Teslas cheapest car is damn good And fun.

I actually don’t.

• I don’t mind less range…. A 15-20 min break every 2.5 to 3 hours is ok for me
  • The 170kw charge speed is fine. Would be nice with 250kw but no big deal
  • Not having fog lights doesn’t make a difference to me
  • i would have liked the better sound system. That’s probably all I miss… but the one in the car is very good anyway just missing the subwoofer!
im trying to enjoy. I really love using it.

it always felt in a gas car that it never “wanted” to move, You put your foot in the pedal and you were forcing it to go. Tesla feels like it was made to move.

One day I may get an S but for now I’m good with the 3 AWD. Teslas cheapest car is damn good And fun.
Awesome!

If it makes you feel any better, my LR M3 has so much road and wind-noise, I can barely hear my music anyways! Also, I have not seen my M3 or MY charge at 250KW once. Last I supercharged my M3 it held at 80KW the entire time to 80%.

Keep on enjoying!

Awesome!

If it makes you feel any better, my LR M3 has so much road and wind-noise, I can barely hear my music anyways! Also, I have not seen my M3 or MY charge at 250KW once. Last I supercharged my M3 it held at 80KW the entire time to 80%.

Keep on enjoying!
Mine usually tops out at about 140kw. I wish they’d get rid of the “urban” chargers that are 78kw. They are past their prime!

I hear the music fine as long as the windows aren’t all open. Yes I still like to cruise with all the windows open. Lol

This may sound stupid but I can’t stop driving my Tesla Model 3 RWD. I love the car, I’m comfortable in it, I feel safe it in and love road trips. But I’ve taken a lot includinf from LA….

• Drive to Reno
  • Drive to Grants Pass
  • 3 Drives to Phoenix
i took delivery on Nov 15 2022 and now have 19,213 miles I had one tire Tostitos at about 8K and they came out the other day said my tires are wearing fine, and don’t need another one and tires should last another 10k miles.

Besides possibly needing tires sooner than later, is there anything else wrong with putting this many miles on?

I know it’s a crazy question but I enjoy driving especially with FSD so much, and I don’t hesitate to take road trips to visit people and for business.

Thanjs!
You are in the ballpark. I had mine in mid December 2022 and it's almost 16,000 miles now. I have been to Vegas, Hoover Dam, SF, San Luis Obispo, LAX, Hollywood, and many cities in SoCal.

I have not seen my M3 or MY charge at 250KW once.
It depends on your arrival SoC (State of Charge) and whether you've had time to pre-condition the battery temperature on your way to the Supercharger. It only charges at 250 KW up to about 20% SoC and takes about 20 minutes to pre-condition the battery temp.
I wish they’d get rid of the “urban” chargers that are 78kw. They are past their prime!
I'd be ok if they kept them but they shouldn't incur overage charges since one is presumably shopping or doing something else while charging.

• Drive to Reno
  • Drive to Grants Pass
  • 3 Drives to Phoenix

Nothing wrong. Keep enjoying your life.

You are in the ballpark. I had mine in mid December 2022 and it's almost 16,000 miles now. I have been to Vegas, Hoover Dam, SF, San Luis Obispo, LAX, Hollywood, and many cities in SoCal.
Let me know if you’re in the valley in LA ever.. we can grab and talk Tesla…

Glad I’m not the only one racking up the miles… I just love to drive this car! I went to Spokane to visit a friend. He liked it and bought a Model Y right away. It’s a great car. I just feel adding more miles doesn’t create the “west and tear” that happens with a gas car (except tires)

Last edited:
Let me know if you’re in the valley in LA ever.. we can grab a. It’s snd talk Tesla…

Glad I’m not the only one racking up the miles… I just love to drive this car! I went to Spokane to visit a friend. He liked it and bought a Model Y right away. It’s a great car. I just feel adding more miles doesn’t create the “west and tear” that happens with a gas car (except tires)
Sure.
Driving a Tesla in this super hot weather is satisfying. I don't have to worry much about AC cost. The AC cools the car very quick.
When I park the car in the garage I don't smell smoke and my garage is not heated up.

Last edited:
I love. my daughter's cute little Model 3. I think it is the best looking Tesla. I drive a Model X Plaid. I need the bigger car.

But I drive it just for fun any time she lets me.
71675430489__F82273C2-35C7-42FF-9973-6EA14EEC406A 2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: rlsd and BitJam
May 2018 purchase here with just shy of 98k miles on it, including 1,400 miles on it last weekend to go see the annular solar eclipse. If you‘re doing road trips frequently, the supercharging.life site is fun to track your travels over the years.

First set of tires lasted something like 55k miles, and I’m nearing the need for my second tire set replacement. A few small maintenance items here and there, most of which were addressed as warranty concerns early on.

As others said, drive it and enjoy it. A lease would not work for me. i’d spend a fortune on mileage overages.